PDA

View Full Version : sobo gatherings?

dragonfeet
06-03-2008, 23:38
Is there any events or festivals that southbounders can look forward to ,Like trail days for the northbounders.

A-Train
06-03-2008, 23:49
Bennington VT had some sort of a hiker feed in late July, when the early SOBO's are coming thru. Not sure if they made this an annual event.

Some SOBO's come to the Gathering also. It will be early October in West Virginia, so most SOBO's are around Harpers Ferry.

There may be some small unanounced trail magic for SOBo's, but nothing large scale like TD's or a Billville Feed. Just not enough SOBO's.

Old Hillwalker
06-04-2008, 05:46
Long Trail Festival August 15 through 17. Rutland, VT

Last year was the first and hopefully the first of many. A really classy, free, gathering. Good music, food, demonstrations and presentations.

http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com/

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 07:01
Is there any events or festivals that southbounders can look forward to ,Like trail days for the northbounders.

not really. SOBOs are out there to hike, they're not out there for trail feeds and such

Marta
06-04-2008, 07:05
Going to The Gathering while you're hiking is really nice. You'll run into people you saw early on, but haven't seen since, and people who have been ahead of you the whole way, and some people who are behind you. The Gathering is not much at all like Trail Days, but then going SOBO is not much like going NOBO, as far as I can tell.

warraghiyagey
06-04-2008, 10:03
not really. SOBOs are out there to hike, they're not out there for trail feeds and such
Well said LW. :)

Red Hat
06-04-2008, 11:05
I plan on going to the gathering this year if I can get a ride from whereever (VA?)

Alligator
06-04-2008, 11:44
I plan on going to the gathering this year if I can get a ride from whereever (VA?)Put a post up on the Ride Board (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447) and you might get a lift:sun.

dragonfeet
06-07-2008, 23:02
Don't be an ass Lonely Wolf I am sure nobo's are not doing it for the hiker feeds either. I mean damn it would have to be one hell of a spread to justify walking a few hundred miles just to get there. I just thought it would add to the experience.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2008, 23:50
Don't be an ass Lonely Wolf I am sure nobo's are not doing it for the hiker feeds either. I mean damn it would have to be one hell of a spread to justify walking a few hundred miles just to get there. I just thought it would add to the experience.

i'm not lonely honey. i'm a smartass. you'll grow to love me. but do avoid hiker feeds. way too many packsniffin wannabes staring at you when you eat

Blissful
06-08-2008, 20:27
I love hiker feeds. I love the people that put on hiker feeds. Hiker feeds rock! Can't wait to do the entire AT in 2011 just for more hiker feeds... (!!!) :)

Anyway, everyone SOBO was heading for Bennngton VT last year for some hiker fest. That was THE thing. I didn't even know it existed. But all the SOBOs do. SOBOS have a different trail culture and mindset all to their own. They also have it a lot tougher, I think. But I credit them for warning me all about Maine...ugh.

hammock engineer
06-08-2008, 22:17
I love hiker feeds. I love the people that put on hiker feeds. Hiker feeds rock! Can't wait to do the entire AT in 2011 just for more hiker feeds... (!!!) :)

Anyway, everyone SOBO was heading for Bennngton VT last year for some hiker fest. That was THE thing. I didn't even know it existed. But all the SOBOs do. SOBOS have a different trail culture and mindset all to their own. They also have it a lot tougher, I think. But I credit them for warning me all about Maine...ugh.

Wow, I didn't see a single feed or hear of one within a couple weeks to forever anywhere I was at. As a southbounder I wouldn't expect much or any trail charity. The cooler at the 2000 togo where the northbounders were complaining about southbounders taking their trail magic, the sodas in the stream in VT that the guy does every year, some random things infront of houses south of Hanover, and random beers twice that someone left at a shelter were all I came across. Can't say I think I missed much.

Oh and Blissful I remember passing you and Paul last year in the whites. It was just north of Zealand Falls. That's awesome that you are going to hike again in a couple years.

rasudduth
06-08-2008, 22:38
On Dec 1 last year Ron Haven in Franklin hosted a Christmas Party of sorts, and there were 10 SOBOs there, so we joked that it was a SOBO traildays (hey, 10 SOBOs in one place is a lot of SOBOs!).

hammock engineer
06-08-2008, 23:01
On Dec 1 last year Ron Haven in Franklin hosted a Christmas Party of sorts, and there were 10 SOBOs there, so we joked that it was a SOBO traildays (hey, 10 SOBOs in one place is a lot of SOBOs!).

That's cool. There were 12 or so traveling around each other about 5 days or so ahead of me for awhile up in PA. I never could make up ground on them while they were all together.

Red Hat
06-09-2008, 09:31

That sounds like so much fun! I hope to be near Franklin Dec 1 this year, so maybe we'll have a repeat...