PDA

View Full Version : My Funny Valentine's story

Miss Janet
02-14-2004, 08:57
In 2001 I decided to surprise a large group of SouthBound thrukhikers by showing up at a shelter with silly kids valentines for each of them and of course... Chocolate!! I knew where they were going to be staying that night so I headed to Newfound Gap so I could hike up to Ice Water Springs. Of course I got a late start so it was dark by the time I started walking. I had my new Tikka headlamp so I was excited to get to try it out. There was a lot of ice in the trail and it took me almost 3 hours to get to the shelter. Everyone was sleeping and the place was packed. I quietly found a empty side and pulled my bag out to go to sleep. The Family From the North was there and the baby of the family knew it was me even in the dark. She woke up and started saying my name and her Mom laughed and said "Miss Janet isn't here you silly girl, go back to sleep". A few hours later I woke up to hear ice pelting the top of the shelter loud enough to drown out the snorers. Of course I woke up needing to go to the privy... and my new headlamp was no where to be found. As it really started to pour freezing rain a hiker on the top level turned his head lamp on and as I was starting to REALLY need to go outside I stood up to ask him if I could borrow his light a second. He sleepily said sure and turned around catching me in the light. His instant reaction was a loud blood chilling horror movie scream!! He continued to scream and scramble back on the platform. Everyone in the shelter was instantly awake and lights were on everywhere. People started say "Miss Janet's here!" "How is Miss Janet here?". The poor scared hiker was finally awake enough to realize that he wasn't seeing The GHOST of Miss Janet and starting to feel really embarrassed and bad for waking the whole shelter up. I was hearing the comments and the discussion about my being in the shelter from outside in the rain in the dark because the screaming had scared the living pee out of me... then I started laughing so hard I had to GO!!!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

MOWGLI
02-14-2004, 09:15
What a great story!

Where were you when I needed you in 2000 Miss Janet? I had to be woken at Icewater Springs by an obnoxious lawyer on his cell phone at 6:00 AM.

Happy Valentines Day Miss Janet!

I hope you get at least a good percentage of the love that you give us hikers, coming back your way. Wish I was in Erwin to give you a big hug. XXXOOO

Little Bear

Brushy Sage
02-19-2004, 12:28
Wow, that would have freaked me out too! Happy belated Valentine's Day!

Jaybird
02-19-2004, 12:48
Great Story!

Hope i get to share some trail-Chocolates @ Miss Janet's next year! ;)

(along w/ the rest of the motley bunch known as the "Model-T Crew": Model-T., DragonFly,TooTall, Jigsaw, Walmart & me)

see ya'll UP the trail!