PDA

View Full Version : New Tripoli Camp site (pa)

Copperhead
06-03-2008, 23:46
Hello, does anyone know about this location? Im planning a hike from rt.309 to the DWG. May camp at the New Tripoli site and was wondering if anyone ells has and any info about that area of the trail will be greatly appreciated.
And how is the parking area at the rt.309 crossing?
Thank you!

gumball
06-04-2008, 05:28
Its been a couple of years since we hiked this section, but I remember the Rt 309 parking to be ample and, at that time, safe (no vandalism--not sure about now). We did camp at the New Tripoli campsite, which wasn't too far from the parking lot and, as I remember it, it was a nice spacey, grassy area, very adequate for camping. Can't recall the water situation.

YeOldeBackpacker
06-04-2008, 11:40
Parking lot is on right side of road off of 309, the camp site is north on left hand side about 2 miles from parking lot real easy hike to that area,
You can PM me if you want more info
Hello, does anyone know about this location? Im planning a hike from rt.309 to the DWG. May camp at the New Tripoli site and was wondering if anyone ells has and any info about that area of the trail will be greatly appreciated.
And how is the parking area at the rt.309 crossing?
Thank you!

rubyvermonter
06-04-2008, 12:27
I section hiked over Memorial Day week-end and spent a night at New Tripoli Campsite. There is a large campsite area and if you follow the stream down past the "spring" site, you will find a second, large campsite area. There are also smaller tenting areas in the vicinity. The water source was very good. There is no privy, although there's a nice sitting area around a fire pit.

Rubyvermonter

emerald
06-04-2008, 12:58
A shelter at the site referred to in this thread was removed in the 1970s. I don't have the exact year or date, but believe it was toward the latter portion of that decade. shelterbuilder may know or could find out should someone wish to know when. Just thought hikers interested in AT history might want to add to their knowledge.

shelterbuilder
06-04-2008, 19:28
A shelter at the site referred to in this thread was removed in the 1970s. I don't have the exact year or date, but believe it was toward the latter portion of that decade. shelterbuilder may know or could find out should someone wish to know when. Just thought hikers interested in AT history might want to add to their knowledge.

I stayed at this location when the shelter was still standing (which was back in the late 70's), before I got involved with BMECC...met one of the past presidents of the club there - in fact, it was because of this chance meeting that I joined BMECC.

Because this shelter was so easy to get to, it was the target of frequent parties. The caretaker at the time (a member of both BMECC and the Allentown Hiking club, I believe) became so throughly disgusted with the amount of trash that he was constantly hauling out that he tore down the shelter (without authorization from the club), instantly solving the problem, but making himself "persona non grata" at the same time. (At least, that's how the story was told to me! ;)) However, the site remains well-used as a campsite, mainly because of the nearby water source.

If I recall correctly, since the site is on the north side of the ridge, it is a fairly quiet place...the south side of the ridge is where all of the development and highways are located. This section of trail (from Old Dresher Road to Bake Oven Road) is maintained by the Allentown Hiking Club. Enjoy yourself.

pyroman53
06-04-2008, 20:12
This was my first experience on the AT - a night in this area back in 1970. With a gaggle of Boy Scouts on a rainy, lightening night. Couldn't find the shelter, got soaked, and had a BLAST!! Took my Mom there in 1971 for a Mother's Day dayhike...took her "out to eat." She still talks about it.

wilconow
06-04-2008, 20:14
Being a consumate reader of labels, I always think of that campsite whenever I'm drinking Deep Park Bottled Water. It says New Tripoli, PA is a source.

MagicSFK
06-04-2008, 20:49
Ah yes, I remember many a dayhike or weekend trips in that area back in the 80's when I lived in PA. I used to love "introducing" people to the rocky trails of PA, especially the Knife Edge, Baer Rocks, Bake Oven Knob and Lehigh Gap. The New Tripoli Campsite was usually just a 10-minute rest stop even if we weren't tired...it just seemed to invite you in to sit a few minutes.

emerald
06-05-2008, 15:02
...that's how the story was told to me! ;)

I heard the same probably from the same person although I wasn't about to mention the story or names of the individuals involved.:-?

ki0eh
06-05-2008, 20:01
Being a consumate reader of labels, I always think of that campsite whenever I'm drinking Deep Park Bottled Water. It says New Tripoli, PA is a source.

Yes, a few years ago Deer Park had a radio ad campaign talking about how their water was so good because it came from near the Appalachian Trail! :eek::D

To their credit they also donated probably several pallet-loads of water bottles to the 2001 ATC Biennial Meeting at Shippensburg. The hydration was most welcome!

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 20:46
I heard the same probably from the same person although I wasn't about to mention the story or names of the individuals involved.:-?

"...the names have been changed to protect the guilty!" And what makes it funnier is that, several years earlier, the Appleby Cabin was torn down for much the same reason.

ki0eh
06-05-2008, 20:53
Care to enlighten us on the correct pronunciation of "New Tripoli"?

emerald
06-05-2008, 20:55
"...the names have been changed to protect the guilty!" And what makes it funnier is that, several years earlier, the Appleby Cabin was torn down for much the same reason.

I know a bit about how Hertlein met it's end. I'll fill you in on what I know sometime.

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 21:17
Care to enlighten us on the correct pronunciation of "New Tripoli"?

New Tri-POL-i.

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 21:24
I know a bit about how Hertlein met it's end. I'll fill you in on what I know sometime.

I'd like that. I've heard some stories from some of the now-departed old-timers in the club, but I suspect that they may have been too close to the action to have been REALLY objective about it. I know that some of the "old work-horses" of the club - even some who had been in favor of shelters for decades - eventually got tired of hauling trash and making the same repairs year after year, and adopted a "tear-'em-all-down" attitude later in life.

ki0eh
06-05-2008, 21:51
Were those cabins mentioned in WWS, like Applebee and Hertlein, purpose-built for the A.T. before Earl's first thru-hike?? What about the reservoir at Hertlein? (Or do we need a Hertlein topic?)

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 22:05
Were those cabins mentioned in WWS, like Applebee and Hertlein, purpose-built for the A.T. before Earl's first thru-hike?? What about the reservoir at Hertlein? (Or do we need a Hertlein topic?)

We probably need a Hertlein thread.

BMECC was already building shelters/cabins back in the 20's - somewhere in my personal files, I have a copy of the blueprints from the original Rentschler Cabin along Rt. 183 (given to me by the architect of the Rausch Gap shelter long before he died). The design was QUITE a bit different from what we are used to seeing today. I don't know exactly when the original shelters were built - I have that info somewhere - but there were several on BMECC's trail section by the time of Earl's first thru. Dr. Rentschler had gotten a couple of brothers interested in trailside shelter building in the early days of the club, and I understand that these brothers - the Seip brothers, I think - built several of them. Of the original "first generation" shelters, only Bake Oven Knob remains - that one dates from 1937!

emerald
06-06-2008, 06:42
We probably need a Hertlein thread.

A Schubert's Gap thread which covers general information related to it might be a good idea. It should be put in the correct location can be found by those who seek it later.

Were those cabins mentioned in WWS, like Applebee and Hertlein, purpose-built for the A.T. before Earl's first thru-hike?? What about the reservoir at Hertlein?

The dam at Schubert's Gap was an early hydroelectirc venture built by Blue Mountain Electric Company before WWI. It was sold to Metropolitan Edison in the late 1920s. The history of it is well documented. I once gathered a thick folder full of nothing but information about it.

There have been several articles published in Historical Review of Berks County related to the AT that include dates, etc. I can provide this information to history enthusiasts who want it.

These sources indicate Applebee and Hertlein shelters were built in 1930. Rentschler followed in 1933.