PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to the trailhead (especially in VT)

ShelterLeopard
06-03-2008, 23:54
So, the title really says it all; I'm section hiking Vermont in the summer, and I need to figure out how to get to the VT trailhead, northbound, starting on the VT/MA line. I'm in New Jersey, have no car, and am having a lot of trouble figuring this out. Is there a train or bus that comes at least really near the trailhead?

Quoddy
06-04-2008, 07:42
I couldn't find a bus that went close to Millford, NJ that went to the trailhead, but Peter Pan Bus Lines, for one, goes to Williamstown, MA out of New York or Newark on a once a day basis. Any bus that goes to either Williamstown or North Adams will be within walking distance of the trail. Pine Cobble Trail out of Williamstown joining the AT in 2.1 miles (LT 3.3) or the AT out of North Adams (3.8 to LT).

Jeff
06-04-2008, 07:53
At the northern end AMTRAK departs White River Jct, VT daily. That is very close to Hanover, NH.

Alligator
06-04-2008, 08:51
There's a rail station in Whitehouse Station and a NJ Transit Bus runs out of Clinton. The NJ part is easy, I don't know about the rest.

ShelterLeopard
06-05-2008, 14:53
Yeah, I can get out of New Jersey alright, it's just the getting into Vermont part that I'm having trouble with.