PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Bags

Montana Mac
06-04-2008, 08:44
Greetings

Hope this is posted in right place.

Planning thru hike 2009 starting early March and need to replace my bag. Looking for input from anybody that has experience with any of the below listed bags. The reason I'm looking at Big Agnes is that I already have their sleeping pad.

Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15° Sleeping Bag

Big Agnes Farwell 0° Sleeping Bag

Big Agnes Storm King 0° Sleeping Bag

Thanks in advance

envirodiver
06-04-2008, 09:43
Greetings

Hope this is posted in right place.

Planning thru hike 2009 starting early March and need to replace my bag. Looking for input from anybody that has experience with any of the below listed bags. The reason I'm looking at Big Agnes is that I already have their sleeping pad.

Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15° Sleeping Bag

Big Agnes Farwell 0° Sleeping Bag

Big Agnes Storm King 0° Sleeping Bag

Thanks in advance

I have a 15 deg. Crater Big Agnes bag (discontinued model). I love the sleeve in the bottom for your sleeping pad. I toss and turn and the bag never slides off the pad. Big Agnes bags are a bit more roomy too which is nice to roll over at night and the bag doesn't go with me. However, I think the rating is a bit optimistic, but I never have used the hood and really cinched the bag up, so that may be the difference. Just don't like hoods unless absolutely neccessary.

Blissful
06-04-2008, 09:46
15 degree is fine for a March start.

I just got my hubby the BA Zirkle here on the WB gear list and he "loves" it.

jhick
06-04-2008, 09:48
If you like the pad, you will love using it with their bags...

EMAN
06-05-2008, 08:11
I think the temp ratings are a bit optimistic too. I woke up on the BMT not long ago in my Zirkel 20 degree (which is about what the outside temp was) cold. Still, I like the BA stuff.

generoll
06-05-2008, 08:18
I'm with EMAN on the ratings, but I am a cold sleeper. The zipper takes a bit of patience since it's not really on the side, but a bit below the side. I've learned to lean away from it to pull the zipper higher when I move it so it's less likely to get stuck. Well made bags and they stand behind their product.

rpenczek
06-05-2008, 08:22
and love it. For me the temp rating is right on, I have had it down to 5 degrees F and been very comfortable. When its really cold (10 or less), I stuff a fleese around my feet and wear fleese legs and shirt and knit cap.

This bag is compact, light and works very well with BA's 15 degree air core pad. This bag also fits me quite well (I am pretty big).

dbranco
06-05-2008, 09:57
I own the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15° Sleeping Bag. I agree regarding the temp ratings being optimistic, I normally have a fleece liner to ensure I don't get cold. I have used the hood and must say it has a loose fit for me. I like the core pad design although it would be nice if it self inflated. I have had problems with the zipper getting stuck but nothing would make me want to look for a replacement bag other than changing to a 0° rating and it would still be a BA because of the room.

ToyYoda
06-05-2008, 12:43
I love my big agnes, extremely roomy and packs down small. I have a 40 degree yampa, and I think it all depends how you sleep, cause it was a bit rainy and cold last time I went out and I still had to unzip cause I was hot. I also have a insulated air core so I think that lowers the degree rating a bit.

I HIGHLY recommend BA, for price and quality I think they are a great buy.

gravityman
06-05-2008, 16:01
Their sleeping pad will work with any sleeping bag, so that shouldn't be the reason.

I suggest Western Mountaineering Versalite for an early march start. A VERY warm 10 degree bag at 2 lbs. I can't imagine a better bag for that time (we started with them in 2005 and they kept us warm, and we NEED that warmth many a night)

Gravity (and Danger)