PDA

View Full Version : 1987 National Geographic article about the AT

Flush2wice
06-04-2008, 10:21
I finally found a copy of this issue. It's really a pretty good article and it spawned a wave of through hikers in the following years. It's called A Tunnel Through Time and I'd be happy to scan it and e-mail it to anyone who is interested.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 10:47
I finally found a copy of this issue. It's really a pretty good article and it spawned a wave of through hikers in the following years. It's called A Tunnel Through Time and I'd be happy to scan it and e-mail it to anyone who is interested.

i just missed being in the photo of the guys eating half gallons at pine grove furnace

Cuffs
06-04-2008, 11:34
what issue of that year?

The Old Fhart
06-04-2008, 11:35
February 1987, pages 216-243

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2008, 11:38
I'm interested in the scan. Email addy has been PM'ed

Rain Man
06-04-2008, 12:38
That's a magnanimous offer and I'd love to take you up on it.

If you'll click on my profile, you can email me directly from there.

Thanks!

Rain:sunMan

wilconow
06-04-2008, 12:56
Am I missing something or does it make more sense just to post the scan here rather than emailing?

Rockhound
06-04-2008, 13:00
if you have any articles on hair bands, ronald reagan, or the challenger explosion id like em too

Lugnut
06-04-2008, 13:09
Am I missing something or does it make more sense just to post the scan here rather than emailing?

Might violate some copyright laws? :-?

emerald
06-04-2008, 13:29
I might still have a copy if I didn't give it away or recycle it.

emerald
06-04-2008, 14:33
I no longer have it. While looking, I pulled and read the ATN which followed since I remembered this NG article mentioned in it.

The March/April 1987 ATN was a blast from the past. There was quite a bit going on and reported in that issue!

Rain Man
06-04-2008, 15:39
Well, since posting my message this morning, I found this issue on eBay for a dollar and bought it. So now I don't need a scan after all.

Nevertheless, thanks anyway and it was a very gracious offer!

Appalachian Tater
06-04-2008, 16:22
Isn't this the issue that Wingnut tried to sell for $75 or something like that when he went out of business?

Pete Moss
06-04-2008, 17:12
National Geographic is looking for a hiker or hikers to follow for a new 1 hour documentary. They are looking for someone who has done the trail and would like to jump around and do bits and peices with them to meet deadlines. Anyone interested should email

[email protected]

Flush2wice
06-04-2008, 17:32
My scanner is acting up. I'll try and get it working so be patient you guys. Sorry for the delay.

Flush2wice
06-04-2008, 19:25
I got the scanner working, what a PITA. Driver issues. I'll scan it tonite. It's 15 or 20 pages and I'll have to figure out how to format it. I'll probably put it on my website for you guys to download. I'll give a link via pm or e-mail to everyone that contacted me.

Flush2wice
06-04-2008, 19:36
i just missed being in the photo of the guys eating half gallons at pine grove furnace
There's no ice cream eating photo in the article. But I have a recollection of seeing that somewhere. A follow up article? Someone here must know.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 19:38
There's no ice cream eating photo in the article. But I have a recollection of seeing that somewhere. A follow up article? Someone here must know.

it's for sure in nat. geo.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 19:41
it's for sure in nat. geo.

nope. you're right. it was in a calendar

Bilko
06-04-2008, 23:06
With National Geographic being so old you would think there would be a dozen articles on the AT, not so. There has only been about three articles. The February 1987 issue "Appalachian Trail, Tunnel Through Time. A nice artilce entitled, "The Friendly Huts of the White Mountains" in NG August 1961 writtten by Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas. I also have a copy of the article from NG August 1949 entitled 'Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia, a year after Earl Shaffer completed his 2,000 miles. The 1949 article is 35 pages long. Lone Wolf, there was no ice cream challenge in '49.

The NG society did put out a great book in 1988 'Mountain Adventure" Exploring the Appalachian Trail. But still no picture of the Ice Cream Challenge, I will keep searching. I know I have seen an old photograph somewhere of a couple of guys sitting outside trying to eat a 1/2 gallon.

The Old Fhart
06-05-2008, 06:49
Bilko-"The NG society did put out a great book in 1988 'Mountain Adventure" Exploring the Appalachian Trail."Don't forget the Ron Fisher NG book "The Appalachian Trail" published in 1972. He also wrote the 1988 NG book.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2008, 08:57
Don't forget the Ron Fisher NG book "The Appalachian Trail" published in 1972. He also wrote the 1988 NG book.

I have both books and still enjoy looking through them.

Flush2wice
06-05-2008, 14:33
E-mailing it out was a pain so I uploaded it to my website (http://www.pinerootpottery.com/nat_geo_at_article.htm). If anyone else wants to see it you'll have to go there.

Bilko
06-05-2008, 14:52
I did notice that Ron Fisher had written a previous book about the AT. I will start looking for a copy of that one. Any pictures of the ice cream challenge in the '72 book?

jhick
06-05-2008, 15:03
E-mailing it out was a pain so I uploaded it to my website (http://www.pinerootpottery.com/nat_geo_at_article.htm). If anyone else wants to see it you'll have to go there.

cool, thanks !!!

Bear Bag
06-05-2008, 15:21
Thanks for scanning it and providing a link. I have it bookmarked.

The Old Fhart
06-05-2008, 16:15
Bilko-"Any pictures of the ice cream challenge in the '72 book?"No ice cream at all.

rafe
06-05-2008, 17:35

Thanks for doing that and posting the link. :sun

Rain Man
06-05-2008, 18:14
I also have a copy of the article from NG August 1949 entitled 'Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia, a year after Earl Shaffer completed his 2,000 miles. The 1949 article is 35 pages long.

Bilko, you willing to scan and share that article? I hope, I hope. :)

Hikerhead
06-05-2008, 19:01
Thanks for scanning that article. One picture is of the old Cloverdale Post Office which in 1977 I gave a ride to a girl thru hiking. The old PO is still there, it's now someones storage shed. I was 17 in my 71 Nova.

Flush2wice
06-05-2008, 19:20
I also have a copy of the article from NG August 1949 entitled 'Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia, a year after Earl Shaffer completed his 2,000 miles. The 1949 article is 35 pages long. quote]
[quote=Rain Man;638008]Bilko, you willing to scan and share that article? I hope, I hope. :)

ditto that. I'l scan it if you mail me the mag.

cool, thanks !!!

Thanks for scanning it and providing a link. I have it bookmarked.

Thanks for doing that and posting the link. :sun

Thanks for scanning that article. One picture is of the old Cloverdale Post Office which in 1977 I gave a ride to a girl thru hiking. The old PO is still there, it's now someones storage shed. I was 17 in my 71 Nova.
My pleasure. I've been on the lookout for this issue for a while. I've seen it many times, but the owners wouldn't part with it. I got this one at my kid's school. They got a load of NG mags dumped on them and don't have much space. Glad I could share it.

emerald
06-05-2008, 20:37
I have both books and still enjoy looking through them.

Me too. My copies belonged to the architect of Rausch Gap Shelter and were given to me by his spouse after he passed on.

I like the earlier book better although the second book does contain photos of the more famous shelterbuilder. I remember meeting Ron and Sam at Rentschler Aboretum when we were working on Eagle's Nest Shelter.

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 21:14
Me too. My copies belonged to the architect of Rausch Gap Shelter and were given to me by his wife after he passed on.

I like the earlier book better although the second book contains photos of the famous WhiteBlaze poster known as shelterbuilder. I remember meeting Ron and Sam at Rentschler Aboretum when we were working on Eagle's Nest Shelter.

Please, no applause! :rolleyes: That was a matter of being in the right place at the right time - nothing more. They needed some specific photos, and they asked me to help out. So I did.

It's funny how things happen: I got into more trouble over those photos than over anything else I've ever done with/for BMECC. Between the photos, the article that I wrote that year for ATN about the shelter project, and becoming a very popular person within the club because of the project (almost overnight), I incurred the anger of someone in the club whom I considered to be both my mentor and my friend. And circumstances later prevented any attempt to heal the rift. :(

Askus3
06-05-2008, 21:40
My wife, daughter and I were up at Bascom Lodge on the summit of Greylock where we had a two night reservation at the time they were putting together this feature article Columbus Day weekend, 1986. My daughter was age 4 at the time. There was a dense fog and my daughter had on this bright red rain jacket we were coming out of the woods into a clearing at the summit and the NG folks approached me and had me sign a waiver and took a roll of film of my daughter. I guess the pictures did not make the cut. But I always wondered whatever happened to that roll of film and the pictures. Do you think it could be stored somewhere in the archives of NG? Or dumped ages ago into a dumpster to be forgotten. I'd love to see what photos were taken and how they came out.

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 21:53
My wife, daughter and I were up at Bascom Lodge on the summit of Greylock where we had a two night reservation at the time they were putting together this feature article Columbus Day weekend, 1986. My daughter was age 4 at the time. There was a dense fog and my daughter had on this bright red rain jacket we were coming out of the woods into a clearing at the summit and the NG folks approached me and had me sign a waiver and took a roll of film of my daughter. I guess the pictures did not make the cut. But I always wondered whatever happened to that roll of film and the pictures. Do you think it could be stored somewhere in the archives of NG? Or dumped ages ago into a dumpster to be forgotten. I'd love to see what photos were taken and how they came out.

They may still be hiding in the NG archives - e-mail NG and find out what their policy is. (Try the Special Publications division.) You might be able to get copies - we asked for duplicates at the time the photos were being taken and they sent us copies while the book was still being edited. :D

shelterbuilder
06-05-2008, 21:54

OOPS - not the Special Publications division - didn't read entire post.

The Scribe
06-05-2008, 22:17

Thank you!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 22:23
Fantastic read - thank you so much, Flush-Twice

Blissful
06-05-2008, 22:31
I have the National Geog disk set. Have to look for the articles, sounds interesting.

TOW
06-05-2008, 22:33
Well, since posting my message this morning, I found this issue on eBay for a dollar and bought it. So now I don't need a scan after all.

Nevertheless, thanks anyway and it was a very gracious offer!

I'll buy it for two from ya when you're done!

Ghosthiker
06-06-2008, 05:02
Let me add my thanks, too.

StarLyte
06-06-2008, 06:15
Anything on Gene Espy or Earl Shaffer I'd like a copy - let me know, and thank you!

[email protected]

Marta
06-06-2008, 06:44
Thanks for posting the article!

Grampie
06-06-2008, 08:51
Reading the article in NG back in "87" started the spark burning to thru-hike the AT. The fire finally ignited in 2000 when I retired. In 2001 I finished the trail. It was an experience that I will always remember and cherish. :sun

Rain Man
06-06-2008, 11:31
I'll buy it for two from ya when you're done!

I also found a copy on CraigsList at the same time. Bought them both, as it turned out. Neither has arrived yet, though.

OregonHiker
06-09-2008, 20:18

Thanks for scanning and posting the article. I see Warren Doyle was mentioned as the most prolific AT hiker as of 1987.

double d
06-10-2008, 00:02
I bought my copy on Ebay, so take a look at that site when you can, great article. I love the photo of the guy crossing the river in Maine (can't spell the dang word).

veteran
06-14-2008, 10:26

veteran
06-14-2008, 10:42
Anything on Gene Espy or Earl Shaffer I'd like a copy - let me know, and thank you!

Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine Online has a article on Gene Espy.

http://gtalumni.org/Publications/magazine/fall05/article0.html

Images on Whiteblaze (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22534&c=534)

Cookerhiker
06-14-2008, 12:32
Good article - thanks for finding it and posting.

Deerleg
06-15-2008, 08:43
The article mentions the Cumberland Valley near Carlisle PA (Boiling Springs) “hikers must follow busy highways and country roads for 14 miles”

I walked through most of the Valley in February and it now runs across fields and protected woods...very nice walk and a very big change from what it must have been like in the 80's.

Rain Man
06-15-2008, 09:54
Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine Online has a article on Gene Espy.

Great article! And this is said by a Clemson man! LOL

warren doyle
06-19-2008, 15:35
Thanks for scanning and posting the article. I see Warren Doyle was mentioned as the most prolific AT hiker as of 1987.

It was true then as it is true now (20 years later).

I enjoyed the crossing of the Cumberland Valley on roads and I opposed the threat/use of eminent domain to get the trail off the roads.

It was quite the controversial land acquisition process.

max patch
06-19-2008, 16:27
I enjoyed the crossing of the Cumberland Valley on roads and I opposed the threat/use of eminent domain to get the trail off the roads.

I imagine this would be hard to believe for those who weren't fortunate enough to do the Cumberland Valley road walk in the heat of the PA summer (July 19 for me) but this was one of the most anticipated and memorable days on the trail.

Or as Darrell Maret put it, "The dreaded, yet fondly remembered, Cumberland Valley Roadwalk".

rafe
06-19-2008, 16:43
I never minded the road walks very much. Rather enjoyed them, most of the time. A nice change of pace from the green tunnel. Near Falls Village CT I took a short "accidental" road walk, which I'm pretty sure was the old AT -- I was pretty sure the phone poles had painted-over blazes.

It was a blistering, hot muggy late-June day. Had I taken the "real" AT, I'd have walked through a reedy marsh along the Hoosatonic. The road walk (old AT?) was a shady tree-lined country lane. At the end of that lane was Falls Village and a package store. :D :banana

veteran
06-22-2008, 16:18
[QUOTE=Bilko;I also have a copy of the article from NG August 1949 entitled 'Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia, a year after Earl Shaffer completed his 2,000 miles. The 1949 article is 35 pages long. .[/QUOTE]

Mount Oglethorpe Photo from the article:

double d
06-22-2008, 17:11
The 1949 NG article is very detailed about the path of the trail (I even like the ad for a $695 t.v.!) as it existed in 1949 (of course). What I thought was interesting was the gear that people seem to be carrying, mostly surplus WWII backpacks, high top full leather boots and maybe wool pants? One issue that seems true then and today, people truly supported the maintance of the trail. The author even had a nice reference to Earl, who had completed the trail a year earlier. Very interesting look at post WWII America.

Rain Man
06-22-2008, 20:00
.... I also have a copy of the article from NG August 1949 entitled 'Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia, a year after Earl Shaffer completed his 2,000 miles. The 1949 article is 35 pages long. Lone Wolf, there was no ice cream challenge in '49. ...

I never heard back, or did I miss something? Bilko, can you scan that article for us? I'd love to see it. I love old articles.

Flush2wice
06-24-2008, 16:25
Veteran took my scans and managed to stitch the 2 page photos back together. I posted that version too. It's also a smaller file and will be easier for dial-up users to download.
Here's the link. (http://www.pinerootpottery.com/nat_geo_at_article.htm)
He also has a scanned version of the 1949 article and I'll post that one too as soon as he sends it.
Thanks Veteran!