PDA

View Full Version : Bangor Maine Truck Stop @ 95 & 2/100

Freeleo
06-04-2008, 12:13
has anyone had success in hitching a ride north to Medway from this truck stop just west of bangor

Dysart's
530 Coldbrook Rd
Hermon, ME 04401

i have a CDL and am just curious if anyone might have any imput on the odds of this trying to plan ahead and keep it as cheap as possible

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/<iframe width=

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=truck+stop&near=Bangor,+ME&fb=1&cid=0,0,11305471545568377854&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

paddler
06-04-2008, 12:47
not that i know of i used to work there

Freeleo
06-04-2008, 12:53
not that i know of i used to work there

maybe you should head to Baxter then paddler;)

emerald
06-04-2008, 13:10
has anyone had success in hitching a ride north to Medway from this truck stop just west of bangor

Dysart's
530 Coldbrook Rd
Hermon, ME 04401

There will be traffic in both directions. Make a sign. I'd hold out for a ride from someone going long. I can't imagine waiting more than an hour, but I've been wrong before.

Study your map and don't get stranded by accepting a ride to a minor exit. If you are fortunate, you will catch a ride with someone headed for "The County."

paddler
06-04-2008, 13:33
i would if could drive but my eyes are to bad

mudhead
06-04-2008, 18:14
You will have better luck if you get on the north side of Bangor, at The Bangor Mall, Hogan Road.

Dysarts is way south of everything.

Once you have passed Hogan Road, you have cleared town and can tromp on it driving. If that makes sense in a CDL sense. 57 miles to Medway.

Poor access on/off from Dysart's to Hogan Road.

Freeleo
06-05-2008, 11:59
You will have better luck if you get on the north side of Bangor, at The Bangor Mall, Hogan Road.

Dysarts is way south of everything.

Once you have passed Hogan Road, you have cleared town and can tromp on it driving. If that makes sense in a CDL sense. 57 miles to Medway.

Poor access on/off from Dysart's to Hogan Road.

so you think i have a good shot on the 187 exit which is 3.3 miles from the bus station at Union and Main //than at the fuel island at the truck stop (dysarts) asking if anyone is headed north on 95??

can you tell me if there is a big rig fueling station at the 187 exit on hogan road???

it seems that you might be suggesting hitching at the on ramp or at the mall???

thanks and any feedback is much appreciated

mudhead
06-05-2008, 19:21
http://maps.google.com/

Well that page did not open. I plugged in Hogan Road, Bangor, ME. #187 is shown if you + a few times. I would tromp right down the on ramp to 95. Haskell road has a retro shiny Denny's, for visual reference. This would give you all (most) of the northbound traffic that had been at the Mall, Walmart, Home Depot, Sam's, blah, blah. Most of the traffic has to turn to go North. You will have poor luck at the intersection, but down the ramp there is room, and the traffic on 95 can see you.

No truck island at #187.

If you are coming in by Greyhound, at Main and Union, it would be far more frig getting to Dysart's. And the wrong direction. Lots of stuff near the dog terminal.

All you need is a sign that says Baxter.

boarstone
06-06-2008, 09:30
why not just take the bus all the way to Medway? Your chances of a ride into the park would greatly increase...

paddler
06-06-2008, 10:02
dosn't the hostel in millinocket provide a special to hikers, they pick you up feed and board you than take you to the park? i think it would be cheaper than paying for gas from bangor.

Old Grouse
06-06-2008, 10:10
I have a CDL too, but never thought it would help me hitching. Am I missing something?

Freeleo
06-06-2008, 12:35
I have a CDL too, but never thought it would help me hitching. Am I missing something?

well i just figure it is easier approaching truckers at the fuel island for a hitch if i can show thema CDL as "one of them"...kinda like hikers helping hikers

the good news is that i spoke with a dispatcher at a trucking company a mile or two from the bus station and there is a really good chance they will be able to let me hop in a northbound truck and get dropped off at the medway exit...calls for a dancing banana:bananaor two:banana

emerald
06-06-2008, 13:17
Regardless, your chances of catching a ride all the way to Medway from there would be good. Of what use is local traffic to you anyway?

It's a well known place where truckers stop to eat. The portions were generous and it always struck me as a very friendly place when I ate there. Sometimes I drove there just for breakfast and to listen to truckers talk "business" while they ate when I was a student at UMO.

You'll like the place if it hasn't changed and I doubt it has.

Autumnwind
06-06-2008, 13:38
Check out this offer from appalachian trail lodge millinocket. Will pick up in Medway and bring you to the park along with a stay there. Sounds good and would make your hike more secure. Get off the bus and let the rest happen.

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/thru_hikers.php

Lone Wolf
06-06-2008, 13:45
it's only 10 miles from medway to millinocket. $70 is high. just hitch

emerald
06-06-2008, 14:38
Make and use a BAXTER STATE PARK sign. If you just get a ride to Millinocket, walk to the other end of town. Once there, nearly all traffic will be like-minded people headed your way.

I don't care what the UL fanatics say, all real hikers carry a permanent black marker and know where to find cardboard.:p

emerald
06-06-2008, 14:57
Click on legendary hiker (http://gtalumni.org/Publications/magazine/fall05/article0.html) to view an article from Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine about Gene Espy, the 2nd person to thru-hike the A.T. I am fortunate to have met him years ago at one of the early ALDHA functions. I heard he may attend The Gathering this fall.

It's a good article, but you let the rattlesnakes alone, ya heah? Times have changed since 1951.

boarstone
06-06-2008, 15:15
dosn't the hostel in millinocket provide a special to hikers, they pick you up feed and board you than take you to the park? i think it would be cheaper than paying for gas from bangor.

...ditto...

Freeleo
06-06-2008, 15:18
Espy says. "I was out to see God in nature."

thanks SOG:)

emerald
06-06-2008, 15:25
He's there and you needn't look hard. You should make it your business to attend The Gathering and thank Gene yourself for those inspiring words.