PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding where to go...

CKarpy
06-04-2008, 15:24
I'm new to the AT (but not to hiking/camping) and I'm not really sure how things work up there. I want to hike part of the AT for my senior trip with some friends (2 other guys). we want to do 80 - 100 miles in 6 days give or take. I plan to drive because it's easier go get gear there and also cheaper (sort of).

I have a couple questions:
1. Where should I go if I'm new to the AT?
-I normally backpack in Florida so I'm not too used to mountains... at all..
2. Wherever I go, where should I park my car?
-will I be able to leave my car at the trail head for the time of the trip?

I'd appreciate ANY advice or tips you guys could give me!

Thanks a bunch! :D:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2008, 15:29
Since you are not accustomed to mountain climbing, I would recommend you look at the Shenandoah National Park portion of the trail in VA. It has multiple places to access the trailheads via a roadway and parking areas.

Link to the 2007 ALDHA Companion for VA (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va07.pdf) to give you some idea of what the area is like.

max patch
06-04-2008, 15:39
Couple quick comments as I've already got one foot out the door...

From Orlando you're about 10 hours from Springer, the start of the trail. I'd suggest starting at Amicalola State Park which has an 8 mile blue blaze trail to Springer. You can safely leave your car there all week.

Find a shuttler and get a ride north 60-80 whatever miles north and hike south to your car. Always get the shuttle out of the way first and hike to your car.

If you don't mind driving longer than 10 hours then consider the Damascus area. Thats about another 6 hours from Atlanta; or 14 give or take from Orlando.

I would avoid Great Smokey National Park and the Shenandoah National Park -- too busy and too many rules.

If you tell us how long you want to spend in the car we could probably help more. Also what time of year this will be done.

MY first backpacking trip was driving from Miami to GSMNP. Looong drive!

wilconow
06-04-2008, 15:43
If you're in good athletic shape don't worry about it and just take on the mountains. you have experience backpacking, that's more important

It'll be worth it..

an 80-100 mile section I can recommend is spivey gap to standing bear farm hostel. You can leave your car at the hostel and pay for Curtis to shuttle you up north. tough hiking but lots of rewards (big bald, max patch, firescald knob). plus you go right through Hot Springs and can spend a night at Elmers hostel

Alligator
06-04-2008, 15:48
I'd suggest rather than having a set mileage, that you adjust your mileage some for any mountainous terrain. Most 80-100 mile sections from VA south are going to include some steep climbs, and they will all seem steep as you mentioned since you are from Florida.

SNP is a good choice for easier hiking, but it might be a bit far for you to drive.

Most trailheads have reasonably safe parking, although there's not always parking at road crossings. Parking is usually a minor issue, something you should check into but that is normally a solvable problem. You may need to ask for permission in some cases if it's private property or move your start/end point a little bit if there's no parking exactly where you want to go.

CKarpy
06-04-2008, 23:14
Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Not all of the people going on the trip are from Florida either.
2 of us are from Ohio, the other 2 from Florida (including me).
SO we want to meet somewhere halfway.

Because of this we wont need a shuttle. My friend and I from FL are going to drive to the end point where my friends from OH are parking and we'll drive my car to the start point. For the end of the hike we'll do vise versa.

I don't want to go on too difficult a hike, because 1 of my friends if relatively new to hiking.

We plan to go on the trip sometime between the end of June to the end of July.

Also, my parents are getting me a GPS for my graduation present. They were going to get me the Magellan Triton 2000... What do you guys think?

TIDE-HSV
06-04-2008, 23:24
Just a thought, but I'd have multiple keys for both cars (if possible - probably not with modern "immobilizer keys), with more than one person carrying them. This comes from one "swap keys" disaster I experienced

Tinker
06-04-2008, 23:28
I second Shenandoah for a first mountain trip. It's mostly ridgeline with less elevation variation than even lower altitudes in other areas. There are plenty of places to grab some real food off of Skyline drive, but, on the other hand, there are more people because of the road than some tougher sections.

tight-wad
06-05-2008, 00:02
My GPS is only so much extra weight and batteries. You won't really use it on the AT because the trail is so well marked, and because it rarely works because of the trees. Newer models are supposed to work better under the leaf cover, but a map and compass will serve you just as well.

Only once did I use my GPS on 2 week-long hikes, and then it was more of a gee whiz I'm where I thought I was, than a help for figuring out where to go next. Since then, it has stayed at home and I've gone hiking!

Lots of great suggestions for a week long hike by other folk. I 2nd the idea of avoiding GSMP because of the red-tape. And, I strongly second the idea of using Curtis and Standing Bear Farm. For GSMP you have to have permits and reservations and you have to stay at your assigned shelter (the wardens carded me when I went thru, 3 times!). Curtis and Maria (and the beer) are GREAT!

fiddlehead
06-05-2008, 00:42
I'd meet in Damascus and hike north from there if i was meeting folks from OHio. (longer drive for you)
The mt Rogers area is one of the most beautiful parts of the southern AT and it is not a Nat. Park with tons of rules and you would be going at a good time.

You can search for (here on whiteblaze) and download the AT onto your GPS if you are a bit computer savvy. YOu'll first have to find the link to the klm file and then figure out how to download it to your gps but it can be done with a bit of work. YOu can also download the data book and companion from this website if you search enough.

The GPS can be fun out there if you are trying to get used to it, why not on an actual trail that you can import to the unit. Have fun. You might want to practice on some steps before you hit the mountains.

ps. if you are going to be spending a lot of time with the GPS on and attempting to learn many of the features, take along some extra batteries as they can be hard on batteries. (lithium batteries last longer too)

Nearly Normal
06-05-2008, 01:08
Start at Springer and hike until you get your fill. Check with Josh and Leigh Saint (Hiker Hostel in GA) and Ron Haven (Budget Inn in Franklin NC) for logistics needs.

CKarpy
06-05-2008, 02:36
I'm definitely planning to avoid the nat'l parks... too many rules!
and I do not want to get any sort of permit or license (too much money).

Rmckibben:
I definitely know how to use a topo map and compass (Boy Scouts for 11 years, including the orienteering merit badge :p) so, yes the GPS is more of a novelty. However my parents are big worriers, so they wont let me go without at least taking one.

Thanks for the info guys, Damascus and MT Rogers are sounding good so far...

PS: I'm mostly worried about my FL friend on the Mountains. I've done some mountain trails in OH, just none to the extent of the AT. Also, I used to be a bike racer so my legs are decent, I may do an extra set or two of lunges and squats for the next couple weeks before the trip tho.

Pokey2006
06-05-2008, 02:54
Permits to backpack in the GSMNP or SNP don't cost any money. But you are more restricted in where you can legally camp than on other parts of the AT.

I think Damascus would be a good bet for you. It's right on the highway, so easy access. Also, there's a hostel with cheap accomodations, so you'd have a place to stay the night before setting out and a hot shower when you get back. You can find great scenery by hiking in either direction, north or south, out of town.

CKarpy
06-05-2008, 02:56
yipes, I better not watch the movie Hostel before I go!

Pokey2006
06-05-2008, 03:33
Don't worry -- it's a friendly place.

Alligator
06-05-2008, 08:35
Maybe you could do some incline training before the trip: treadmill, elliptical machine, bleachers, etc.

max patch
06-05-2008, 08:47
With hikers coming from Ohio and Florida then I would do the Grayson Highlands State Park (Damascus area. Great hiking, centrally located for both groups plus or minus, atmosphere of a "trail town", cheap hostel, and, if you want to do something else, a very scenic (and easy) mountain bike trip down the creeper trail. 14 miles, the first 7 downhill and the last 7 flat, 25pp includes bike and shuttle to starting point.

CKarpy
06-05-2008, 08:49
Bleachers sounds easiest to gain access to without a gym membership... former high school isn't very far and they have bleachers so I guess I'll start there.

Thanks

On my way out the door to head over to Bass Pro Shops Orlando (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=25)... It's amazing.

CKarpy
06-05-2008, 08:52
So I'm definitely going to somewhere in the Damascus area, sounds perfect for what we're trying to do.

Is there a Website that'll give me a detailed map of that specific area? To see the trail heads and stuff.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 09:01
So I'm definitely going to somewhere in the Damascus area, sounds perfect for what we're trying to do.

Is there a Website that'll give me a detailed map of that specific area? To see the trail heads and stuff.

start or end in Damascus for sure.