PDA

View Full Version : Black packs & heat

Kerosene
02-14-2004, 15:20
You're going to be in the "endless green tunnel" of the AT for much of your hike, which is why you won't need sunglasses either. On many days you don't even need sunscreen unless the leaves haven't come out yet or you're walking through meadows and over balds. I wouldn't worry too much about the color of your pack. Dark colors will tend to show the salt from your sweat, while light colors will show every other piece of dirt you come in contact with. Unless you're trying to carry fresh food for multiple days -- something I wouldn't recommend in any case, except for a hunk of cheddar cheese in cooler weather (mmmm, cheese!) -- then you should be fine.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2004, 16:05
Tracey---

Virtually all of clothes are black or grey; plus, on all but two of my hikes, I carried a pitch-black Osprey. I don't really think my clothes or pack choice made much of a difference as far as being affected by heat.

As for food, you'll quickly discover what "carries" well and what doesn't; once again, the color of your pack doesn't much matter. You might, however, want to avoid putting more delicate items where they'll be more exposed to the sun, in other words, bury your chocolate bars, fresh fruit, etc. And when you take a break, avoid leving your pack out in blazing sun. Always DOUBLE ziplock items that could potentially be messy; I've seen people who discovered at day's end that their honey jar or grape jelly had exploded inside their packs.....not fun in August.

weary
02-14-2004, 18:12
Tracey---

Virtually all of clothes are black or grey.... I've seen people who discovered at day's end that their honey jar or grape jelly had exploded inside their packs.....not fun in August.

Yeah. I know. It's another one of those silly fads that totally defies logic. I personally never carry dark colors nor wear dark colors while hiking. Aside from heat build up that damages all foods that are not dehydrated, dark colors attract black flies. One early June on the St. John River river in northwest Maine my light blue sleeping bag happened to be airing next to a companion's dark blue bag. His was totally covered with black flies. None came near my bag.

Several scientific studies have been done that confirm that the worst colors to wear in black fly season are blacks, and dark blues, greens and reds.

The best colors for the wilds in spring and summer are light blues and greens and and yellows. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of the few that know this. Most everyone else buys black, so that is what the manufactures make and the stores sell.

Weary

ex-tennesseean
08-31-2006, 01:00
If you want to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and invisible to motorists by the roadside at night, you can't do better than black.

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 06:44
Selling long underwear for 18 years now, i've found that people out west tend to buy white if they can and folks from the east like the darker colors. I believe it's because of the relentless sun out there.
The east doesn't get much sun. Especially on the AT.
Yeah, sunscreen, sunglasses, wide brimmed hats, white tops, cotton clothes, are not needed on the AT. But out west is a different story and you may need all of those things.

SawnieRobertson
08-31-2006, 19:51
My new Golite Gust is black, and it just occurred to me that maybe that isn't a good idea during the summer months on the AT. Wouldn't a black coloured backpack absorb much more heat than a pack of a lighter colour? Should I be worried about this with regard to my food in particular, my other gear, or my own comfort? I live in the desert so I know how much damage prolonged heat exposure can do to things, including ziplock baggies and other goodies thruhikers carry, and I know how sweaty you get wearing dark clothing on a sunny day.

Should I exchange it for another colour?

After a few years of backpacking, it occurred to me that I carry a rain cover for my pack whether it is in use or not. Another few years later, it occurred to me that sun damages the pack and its contents. Then I really got to thinking about how I hate the dilemma of whether to stop and put on the rain cover or not. Then a lightbulb really flashed! Using my rain cover all of the time would (1) eliminate sun damage, (2) keep the things in my pack cooler, and (3) eliminate the need for unnecessary decision making. So I keep my rain cover on all the time and find it a very good practice.--Kinnickinic:welcome

Moon Monster
09-01-2006, 16:25
If you're concerned, get this: http://www.coolhunting.com/images/tumi_mountain_pack.jpg

But, I don't think it's an issue.

Rambler
09-03-2006, 14:09
Since black absorbs sunlight, your question does hold merit. For similar reasons that is why black is used on the inside of sleeping bags. If you already own a black pack, I would not worry about it. We are not talking about that much heat, and in the winter it will keep you warmer than a light colored pack. To follow up on Swanie Robertson's idea of a light colored raincover, go for the blaze orange cover available here:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm