PDA

View Full Version : Pack fit issues

cyclendo
06-04-2008, 20:46
I'm trying to find a new pack for a thru-hike in a couple of years and for some smaller trips before then, but i've been having some issues with fit. I'm trying to find a pack that holds around 3,500 cubic inches and weighs close to 3 lbs.
I am about 5'10-11" and 135ish lbs. So far i've tried on the Osprey Aether 65 and Gregory Z55 but the Aether frame felt like it dug into my shoulders and the Z55 didn't fit tightly enough to my back (I tried both packs in size small and med). One of the issues was also that the waist belts couldn't tighten any more (i'm pretty skinny). Does anyone have suggestions for similar packs that might provide a better fit? Any advice/help is appreciated...

Cheers,
tyler

Blissful
06-04-2008, 20:51
Be sure to get your torso measured by a reputable outfitter. Outfitters are good for trying on different packs. Also, you may be able to exchange belt sizes (you can with Ospreys)

bigcranky
06-04-2008, 20:58
Hey, Tyler,

My daughter *finally* found a pack whose hip belt doesn't meet in the middle -- the new REI Flash UL. It's only 45 liters, though, and they don't make a women's version of the 60L model. (Grrrr.)

But she's tried on a lot of packs over the years, and this has been a recurring problem. The old-school Gregory and Osprey models still offer interchangeable hip belts, but it may be that only the women's sizes are small enough for you. (Heck, you might try an Ariel 55 or 65 -- it's the women's Aether. The only downside might be the rather soft color choice. But the hip belts might be interchangeable with the men's packs.) Those packs also tend to be heavier.

The ULA packs have interchangeable hip belts, and their smallest size might fit you. You can contact the owner directly through their web site. The Six Moons Designs Comet pack might work, too; it also has a small belt available.

Good luck.

Kirkman
06-04-2008, 21:18
I LOV mine!

http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm

mudhead
06-05-2008, 09:05
Skinny #3&4! Eat something!

You can save some time by using your measurements to scout stuff online.

You probably will need a different belt, so "Sewn-in," are words to notice.

Osprey used to offer switching sewn-in belts, but it starts getting spendy.

Good luck.

bigben
06-05-2008, 10:38
ULA. Pick a pack you like, call Brian who will ask you to take a bunch of measurements and e-mail them to him, and he will make you a pack custom-sized to you. It might take 2-3 weeks to get it, but it will be worth it. I have the opposite problem as you. I'm 6'3" 290 lbs and very wide in the shoulders. I could not be happier with my ULA Catalyst. I generally agree with the "try it on before you buy" mantra, but ULA is an exception. He knows what he's doing. Seriously.

Bigben

Appalachian Tater
06-05-2008, 11:40
i use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. When fully loaded with all the straps adjusted, no weight is on the shoulders. This is crucial because of problems with a nerve in my arm. The weight should be entirely borne by the hipbelt. There are different sizes of straps and hipbelts for some makes of packs, the manufacturer can switch them out for you if the outfitter can't.

There is a lot of good information about fitting packs properly. Doing a search I see there are now even some videos. Get someone to measure you, too. http://www.google.com/search?q=fitting%20a%20backpack&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

cyclendo
06-07-2008, 10:26
Thanks for the feedback. I should mention that I have had the packs fitted professionally, but even then couldn't make things work out. I'll definitely check out ULA packs.

cheers,
tyler