PDA

View Full Version : Mid August SOBO

bajabackpacker
06-04-2008, 21:36
Planning on a SOBO, starting at Maine during mid August. Was wondering;

What degree sleeping bag should I have?

As far as clothing,

Baselayers: Capilene 2 Tops and Bottoms, possibly Capilene 3 depending on how cold it'll be.

Insulating and warmth: Patagonia R1 Fleece Pullover, Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket (might be able to get a Micropuff vest)

Rain: Goretex Paclite Pants and Jacket

Captain
06-04-2008, 22:33
think you'll be fine i haven't been yet though

Tinker
06-04-2008, 23:24
If you are a warm sleeper, I don't think you'd need to start out with anything less than a 40 degree bag. If that bag gets wet, however, it won't keep you warm at 40 whether it's down or synthetic. Also, a tent or hammock cuts the wind and preserves the bag's comfort rating. If you're hammocking or tarp camping at 40 degrees in the wind, it can make a 40 degree bag feel like a 60 degree bag, especially if you're hungry or dehydrated.
If you are a cold sleeper, I'd recommend using something rated to freezing, which you might experience at altitude anywhere in the Northeast, and certainly later in the Southern mountains (you'll need something warmer then).

4eyedbuzzard
06-05-2008, 00:13
A mid August start will likely put you in the mountains of western ME and then NH in September. A 40 degree bag won't be enough in the Whites in September. A 20 degree bag is a better idea.

warraghiyagey
06-05-2008, 00:16
A mid August start will likely put you in the mountains of western ME and then NH in September. A 40 degree bag won't be enough in the Whites in September. A 20 degree bag is a better idea.
Agreed. :)

mudhead
06-05-2008, 08:08
I have seen 35*F mid-August several different years, in Maine.

bajabackpacker
06-05-2008, 08:39
Yeah, I was thinking that I'd probably need something like a 20 degree bag due to elevation and time of year. I was wondering what you guys thought about down compared to synthetic. I know that down is lightweight, more compressible, more comfortable sleep (from what I've heard). I've never slept in down before and my experiences with synthetics made me feel they weren't too accurate with their ratings. Someone told me was that a down bag could lose some of its loft due to the humidity on the trail. Do you guys know if humidity would be that big of an issue for when I plan on doing the trail? I know that once you get down south, around the Mason-Dixon line that it starts to get a lot more humid. What are your opinions? Also, was wondering what you guys thought of Big Agnes bags.

Thanks,
Chris

Marta
06-05-2008, 08:39
I have seen 35*F mid-August several different years, in Maine.

I agree with the 20 degree recommendation. While you might have a few warm nights, you are likely to have more cold ones. There are not that many low-elevation sleeping spots on the AT. And in August, fall starts making it coming felt in Maine.

Northern Brewer
06-06-2008, 00:47
I'm starting SOBO on august 1st and I'm definately packing a 20F bag!

johnny quest
07-11-2008, 18:41
do the huts in the white mountains close down at a certain date for winter?

Blissful
07-11-2008, 21:21
do the huts in the white mountains close down at a certain date for winter?

Check this site (http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm) for info.

johnny quest
07-25-2008, 14:17
if anyone is heading that way and is interested in a ride...
im planning to be at katahdin on the 17th of august. im driving up from texas. if your needing a ride and arent too terribly far out of the way (california and washington state would be out of the way) then give me a yell.

johnny quest
07-28-2008, 12:34
what, do i smell or something?

SoboPachyderm
08-31-2008, 13:10
what, do i smell or something?

People are generally scared of Marines. They really aren't that different from other military folk though....just different standards.

Example. Food falls on the floor. In the Navy, it's a 1.5 second rule. Army, 2 second rule. Marines, 3 week rule.