PDA

View Full Version : MSR Simmerlite

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 09:54
Considering this stove for winter cooking. I can't find any specs on dimensions. I'm wondering if this stove will nest inside my MiniSolo set.

Alligator
06-05-2008, 10:07
Snow Peak? (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___65128) 4 1/4 by 4 3/4? Which is the diameter (I know they are close)? I can try to find something similar in shape and see if it fits for you this evening. I think it might be tight, but the height might work out in your favor.

Does the cup fit inside the pot or vice-versa?

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 10:10
Snow Peak? (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___65128) 4 1/4 by 4 3/4? Which is the diameter (I know they are close)? I can try to find something similar in shape and see if it fits for you this evening. I think it might be tight, but the height might work out in your favor.

Does the cup fit inside the pot or vice-versa?

Pot nests inside the cup. Thanks. I'd head out to Cabela's to see for myself, but don't have the time right now.

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 10:48
I doubt it'll fit with lid on, my Whisperlite fits inside my 400ml Snow Peak Ti cup but the fuel line sticks out of it. I wrap the burner with my bandanna to prevent rattles. You could likely make a storage bag to contain the two with the fuel line sticking out the top of the pot.

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 10:58
I'm considering upgrading my cookset to the 900 or 1400 SP pots. I assume the simmerlite will fit inside both of these?

Also, there are two maintenance kits: the MSR Annual kit and the Simmerlite Expedition kit. Is the expedition kit necessary?

Alligator
06-05-2008, 11:12
Yes, I suppose I should service mine, maybe lubricate the O-ring(s?):).

I haven't had any issues with mine. My buddy's got a hairline crack in the pump from too much force. It still worked for the trip though. I personally regard the maintenance kits as overkill, I will simply build a fire if the stove goes down. Never clogged.

Mine fits in a 1.3 l pot, but I have a frypan lid. The particular set it's from was part of a two pot/two frypan lid set. The fuel hose could be a problem for you as TAK notes, in regard to your OP. My opinion though is that the legs may be smaller on the simmerlite than a whisperlite, I don't own both. (My buddy does though, I could answer that at a future date.)

I'm not sure about the 1400, but my trangia pot might be close to that diameter.

sheepdog
06-05-2008, 11:20
I don't know if it will fit but, a simmerlite is a great stove.

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 11:28
I'm considering upgrading my cookset to the 900 or 1400 SP pots. I assume the simmerlite will fit inside both of these?

Also, there are two maintenance kits: the MSR Annual kit and the Simmerlite Expedition kit. Is the expedition kit necessary?

I left my Simmerlite (burner) inside my Snow Peak 450 cup, drop the cup straight down inside the Trek 900 pot. Then I inserted the MSR windscreen vertically on the other side of the pot. Pigtail the fuel line on top of the cup. That silly little 900 fry pan lid fits snugly on top, nothing rattles, it looks like it would travel nicely. I just bought the 900 for my Bushbuddy and I haven't used it, but I'm sure the burner flame on the simmerlite will be larger than the 900's base, so it might not be super efficient, and I'm sure those mug style handles would get screamin hot.

Feral Bill
06-05-2008, 11:39
I would think twice about putting any stove in my cook pots. The tiniest leakage is very grim. Trust me.

Alligator
06-05-2008, 12:11
I would think twice about putting any stove in my cook pots. The tiniest leakage is very grim. Trust me.Not an issue.
1. Shake the stove after disconnect and before storing. Sometimes there is a tiny bit of gas on the hose connect.
2. Place in pouch. Store in pot.
3. Remove for use. Sniff the pot.
4. Rinse if you smell gas or you are excessively worried about it.

Now the fuel bottle goes on the outside in a side pocket.

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 13:07
... but I'm sure the burner flame on the simmerlite will be larger than the 900's base, so it might not be super efficient, and I'm sure those mug style handles would get screamin hot.

Well, that's part of the reason I'm looking to upgrade my pot. Also thinking of making a caldera cone type windscreen.

Rocketman
06-05-2008, 16:48

To be prepared for ANYTHING, the expedition kit would do. The annual kit is for annual overhaul replacing the rubber "O" rings and cleanup.

I haven't seen the list for what is included in the Expedition kit, but if you were heading for Mt. Everest summit, failure of the stove would be dangerous/expensive and the expedition kit would be the ticket. After all, the trip to the summit of Everest is surely an expedition, not a hike with resupply towns every 30 to 100 miles apart.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-05-2008, 17:10
Question is will the simmer lite melt your mini solo cookset. Using those together is like drying a shotglass with a bath towel

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 17:12
Question is will the simmer lite melt your mini solo cookset. Using those together is like drying a shotglass with a bath towel

Well, that's part of the reason I'm looking to upgrade my pot. Also thinking of making a caldera cone type windscreen.

Alligator
06-05-2008, 20:47
I was able to fit the Simmerlite in it's bag into a small coffee can. The diameter of the can was 4" and it stood up to no more than 4.5" inside the can, even 4.25". (The coffee can is taller). The hose is able to be turned 180 degrees at 4.25". I roll the windscreen up around my fuel bottle, so that was not in the bag. The only minor problem was the ground screen. It folds into 4 and it would not fit in the can, but if you folded it into 6ths, I think it would fit just fine. I didn't want to add any new bends to mine to test this out. If you really wanted though, you could roll the ground piece around the fuel bottle too. It folds flat, you could also just stick it in your food bag.

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 20:55
Thanks.

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 22:05
I use a 1.3L Evernew with my Simmerlite, it sits on the burner nicely. I also use the same pot with a Wind Pro.

saimyoji
06-05-2008, 22:06
so the SP 1400 should work nicely?

sasquatch2014
06-05-2008, 22:15
I have had no problems with mine and we used it to heat up the jet boil canisters this winter so that they would work (I stood way back as they did this). I have had no maintence issues with my stove and store it in its little sack inside my Snow Peak pot. I don't worry about a fuel spill as i let the cable drain for a few moments while I pack up and this seems to do the trick. then again I also drink from my Nalgene bottle and don't worry about the plastic. I know I am living on the edge.:rolleyes:

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 22:17
so the SP 1400 should work nicely?

I'm not sure, the 1400 is a taller pot, the Evernew is wide and short. Okay, I just went and looked, since I remembered I bought a Snow Peak 1400 for my SVEA. The 1400 sits on the simmerlite base with about a 1/4in of each of the three parts of the base sticking past the side of the pot, so it should work okay. I still like the Evernew better, since it is wider and has those folding handles you can actually use, cause they stick far enough away from the pot to stay cool enough to handle.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 16:19
I'm not sure, the 1400 is a taller pot, the Evernew is wide and short. Okay, I just went and looked, since I remembered I bought a Snow Peak 1400 for my SVEA. The 1400 sits on the simmerlite base with about a 1/4in of each of the three parts of the base sticking past the side of the pot, so it should work okay. I still like the Evernew better, since it is wider and has those folding handles you can actually use, cause they stick far enough away from the pot to stay cool enough to handle.

Great info. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Could you perhaps measure the diameter of the burner head, and the distance from the burner heads to the support legs? Thanks.

take-a-knee
06-29-2008, 19:02
Great info. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Could you perhaps measure the diameter of the burner head, and the distance from the burner heads to the support legs? Thanks.

The actual burner head is 2.75in in diameter. The radius of the pot supports about 2.8in (5.6in with the legs deployed). The height of the legs is about 3.3 in.

saimyoji
06-29-2008, 19:18
Many thanks.

LIhikers
06-29-2008, 22:13
The round, aluminum, ground screen that comes with the Simmerlite is a dual use item. It also works great to shield your food bag from those mice that can climb down the bear bagging rope.

gaga
06-29-2008, 22:28
http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp
click on spec`s

Bob S
06-29-2008, 22:35
Svea 123 is the way to go, works every time for 30+years doing nothing to it but putting gasoline in it. No lubricating anything, no new gaskets, no cleaning it.

No need to have a field maintenance kit, no need for a yearly maintenance kit.

All you need is the stove, fuel and the food you want to cook.

It will outlive you.

www.Scoutgear.com (http://www.Scoutgear.com) has them for $100.00, I just bought a new one and gave the old one (still working, nothing wrong with it other then the brass looks dull) to my Son. He loves it.

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 23:11
So I went ahead and got the stove. It arrived a day or so ago. Thanks for all the advice. :cool:

take-a-knee
07-08-2008, 00:21
Svea 123 is the way to go, works every time for 30+years doing nothing to it but putting gasoline in it. No lubricating anything, no new gaskets, no cleaning it.

No need to have a field maintenance kit, no need for a yearly maintenance kit.

All you need is the stove, fuel and the food you want to cook.

It will outlive you.

www.Scoutgear.com (http://www.Scoutgear.com) has them for $100.00, I just bought a new one and gave the old one (still working, nothing wrong with it other then the brass looks dull) to my Son. He loves it.

I paid $12 IIRC at the Western Auto in JAX FL in 1976 for my SVEA, it still works great. There is nothing lighter I'm aware of that will actually simmer.

saimyoji
08-10-2008, 23:21
simmerlite simmering tips. i saw somewhere someone had posted tips on getting the simmerlite to simmer properly. anyone have a link or info?

take-a-knee
08-11-2008, 08:54
simmerlite simmering tips. i saw somewhere someone had posted tips on getting the simmerlite to simmer properly. anyone have a link or info?

IIRC you just don't pump it up as much to lower the pressure at the burner. I'll try to remember to dig mine out and play with it.

saimyoji
10-31-2008, 22:04
IIRC you just don't pump it up as much to lower the pressure at the burner. I'll try to remember to dig mine out and play with it.

yep. takes some tinkering. i had no problems getting it to simmer after a few tries. stove and pot work well together. fry pan lid is perfect for cooking up turtles on the trail. gotta get em carapace down though.