PDA

View Full Version : Tents tents tents

Elger
06-05-2008, 15:06
I am looking for a one man tent for the AT (3-4 night trips). I have narrowed it to the following. I am not a hammock guy (bad back- side sleeper) so no need to go there. Also, I have tarped it and will still do so, but I still want a tent when I want one. My top priority is weight and second is room. I have the specs for all of these and they are all decent at least or among the best. I have already viewed the threads on tents, which is how I got my list. What I am hoping to hear is if anyone has had problems with these like leaking, durability, set up problems, too little space or difficulty remaining standing in wind/rain. Based on those responses I can hopefully eliminate some. Of note is the fact that there are no places where I live to go see any of these. The Hubba is no on the list because my initial cutoff for making my list was the requirement that the tent had to be under 3 lbs.

Rainbow
Seedhouse SL1
Black Diamond One Shot
Lunar Duo
Light Year 1

Thank you

Elger

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2008, 15:11
http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200708/20070810.html

I went with granite gears 1 man tent so I could sit up in it during a storm, The specs were similar to the seed house but the seed house wasn't high enough. Read Outside.

Mad Hatter 08
06-05-2008, 15:19
I went to the pct kick off this year and the three other ppl at my campsite all had rainbows and henry shires had a setup at the ko as well so i got a chance to look at all of his tarptents and i was really impressed. the only down side i personally saw to the rainbow was that all three of my site mates had to seam seal their tents but that was it. they all had plenty of room for their gear and all really seemed to like their tents.

Elger
06-05-2008, 16:07
All things considered I am leaning to the Rainbow. I have read on some forums here though that there were some leaking issues and tauntness problems. I do not want any fiddle factors going on with a tent in a driving rain at night. I just want to be dry.

Anyone had any problems with the rainbow in those regards?

And has anyone used that One Shot?

I just checked out the Mont Bell Cresent 1. Looks nice. Any experience?

Elger

slow
06-05-2008, 18:37
Lunar duo is your best bet.At 90x54 true size.Hard blowing rain no problem to stay dry in this tent at 2.5 lb.

Slosteppin
06-05-2008, 20:12
I have a Double Rainbow. I've been in several good rain/wind storms. In early May, the 2nd rainy night in a row. I got a fast drip right over the center of my down sleeping bag. I sat up and rigged a stuff sack to channel the drips away from my bag, by the time I got it rigged up the leak stopped. The rain continued all night.
The next morning I decided that I did not have the DR pitched tight and there were some wrinkles top center.
I have found I have be very fussy and make sure it is pitched just right and tight.
I can't imagine giving up my DR. The Rainbow is 8 oz lighter and 6 inches narrower.

Slosteppin

rafe
06-05-2008, 20:47
I've owned the Lightyear and the Rainbow (still have the latter.) The Lightyear (IMO) is a bit too heavy for my current tastes. The Rainbow is as good as you'll get for a single-walled solo tent, it served me fairly well last summer. Of your list, if I had it to do over again -- I'd probably go with the Seedhouse SL1. A bit heavier than the Rainbow (and less roomy), but double-walled. I'll probably own one eventually...

Squeamish
06-05-2008, 21:13
Try the Contrail

JWren
06-05-2008, 21:24
If you want more of a 1+ tent (for gear), than the Seedhouse SL2 would be good, i have one but not the SL version

Nearly Normal
06-06-2008, 00:59
I have a tarp, lunar solo and 1+ bomb proof double wall.
Depends on the time of year, days out, weather forecast.
On a long hike I would take the LS.
I've only had it a short while but it has proved itself in hard rain and kept out the bugs.

rpenczek
06-06-2008, 08:15
I have a double rainbow (I like room) and purchased the liner that Tarptent sells for the inside. You do have to seam seal this tent.

About a month ago I was in a most of the night down pour and had no leaks. Any misting that may have occured was channeled by the liner away from the core of the tent and to the ends (I did not notice any water at all).

Prior to this tent, I used a MH Haven (bomb proff IMO). The Rainbow functions as well and is less than 1/2 the weight.

Set up has not been difficult either (getting a tuat pitch).

Elger
06-06-2008, 11:19
Terrapin:

I think you have been a defender of the tarptents in the past so this is interesting. I agree that the rainbow is a beautiful design but what has me wondering about the tarptents is that whole issue I keep hearing about that Solsteppin mentioned, which is the tauntness thing. The trade off is that with a heavier (I hate heavier) double wall you just don't get that whole hassle. I want to get the rainbow but I really don't want to fight my tent...at all.

Elger

LIhikers
06-06-2008, 12:32
My wife and I have a Rainbow for when either of us goes out solo.
When we got it I made sure to do a good job of seam sealing it and have never had a leak. Set-up and taughtness has never been a problem either. Plus it's got plenty of room, both head room and floor space are more than adequate. In fact, my wife will sometimes take our dog, a shepherd, and ther's plenty of room for her and the dog.

Panzer1
06-06-2008, 16:17
And has anyone used that One Shot?

No, but here's a well written review for the One Shot:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Black%20Diamond%20One%20Shot%20Tent/Test%20Report%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton/

Panzer

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 16:19
This thread is intense.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing001.gif

Cool AT Breeze
06-07-2008, 16:14
I'ts a trade off. If you want a light weight shelter I'ts going to be single wall.If you want bomb proof simplisity go double wall.I used a HS Contrail almost every night and after playing with it and learning it's limitations it became as bomb proof and simple as any double wall tent out there. I spent many rainy stormy windy nights in it with a down bag and never got wet or cold. It's a learning curve.

klpicktown
06-07-2008, 16:43
Not to hijack but here's a noob question......are there any pop-up type tents that can be packed?

Incahiker
06-07-2008, 21:59
They only reason I don't want a tarp tent is because of the condensation issues. Usually in the dbl wall tents the fly is seperated from the mesh, so no condensation if you rub against the mesh. I am heavily leaning towards the Seedhouse SL1 if this REI Chrysalis doesn't work for me, which I hope it does.

Summit
06-07-2008, 23:36
End of day shelters are a very subjective and personal thing. What suits you may not suite me. I like extra room, protection from bugs, snakes, and other critters, and am willing to carry a pound or two more to compensate for those things. The lighter you go, the more likely you will sacrifice in one area of comfort or another. It's all about choices! ;)

take-a-knee
06-08-2008, 00:22
A Hennessy Hammock...because you have a bad back and like to sleep on your side.:banana

Elger
06-09-2008, 18:48
Thank you all for your input.

That review of the One Shot eliminated it from the lot. Down to the Rainbow or Seedhouse.

Take a Knee: Do you own the Hennessy Hammock company by any chance? If not I hope they send you a new hammock every year. They have no idea what a salesman (addict?) you are. You would be the man I would pick if I were the last man on earth and needed one very persistant comrade.

Can the Hennessy make coffee in the morning?

Thanks

Elger

Incahiker
06-09-2008, 18:50
I don't like hammocks, but its worth giving it a shot. And yes, I know how to set one up properly. Just doesn't work with my back, and there is no room in it at all. If you had to spend all day in one it would suck.

Incahiker
06-09-2008, 19:17
I don't like hammocks, but its worth giving it a shot. And yes, I know how to set one up properly. Just doesn't work with my back, and there is no room in it at all. If you had to spend all day in one it would not be fun, neither would it be in a tent, but you have more wiggle room in a tent. I will be getting a Seedhouse SL1, which is the same weight as the Hennessy I had.