PDA

View Full Version : roan mt.

jodestick
06-05-2008, 16:11
hi,

i am planning on hiking from hughes gap to 19E this weekend. does anyone know what the water situation is like in this area? i have a filter, but i would rather bring my aqua mira since its lighter. is the water so low i will need to pump/strain? any help you can give would be appreciated. thanks!

rhody

Flush2wice
06-05-2008, 16:13
There is plenty of water.

Tennessee Viking
06-05-2008, 17:41
Roan hasn't had a good rain in a little over a week. But there is a good amount of water still. Then the restrooms at the Rodo gardens should be open, if you want to grab tap water. Only problem is that it is going to be hot and muggy crossing the balds. Better bring some sunscreen.

Then I was just at Grassy Ridge finsihing new trail. My club just started a switchback system to stop trekking down that old steep section. But there is also plenty of water right after the trail split at Grassy Ridge to the new trail. Then there should be a new piped spring at the Barn shelter. One of the old springs dried up last summer, but the new one is still in the vacinity. And the Barn has been patched up, and blazes from Yellow Mtn Gap to Little Hump freshened up.

modiyooch
06-05-2008, 21:21
Roan Mt Festival is June 21-22 this year. They try to schedule it during the peak of the rhododendron which is an sight to behold if you ever catch it.

Blissful
06-05-2008, 22:39
Aqua mira is fine to bring.

Nearly Normal
06-06-2008, 00:40
http://www.roanmountain.com/festival.htm

jodestick
06-06-2008, 09:01
thanks everyone!