PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Humidity Already! :(

Summit
06-05-2008, 17:30
How hot is it where you are? The temp hit 99 here in Durham today, with heat index of 101! :eek: It's not supposed to get this hot for another 2-3 weeks at least! Yuck! :(

John Klein
06-05-2008, 17:33
90's in North Georgia. I hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail Monday and Tuesday. One of the best parts of the hike was walking into the lake at Vogel State Park when I was done, hiking clothes and all...

4eyedbuzzard
06-05-2008, 18:10
68 here in NH right now. A little humid the last few days. Should cool off into the mid 50's tonight. Maybe 75 or so tomorrow. The payback for all this is -20's or lower in the winter.

Skidsteer
06-05-2008, 18:18
90's in North Georgia. I hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail Monday and Tuesday. One of the best parts of the hike was walking into the lake at Vogel State Park when I was done, hiking clothes and all...

How was the poison ivy situation on the Duncan Ridge trail?

Sidewinder
06-05-2008, 19:06

I don't know about Duncan Ridge trail, but it's plentiful on the AT north of hot Springs NC. Temps in the low 90's and humid, humid, humid.

The Timber Rattlers were out in full force too. :eek::eek::eek: I saw one coiled up next to a log near Jerry Cabin shelter, met a guy that almost stepped on one and another guy that killed one outside the privy at Spring Mt. shelter, he said the cooked and ate it.

Seeker
06-05-2008, 19:12
we had an unusually long and pleasant (read 'cool and dry') spring this year... normally in the 80s and 90s by april. didn't start getting 90s until a couple weeks ago. but yeah, summer's here... time to break out the canoe!

Johnny Swank
06-05-2008, 19:23
That's what I'm saying. Me and summer don't get along unless we're out in the canoe.

Flush2wice
06-05-2008, 19:25
Sweltering. It got darn near 80 today.

Jimmers
06-05-2008, 19:32
Yeah, the heat's coming here to Philly too. Supposed to be 97 degrees sat, sun, and mon, along with our usual 95% humidity. Lovely weather. Almost makes me miss winter.

Bearpaw
06-05-2008, 19:51
Nashville was in the 90's and reasonably humid.

I'm glad my July hiking is going to be at 5000 feet in the Smokies or at Big South Fork right next to a creek or river.:)

peanuts
06-05-2008, 19:53
it just sucks......96 here in longanville, ga......eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek:mad:

slow
06-05-2008, 20:24
95 and high humidity and love it due to being in a attic at 130 for 5 hours.:D

HikerRanky
06-05-2008, 20:28
Well, it's CMA Music Festival week here in Nashville, so it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.... Our thermometer at work said it was 94% and the HVAC Intake said humidity downtown was 90%....

Remainder of the week shows 94 and 95 all week.....

Randy

DavidNH
06-05-2008, 20:36
Well.. as already mentioned, it's only in the 60's here in NH. But supposedly the heat (mid 90's) will be here by this weekend. Might last as much as 3 days! I don't think we ever get 90 degree temps formore than a few days at a stretch. How long do those heat waves last in Georgia? like weeks??

I'll say this much.. I'll take New England Snows, blizzards and cold over the southern Heat and humidity any day of the week! Not to mention the Florida hurricanes, Mid western tornadoes, and western earthquakes!
In summer.. come north.. like Maine.. the weather is delightful! I have heard rumours that summer humidty in Georgia and other parts of the deep south can be darn right stifling.

Makes New Hampshire, Maine and VT sound pretty good!!!

DavidNH

Whoa Bear
06-05-2008, 20:50
Mid 90's through Sunday in SNP and you absolutely have to love the humidity:(. Only one snow storm all winter and only a couple of day below freezing this winter. Looks like it's time to move further north.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2008, 21:13
Here in Frostburg at 2,100', the hottest forecasted day over the next 10 days is 89 on Monday. Night lows are in low-to-mid 60s. Today was about 83. Last summer it didn't reach 90. However it is humid. The coolest place is the Big Savage Tunnel on the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). Once inside on a hot day, the temperture plunges just like a cave.

New England gets its share of heat & humidity. I've hiked on some very hot and humid days in Vermont including last year in September. And the humidity when I started my Gorham-to-Katahdin trek mid-August 2005 was very sticky.

modiyooch
06-05-2008, 21:13
68 here in NH right now. A little humid the last few days. Should cool off into the mid 50's tonight. Maybe 75 or so tomorrow. The payback for all this is -20's or lower in the winter. Has the snow melted in the Whites, yet? I read there was 3-5 feet over Memorial Day weekend.

Marta
06-05-2008, 21:42
It was hot and muggy here in Charlotte today, with more of the same forecast for a number of days. Fortunately for me, I'm leaving for Montana on Tuesday. As far as I can tell, it's going to be in the 50's and 60's there, and raining just about every day, for the foreseeable future. Yeehaw!

After a few weeks of that, I'll probably be thrilled to get back into the hot, sunny South...

hopefulhiker
06-05-2008, 21:55
I agree Marta. It was really hot for early June around Charlotte today.. I too am headed out, but going just for a week to the montains of Costa Rica.. Good luck on your trek in the Rockies!

kayak karl
06-05-2008, 22:08
How hot is it where you are? The temp hit 99 here in Durham today, with heat index of 101! :eek: It's not supposed to get this hot for another 2-3 weeks at least! Yuck! :(
tell me about it. we are doing 4 roofs, back to back into saturday. and no roof top deliveries:mad:

MagicSFK
06-05-2008, 22:09
Just another typical South Florida day here....mid 90's, high humidity...you know, the usual. :sun

slow
06-05-2008, 22:43
A.C. is big money down here and it can never be to hot.:D

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 22:48
You think its hot here? Think about all those poor bastards in Iraq, wearing K-pots and body armor.

Bob S
06-05-2008, 22:50
95 and high humidity and love it due to being in a attic at 130 for 5 hours.:D

You know I think the same thing. I clean carpet for a living, after spraying down 240 deg water all day it feels good to go outside into a 90 deg temp and any humidity that’s lower then 100%:)

4eyedbuzzard
06-05-2008, 23:00
Has the snow melted in the Whites, yet? I read there was 3-5 feet over Memorial Day weekend.

Still snow on Mt. Washington and the Presidentials down to about 4000 feet I guess. Some lingering patches on north slopes and in the woods too above 3500. About knee deep at worst according to most trail reports and most much less. Most trails passable without traction aids.

kayak karl
06-05-2008, 23:05
You think its hot here? Think about all those poor bastards in Iraq, wearing K-pots and body armor.
TY, your right, i forgot. a friends daughter is there right now. 100 +, i will not complain tomorrow:)

modiyooch
06-05-2008, 23:08
Last August I left 90 degree temps in NC only to be snowed on the next day climbing MT Washington.
Thanks for the report 4eyedbuzzard. I'm going to wait out the month of June before I venture back out. I was in NY/CT/MA a couple of weeks ago and it was cold. I need a warmer bag.

slow
06-05-2008, 23:15
Funny how up north they prey to stay cold, but most like it hot down here.

take-a-knee
06-05-2008, 23:55

I don't, cold weather builds character. Those who don't prepare don't last long.

slow
06-06-2008, 00:21
I don't, cold weather builds character. Those who don't prepare don't last long.

And heat builds stamina.:)

SEE what more people die of in the world....not cold.

santa
06-06-2008, 00:27
A nice 70 degree's here in colorado. Life is good :)

ShelterLeopard
06-06-2008, 00:34
I like it cold. When you're cold it's so awsome just to add layers. You have absolutely no control over heat.

ShelterLeopard
06-06-2008, 00:35
I mean control over heat when it's hot outside. Of course you have control over heat when it's cold. If you're prepared.

River Runner
06-06-2008, 00:37
92 F here today in western West Virginia. Very humid following storms all day yesterday which caused lots of minor flooding.

Lone Wolf
06-06-2008, 00:55

huh? what's up? pretty normal :-?

4eyedbuzzard
06-06-2008, 01:47

It's usually tolerable down there from Nov through March. Good golf weather. We make a winter golf trip to FL every year.

slow
06-06-2008, 02:00
It's usually tolerable down there from Nov through March. Good golf weather. We make a winter golf trip to FL every year.

Can put you up in my condo for the buick golf champ 15 hole.Just pay for my rental pool.:D

Marta
06-06-2008, 06:47
I agree Marta. It was really hot for early June around Charlotte today.. I too am headed out, but going just for a week to the montains of Costa Rica.. Good luck on your trek in the Rockies!

Sounds excellent. Have a great trip!

modiyooch
06-06-2008, 07:27
I like it cold. When you're cold it's so awsome just to add layers. You have absolutely no control over heat. I beg to differ. I rather be in heat than cold. I stay hydrated, and I wear a wet shirt from the streams. I keep my bandana wet. When I hit that remote shower in MD (?), I went in with my clothes (minus the boots and socks). I wear clothing designed for the heat. The colder it is; the heavier your pack.

kanga
06-06-2008, 08:09
101 yesterday and it's not going down til monday (97, supposedly).

boarstone
06-06-2008, 09:48
Suppose to be in the hi 80's to MAYBE low 90's Sat and Sun. here. It's a hot 58* here now, cloudy, chance of a shower....:(

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2008, 10:44
It was suppose to rain yesterday, but the sun stayed out and temps were in the low 90s. Today it was suppose to be in the mid-90s, but now it's cool and cloudy, looking like rain.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 10:45
It was suppose to rain yesterday, but the sun stayed out and temps were in the low 90s. Today it was suppose to be in the mid-90s, but now it's cool and cloudy, looking like rain.
It was spose ta be hot and sunny here today. It's 62 and pouring.:mad:

Summit
06-06-2008, 11:20
Yahoo Weather's predicted heat index for today has the hottest spot in the nation, 103, right smack dab on Raleigh/Durham!
Meltdown! :(

LIhikers
06-06-2008, 12:18
It's cool here on Long Island, 60 degrees and lookin like rain.
So far the spring has been cool, what happened to global warming?

wilconow
06-06-2008, 12:34

Were you here Wednesday? Newscasters said they were the most fierce storms in a long time

Summit
06-06-2008, 12:44
Yahoo Weather's predicted heat index for today has the hottest spot in the nation, 103, right smack dab on Raleigh/Durham!
Meltdown! :(Revised now to 104! But looks like it's hotter in Tallahassee, FL - 105! That's where I'm from, so it looks like I've moved to a cooler climate! :D

Lellers
06-06-2008, 13:26
The heat is cranking up this weekend in Philly, and I'm getting ready to drive out to Yellowstone next week. I checked some trail reports, and it sounds like there are still some trails closed due to snow and lots of wet, mucky trails from still-recent snow melt. I'm packing fleece for some cold nights there. It's hard to get my mind around doing that in June, but I'm looking forward to it!

tazie
06-06-2008, 13:30
Were you here Wednesday? Newscasters said they were the most fierce storms in a long time

Yup. The newspaper here said we experienced a "gustnado" a gusty strong wind that precedes a tornado, never heard of that before, had to google it. Did a few hrs on the Gathland portion of the AT this morning and felt like a suana...and looked like I had taken a shower afterwards. Bleah!

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2008, 13:34
Yeah, it was a good one. It seemed to come out of no where, our power was out for ~24 hours.

Blissful
06-06-2008, 13:54
Hot in Virginia too, but that isn't atypical for this time of year. What is...is the length of time. This is supposed to go on for a week.

Thinking of the thru hikers in VA right now....

Lone Wolf
06-06-2008, 13:57
Hot in Virginia

Thinking of the thru hikers in VA right now....

not me. i'm thinking of cold beers in air conditioning at dot's later

DavidNH
06-06-2008, 14:24
Here in Frostburg at 2,100', the hottest forecasted day over the next 10 days is 89 on Monday. Night lows are in low-to-mid 60s. Today was about 83. Last summer it didn't reach 90. However it is humid. The coolest place is the Big Savage Tunnel on the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). Once inside on a hot day, the temperture plunges just like a cave.

New England gets its share of heat & humidity. I've hiked on some very hot and humid days in Vermont including last year in September. And the humidity when I started my Gorham-to-Katahdin trek mid-August 2005 was very sticky.

yes it does! I don't deny that at all. But it tends to be short lived.

I remember on my AT and LT treks... the most swealtering portion of the hike always seems to come on rt 103 .. you descend into a valley.. hike a half mile off trail on a paved road to the ice cream place (hey ya can't pass up on ice cream!) then back and up other side. The heat always seems to dissipate by time I climb Killington!

we do get into the 90's in southern and central New England maybe a half dozen times a year. But compare this to Atlanta, Miami or even NYC! UGH!

southpaw95
06-06-2008, 14:49
It so hot here in Catawba, I saw a dog chasin' a cat and they were both walkin'.:)

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2008, 16:19
Didn't rain today, but it also didn't get as hot as some reports forecasted. Barely hot enough to dry my sleepingbag. It got to about 86 degrees, but was very mild. Curious to see what tomorrow brings.

Bumpa
06-06-2008, 16:23
Just to break down some stereotypes about the great white north....90 degrees with a humidex reading of 107...in Peterborough, Ontario...I remember the beer in Dot's, Lone Wolf.....Bumpa

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 16:27
Curious to see what tomorrow brings.
Wheat Kings and pretty things
That's what tomorrow brings.

Just to break down some stereotypes about the great white north....90 degrees with a humidex reading of 107...in Peterborough, Ontario...I remember the beer in Dot's, Lone Wolf.....Bumpa
Tragically Hip reference for ya Ontario.;):)

Bumpa
06-06-2008, 16:32
Wheat Kings and pretty things
That's what tomorrow brings.

Tragically Hip reference for ya Ontario.;):)

Right on!! Long live Gord Downie..Bumpa

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 16:35
Right on!! Long live Gord Downie..Bumpa
They shot a movie once
In my home town
Everbody was in it
For miles around
Out at the speedway
Some kind of Elvis thing
Well I ain't no movie star
But I can get behind anything

John Klein
06-06-2008, 17:27
Brother, it's a miracle I didn't get it based on how overgrown the trail was. I believe DWM advised wearing long pants in another thread on the Duncan Ridge but I forgot and wore shorts (and low gaiters). I hiked the Coosa Backcountry Trail counterclockwise from Vogel to the Duncan Ridge. I went as far as Mulky Gap and camped there. Rather than hike back to my car the same way (some of that sidehill trail was sketchy), I bailed the next day and hitched a ride from FS 4 into Blairsville. Then I walked back to Vogel. Again, one highlight was cooling off in the lake at Vogel...

mudhead
06-06-2008, 17:38
56*f with showers off/on. It has been damp here for a week.

I like heat, we should get some for around here, but I do wish the smog would stay south.

Tipi Walter
06-06-2008, 19:48
I love winter backpacking but I just got back from a 6 day backpacking trip in southeast Tennessee and gotta say it was hot and partly miserable. I miss the cold and I miss the snow. But a backpacker has to accept the good(heat)with the better(snow)and go out in all conditions. Momma Nature expects us out in all conditions.

Since winters are milder I've been seeing alot more rattlesnakes and on this trip I saw two on separate days, one was on the Stiffknee trail coming out of the Slickrock valley, and the other was in the grass on Bob Bald. A full trip report is forthcoming.

Fotogs:
Brother snake on the trail checking out my black dog which he probably thought was a wild pig. We all hung out for a while until I had to move on.

This baby was a bit more agitated as he was in the open sunlight atop a high bald. After introductions he stopped buzzing and quietly moved under a bush.

Darwin again
06-06-2008, 22:09

Volunteers, all.

take-a-knee
06-06-2008, 22:21
Volunteers, all.

Yes, and tip your hat and buy a GI a meal the next time you see one, to thank him for volunteering.

River Runner
06-06-2008, 22:38
Volunteers, all.

And I am thankful for them. Good idea on buying one a meal, take-a-knee.

Skidsteer
06-06-2008, 23:20

Costa Rica is awesome. Enjoy yourself.

Brother, it's a miracle I didn't get it based on how overgrown the trail was. I believe DWM advised wearing long pants in another thread on the Duncan Ridge but I forgot and wore shorts (and low gaiters). I hiked the Coosa Backcountry Trail counterclockwise from Vogel to the Duncan Ridge. I went as far as Mulky Gap and camped there. Rather than hike back to my car the same way (some of that sidehill trail was sketchy), I bailed the next day and hitched a ride from FS 4 into Blairsville. Then I walked back to Vogel. Again, one highlight was cooling off in the lake at Vogel...

Thanks for the report. I suspected as much. I've got a week in July but I think I'll pass on the poison ivy and go somewhere else.

Scaper
06-07-2008, 10:15
Already 84 at my house in Linden at 1000 feet in elevation. 80 degrees at Big Meadows at 3500 feet in Snp. Its going to be a hot one. Working outside everyday I drink over a gallon of water a day. On the A-T under the trees its not as bad and has never bothered me. Someone who works all day in an airconditioned building the change can really zap your energy.

Skyline
06-07-2008, 10:35
Dangerously hot and muggy in the Shenandoah Valley. Washington DC is even worse. At least tolerable up in SNP—higher the elevation, the better. Nights cool down enough for comfortable sleeping outdoors in the Park, but in the Valley the AC's cranked up.

I've been answering phones for shuttles yesterday and today. People want to know about the heat. One even cancelled a planned trip!

IMHO you can hike reasonably comfortably in the summer heat and humidity if you stay well hydrated, keep a wet bandanna handy and dunk your t-shirt in cold water when you get the chance (this is actually a situation when cotton is better than synthetics).

On one of the years of my section hike, we had about 10 straight days of triple-digit heat and humidity (index). One strategy that helped was to wake up about 3:30am, and be hiking by 4:30am. Not so warm then, and kinda cool to be making miles right at the first break of daylight. We'd hike 'til about 10 or 11am, and take a long "siesta" 'til about 5pm...with any luck near a stream or at elevation with a gentle breeze. Dinner was over by 6, and we'd start hiking 'til dusk or later. Setting up camp was usually fast and efficient because we'd already had dinner. This worked reasonably well for about a week, and then the temps moderated.

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2008, 10:42
Dangerously hot and muggy in the Shenandoah Valley. Washington DC is even worse. At least tolerable up in SNP—higher the elevation, the better. Nights cool down enough for comfortable sleeping outdoors in the Park, but in the Valley the AC's cranked up....
I'm in D.C. and it is very hot at 1040 am. However, I'm not using AC; a call for Americans to stop being energy hogs:D

c.coyle
06-07-2008, 10:46
90+ and muggy today in Central Pa. At least we had a real spring for a change. Got an invite to canoe the Swattie. Really ought to do some house painting. Hmmm.

Cookerhiker
06-07-2008, 12:10
Still in mid-80s at noon here in Frostburg. Doing my bike ride this afternoon. Can't wait until the cool tunnel - the reward for 6+ miles of steady uphill.

Tipi Walter
06-07-2008, 13:06
Still in mid-80s at noon here in Frostburg. Doing my bike ride this afternoon. Can't wait until the cool tunnel - the reward for 6+ miles of steady uphill.

Very cool(I mean hot). I hope you mean bicycle. I just returned from a good ride on my touring bike and as soon as I got home I pulled out the Bronners and the garden hose and immediately got liquified. But I don't care what the pedal types say, backpacking in this heat is always worse than riding in it. Except for the traffic.

BTW, the Knoxville weather pinheads say the Air Quality outdoors is questionable and recommend people stay indoors. And they ain't talking about the pollen count.

Marta
06-07-2008, 13:21
BTW, the Knoxville weather pinheads say the Air Quality outdoors is questionable and recommend people stay indoors. And they ain't talking about the pollen count.

It'll be interesting to see how the urban air quality is this summer. According to the local news reports, there has been some reduction in the amount of driving going on around here because of the high price of gas. Last summer there was one Code Orange day after another, except when it was a Code Red day. Will there be any improvement this year?

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2008, 13:37
It'll be interesting to see how the urban air quality is this summer. According to the local news reports, there has been some reduction in the amount of driving going on around here because of the high price of gas. Last summer there was one Code Orange day after another, except when it was a Code Red day. Will there be any improvement this year?
Another reason I want gas to be $10 per gallon:clap

Lone Wolf
06-07-2008, 14:25
gas is $3.99 in damascus

rafe
06-07-2008, 14:33
IMHO you can hike reasonably comfortably in the summer heat and humidity if you stay well hydrated, keep a wet bandanna handy and wet your t-shirt with cold water when you get the chance (this is actually a situation when cotton is better than synthetics).

I agree, for above the waist. Cotton drawers, no.

rafe
06-07-2008, 14:36
gas is $3.99 in damascus

Lately, it's up a dime every time I fill up. That means $7.50/gallon before year-end. But hey, you're laughing all the way to the bank. ;)

modiyooch
06-07-2008, 15:20
currently 101 at my house.

Skyline
06-07-2008, 15:41
I agree, for above the waist. Cotton drawers, no.

True. I was thinking of a cotton t-shirt. It was one of the few times I wore my Rusty's (cotton) t-shirt while hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
06-07-2008, 15:51
93 here out on my deck in NORTHERN, NH!

How hot is it?

It's so hot I saw people in convertibles putting the top up and turning on the A/C...

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2008, 16:13
Currently 95, but feels like 107 according to YAHOO weather. I like to thank all you slackpackers for the global warming:D

LIhikers
06-07-2008, 16:16
It's cool here on Long Island, 60 degrees and lookin like rain.
So far the spring has been cool, what happened to global warming?

What a difference a day makes!
Today it's just about 90 in the shade. Out in the sun it's noticeably hotter, and there isn't a cloud in the sky.

modiyooch
06-07-2008, 16:20
Currently 95, but feels like 107 according to YAHOO weather. I like to thank all you slackpackers for the global warming:D
please explain slackpackers=global warming. I don't get it.

Summit
06-07-2008, 17:12
I like to thank all you slackpackers for the global warming:DI'll rally around someone to blame the world's mess on! It makes us feel better when we can levy the blame on someone! :D :p

Cookerhiker
06-07-2008, 18:02

Very cool(I mean hot). I hope you mean bicycle. I just returned from a good ride on my touring bike and as soon as I got home I pulled out the Bronners and the garden hose and immediately got liquified. But I don't care what the pedal types say, backpacking in this heat is always worse than riding in it. Except for the traffic.

Yes, it's cycling non-motorized on the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). I just got back from 22 miles, gradual up followed by gradual down. Currently 84 here, down 3 degrees from the high.

Yeah, I guess I agree that backpacking in heat is generally tougher but when riding a bike uphill, you don't have the luxury of resting unless you want to lose your momentum. Also, a gentle breeze in your face is a blessing while backpacking but a burden when cycling uphill. Any cooling benefits are offset by the additional energy to bike into the wind.

Incahiker
06-07-2008, 18:07
I just got back from a neighborhood pool. Feels great when your in the pool. When I got out to eat some Bar-B-Q with the kids, after about 4 minutes it was MISERABLE!!! I almost suffocated with the humidity! It was about 95 degrees here in Kennesaw Georgia

yappy
06-07-2008, 18:55
I hate to tell you guys but we have'nt hit 70 yet in 2 rivers alaska ... as far as the 90's go I don't think it has ever gotten that hot ! I like it here though but I only wish it would " just " get to 20 below in the winter.. haha.

mudhead
06-07-2008, 19:12
58*f here on the coast of Maine. No rain today, but seabreeze and fog and damp. Inland got sun and warm. Takes forever for the ocean to warm up.

Humor me-tell me some more about sticky weather. My feet are cold.

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:21
We have 24 hrs of spellbinding light here now and the breeze coming off the pond is fragrant with the scent of tundra. days like today are why we all dwell in the winter up here...just a few sweet and enchanting weeks of summer. It actually will feel hot here if it gets to 70 this yr.

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 19:24
OK, I feel a little better about my lot in life, living in frigid New England, after hearing from you guys. Poor Yappy!

I'm LOVING the heat today! Bring it on!

The ocean up here NEVER warms up. In late August, sometimes it's tolerable -- barely -- on a 95-degree day, but only if you have a few cocktails in your system. You can actually perish of hypothermia within minutes on a hot summer day in the ocean around here, or so a local harbormaster once told me.

Rockhound
06-07-2008, 19:27
Has anyone said it yet? OK I'll be the Ahole. It's not the heat. It's the humidity

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 19:28
The humidity is what makes it so GREAT.

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:32
lol... its' the heat ! no, its' the humidity ! ...up here its' the COLD ! no, its' the DARKNESS ! ...Oh God, look what you guys have done.. here I am thinking about freaking winter !

Summit
06-07-2008, 19:36
In 1994 I spent three weeks in Alaska from 2-22 June. I never saw darkness from the time my 11 year old son and I set foot in Anchorage until we departed. We took the Alaska Railroad to Denali NP and spent 10 days there, hiking in and out of the Denali wilderness. After a return trip to Anchorage via the Alaska Railroad, we toured via rental car Valdez and the Kenai Peninsula out to Homer.

Yappy, you live in God's paradise! You are very blessed!

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 19:38
Poor Yappy.

Hey, enjoy the sunlight while you have it! I'll try to soak up a couple of extra sunrays for you when I hit the beach tomorrow.

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:42
Hi Summit, yes.. when it is a I have no words kind of day I just drink it in like my dog lulu does the creek. There is no place like it that I have seen , yet. it is changing though. fairbanks has more then hints of " downtown anywhere " now . My favorite feed store is closing.. can't compete with the new petco. ..the little book store stumbles valiantly along all the while looking overs its' shoulder at the intimadating barnes and noble that just opened up. I live 20 miles out at the end a deadend road. the gas prices wound me but the peace and quiet surely does'nt.

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:43
The beach ??! I think I hate you !..:)

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 19:48
Well, before you hate me too much, read my earlier post about how the ocean's too cold to swim in...and we have to pay for our time at the beach with heinous traffic. Around here, there are only so many days a year when it's warm enough for the beach, and when we get one of those days, everyone in a 50-mile radius jumps in their cars and heads down the one road to said beach.

Your place sounds beautiful, aside from the cold, the darkness, and the American suburban sprawl taking over.

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 19:49
You should post some pictures. It might help cool the rest of us off, just looking at Alaska right now.

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:52
LOL Pokey... it is not THAT bad up here ! Hey, we don't have a freeway... that's is good right ?.... I still pee in an outhouse..:) AND lots of terrific salmon to eat..

yappy
06-07-2008, 19:53
I would post pics if i knew how..lol.. yeah, I am a puter dunce..:)

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2008, 20:03
Yes, it's cycling non-motorized on the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). I just got back from 22 miles, gradual up followed by gradual down. Currently 84 here, down 3 degrees from the high....
Hey, I'll be doing that in another couple of weeks; is the path (GAP) as good as it sounds?

Cookerhiker
06-07-2008, 20:41
Hey, I'll be doing that in another couple of weeks; is the path (GAP) as good as it sounds?

I've only ridden the southernmost 44 miles plus I've been on it at Ohiopyle State Park but it's fair to say the entire trail is awesome. The trail is in better shape than the C&O Canal with only a few soft spots from the recent heavy rains.

The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (http://www.railtrails.org/index.html) has just created a Rail Trail Hall of Fame (http://www.railtrails.org/newsandpubs/trailofthemonth/HallofFame.html)and the GAP is a charter member.

What direction are you riding? Are you riding the whole trail from McKeesport? If you ride starting in Cumberland, be advised that the first 21 miles are all uphill. So if you ride eastbound/southbound from McKeesport, you'll have a nice long downhill after passing through the Big Savage Tunnel which BTW is refreshingly cool.

Do you have your shuttle lined up?

modiyooch
06-07-2008, 23:37
"Hickory heat approaches historic highs"

Plus, we are still in drought conditions.

mudhead
06-08-2008, 08:09
Would be very interested in the result of the heat on the blackflies.

Will get out of a shirt today, maybe. Depends on the seabreeze.

Air quality alert here today, gotta go mow now, maybe crank up the chainsaw.

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2008, 08:30
What direction are you riding? Are you riding the whole trail from McKeesport? If you ride starting in Cumberland, be advised that the first 21 miles are all uphill. So if you ride eastbound/southbound from McKeesport, you'll have a nice long downhill after passing through the Big Savage Tunnel which BTW is refreshingly cool.

Do you have your shuttle lined up?
I'm riding the whole section from Mckeesport, south to Cumberland. Our shuttle is setup.

Press
06-08-2008, 12:31
mo' hotta mo' betta.

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 13:17
Did the Woody Gap to Neels section yesterday, it was hot at h3ll. I checked my thermometer at every stop. Hottest I saw it was 93*F at around 2PM. It was 86 with little to no breeze on top of Blood. I had to put a stuff sack under me to sit on top of picnic rock as those rocks were blistering hot. Looking at my remote thermometer on the wall right now reads 98.6*F. I am about 20 miles southeast of Blood Mountain at about 1650'. I can see Blood and Brasstown off my deck in the winter. It is hot, I mean REAL hot.

My next hike is going to be next to a river or creek of some sort. I'm thinking Chattoga River Trail system for the next couple of months.

woodsy
06-08-2008, 15:03
Y'all need some of this (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22516)about now, you know it looks good!:):D

Monkeywrench
06-08-2008, 15:51
92 here in the Boston area today. Last weekend I was up in the Green Mountains backpacking and the black flies were a tad annoying. With this heat and humidity they must be driving hikers to distraction now!

Marta
06-08-2008, 18:21
Went out for a dayhike at Crowders Mtn. State Park. It was dog-breath hot. We were sitting in the shade at the top when a college-aged guy asked if we could spare some water. He said he was seeing black spots. We had six liters for the three of us, so we gave him a liter. Fortunately we had some plastic soda-bottles, so we didn't need to get the container back.

The lizards were frisky today. Instead of hanging out on the rocks, as they usually do, they were running up tree trunks and jumping around. There was a girl trying to get a photo of a lizard. They were not cooperating.

Programbo
06-08-2008, 19:50
I went up to do a day hike on the AT in Maryland today and after going a few miles I said screw this and headed back..Brutally hot and humid..I then headed down for a walk on the flatter and shadier C&O Canal and it was still pretty hot...Must have been a bad storm up there recently too as I saw a lot of fair sized trees snapped over and split

Survivor Dave
06-08-2008, 19:55
It's 8 PM in Roswell, Ga. Current temp 94 degrees. A/C hasn't shut off in days....I don't think I'll be using the 20* bag tonight.:eek:

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2008, 19:56
Yeah, it was damn hot today - Damn slackpackers!

peanuts
06-08-2008, 19:58
its 98 outside my window thermometer! god i hate it!!:mad:

rafe
06-08-2008, 20:07
its 98 outside my window thermometer! god i hate it!!:mad:

Buck up, pal. summer doesn't start for another couple of weeks, and you know it keeps getting hotter for another month or so after that. You may get some relief around August.... :banana

tazie
06-08-2008, 20:58
So is it true it takes 2 wks to acclimate to the heat? I seem to remember that from my running days. Programbo, I noticed the downed trees/limbs on the Gathland section on Friday...was a nasty little storm that passed thru. Romie couldn't tolerate the heat today so we cut the hike short.

modiyooch
06-08-2008, 21:59
At 9 pm in Hickory it was still 91 degrees. I ran for an hour. I had to hit a house up for spigot water to wet my bandana. I will now admit it is a bit dangerous out there.

take-a-knee
06-08-2008, 22:07
So is it true it takes 2 wks to acclimate to the heat? I seem to remember that from my running days. Programbo, I noticed the downed trees/limbs on the Gathland section on Friday...was a nasty little storm that passed thru. Romie couldn't tolerate the heat today so we cut the hike short.

About two weeks, you need to lavish the salt and electrolyte drinks your first two weeks each summer. It takes about that long for your body to start conserving sodium in your sweat.

Pokey2006
06-08-2008, 22:20
Good to know about this two-week thing, especially since I just took up running and am a little nervous about doing it in the heat for the first time in years. There's a point when simply keeping hydrated isn't enough.

Darwin again
06-10-2008, 19:30
About two weeks, you need to lavish the salt and electrolyte drinks your first two weeks each summer. It takes about that long for your body to start conserving sodium in your sweat.

You must know what you mean.
But for the rest of the planet, please explain.
I think this means that it takes about two weeks for you body to begin conserving sodium so that it isn't all lost in your sweat.

Clarity?

take-a-knee
06-10-2008, 20:27
You must know what you mean.
But for the rest of the planet, please explain.
I think this means that it takes about two weeks for you body to begin conserving sodium so that it isn't all lost in your sweat.

Clarity?

Your body has to "learn" each year to restrict the amount of sodium (Na) that reaches your sweat glands, IE, an acclimated person's sweat contains less sodium (and other electrolytes) than a non-heat acclimated person. This can set a non-acclimated person up for hyponatremia, which can be fatal.

Bare Bear
06-10-2008, 20:38
This HEAT! My frozen Margueritas get warm way too fast as I go back and forth to the pool. I have had to tech up my gear and use one of those thermal bags to keep the pitcher in but the weight is way high....oh yeah I only have to hike the 50 yards from my front door to the pool so I guess I'll just suffer the weight.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2008, 08:14
Has it cooled down some? Here, it was a delightful 56 this morning with less humidity. Today's high expected at 79. Perfect day to start my cycle trip to Harpers Ferry.

Pedaling Fool
06-11-2008, 10:32
I just walked outside - It's ****ing freezing!!!

buff_jeff
06-11-2008, 14:25
It ain't that bad. I've been on the trail for all this and the worst part was back at hump mountain and all those balds. I drank 2.5 gallons of water that day.

Bear Cables
06-14-2008, 12:50
Nashville was in the 90's and reasonably humid.

I'm glad my July hiking is going to be at 5000 feet in the Smokies or at Big South Fork right next to a creek or river.:)

Don't count on cooler temp just because your in the Smokies! We cut out hike from NOC to Clingmans short due to 93 degree heat and heavy humidity at 4-5000 ft. check your forcast and water up!

Bear Cables
06-14-2008, 12:56
It's always hot and humid way down here in Deep South Louisiana! Next trip this summer is to Alaska in two weeks. Maybe we can cool off there. Then do a little canoe trip before school starts :eek:August 6:eek: Can't wait to retire next spring so i can hike in the cooler months of spring and early fall!

flint927
06-14-2008, 19:34
How was the water situation along the trail where you hiked? We are going from Davenport gap to Hot springs next weekend and am trying to find out what the situation is before we get there.

Bear Cables
06-15-2008, 11:59
How was the water situation along the trail where you hiked? We are going from Davenport gap to Hot springs next weekend and am trying to find out what the situation is before we get there.

Water was fine. The springs were a little slow but more than adequate. I think they got some of that rain that came through the midwest so might be even better.. We had no water problems at all. Maybe someone who lives around there can update on rainfall.

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2008, 15:47
It's freakin' freezing here in the D.C. area; I think we're headed for an Ice Age. http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USMD0302_f.html

Cookerhiker
06-17-2008, 19:22
Goin' down to the mid 40s tonight here in Frostburg. I love it!:)

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2008, 12:44
It's freakin' freezing here in the D.C. area; I think we're headed for an Ice Age. http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USMD0302_f.html
I wonder if the gulf stream (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article598464.ece) has stopped flowing:sun

deeddawg
06-18-2008, 12:57

Water sources along the AT from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap were in fine shape the first week of June. I'd imagine you'll be fine.

Pedaling Fool
06-19-2008, 11:25

I wonder if the gulf stream (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article598464.ece) has stopped flowing:sun
Can someone check to see if the gulf stream is still flowing, I'm getting worried.