PDA

View Full Version : Question about possible Alabama extension

GrouchoMark
06-06-2008, 08:59
My understanding is the Pinhoti Trail links up with the Benton Mackaye Trail well north of Springer Mountain in Georgia. My question is, which way would hikers be routed after reaching this point? Would the rest of the AT be left as is or would there be a total reroute heading up the to the Smokey Mountains following the current route of the Benton Mackaye trail? I personally would rather leave the AT as is and let both the Pinhoti Trail and the International Appalachian Trail be maintained and protected by their current conservancies. The Appalachian trail has many long distance feeder trails throughout the Appalachian mountain chain including the North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail and the Long Trail in Vermont. I believe this type of trail system is what the pioneers of the AT had in mind when the trail was first envisioned.

ki0eh
06-06-2008, 09:07
http://www.greateasterntrail.org incorporates the Alabama Pinhoti and the western end of Georgia Pinhoti - exactly how far not yet determined.

I would suggest that hikers "be routed" according to their own desires, as long as they know there are options and what the considerations of those options would be.

StarLyte
06-06-2008, 09:08
PM Mowgli on this.

Is he hiking? Haven't seen him around.

If he doesn't answer, PM Hammock Hanger.

Dances with Mice
06-06-2008, 09:52
There are no plans to extend the AT.

paradoxb3
06-06-2008, 11:37
I'm not so sure i would want the current Pinhoti as an extension of the AT anyway. From what I've hiked of it, and maps I've looked at, half of it isn't even actual "trail," but road walks.

Two Speed
06-06-2008, 12:03
I'm not so sure i would want the current Pinhoti as an extension of the AT anyway. From what I've hiked of it, and maps I've looked at, half of it isn't even actual "trail," but road walks.Lots of road walks between Calhoun, GA and Cave Spring, GA, but only about 300 yds of road walk in Alabama.

Cuffs
06-06-2008, 12:22
The PT from Flagg Mtn to Bull Gap is road walk. (but it is blazed) Bull Gap to Cave Spring, GA is woods trail, about 140 miles. the PT in GA does have 2 road walks (about 20 mi each) but they are also blazed. The PT connects to the BMT. if NOBO, turn right and hike 90 miles to Springer. (or is it 70 miles? I forget...)

The only group pushing the issue of making the PT the new AT is the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce. No hiking groups are making it their agenda.

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 12:26
The PT connects to the BMT. if NOBO, turn right and hike 90 miles to Springer. (or is it 70 miles? I forget...)

Non-purists could turn left at the BMT and pick-up the AT at either Sassafras Gap or Davenport Gap. That cuts out all of the AT in Georgia - and gets you north quicker.

Grandma
06-06-2008, 12:33
It's not going to happen.

Cuffs
06-06-2008, 12:46
Non-purists could turn left at the BMT and pick-up the AT at either Sassafras Gap or Davenport Gap. That cuts out all of the AT in Georgia - and gets you north quicker.

Ah yes! How far to Sassafrass Gap?

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 12:48
Ah yes! How far to Sassafrass Gap?

Prolly a hair over 110 miles. I don't have the databook handy.

take-a-knee
06-06-2008, 14:11
Instead of worrying about what name is given to which footpath I think it would be a better idea to be concerned with finishing the Pinhoti, since, as has been mentioned, it's still about half road walk in GA.

minnesotasmith
06-06-2008, 14:37
My understanding is the Pinhoti Trail links up with the Benton Mackaye Trail well north of Springer Mountain in Georgia. My question is, which way would hikers be routed after reaching this point? Would the rest of the AT be left as is or would there be a total reroute heading up the to the Smokey Mountains following the current route of the Benton Mackaye trail? I personally would rather leave the AT as is and let both the Pinhoti Trail and the International Appalachian Trail be maintained and protected by their current conservancies. The Appalachian trail has many long distance feeder trails throughout the Appalachian mountain chain including the North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail and the Long Trail in Vermont. I believe this type of trail system is what the pioneers of the AT had in mind when the trail was first envisioned.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37496