PDA

View Full Version : I'm playing with my alky (cat) stove...

Mike Drinkuth
02-15-2004, 13:00
I'm just getting the alcohol-water ratio down pat and I feel like i'm using too much fuel...I use the cat stove (from sgt rock's web site) because i'm going to be using this stove for both me and my partner this year and it has a large size and is easy to make. I figure that it will be easier to cook for 2 with a little bigger stove.
I'm measuring fuel with a 2-liter soda bottle top.
I know that 2 bottle caps full(fuel)=.5 oz. I also know that I need 4 bottle caps of alcohol to boil 1pt (16oz.) of water.
I'm finding, however, that i'm not really getting a boil from 4 bottlecaps full.
I'm getting close...just no boil.
It's about 43 degrees outside with a slight breeze and constant drizzle. I'm on my front porch doing this. Will I sometimes need more fuel than 4 bottlecaps full in yucky weather?
Also...Is it safe to try to boil 2 pints of water with my stove? i.e. if I go pour 8 bottlecaps of fuel in my stove will I have problems?
Or should my partner and I figure on each toting our own stove this year?

2XL
02-15-2004, 14:13
What do you plan on cooking? Do you need the water to the boiling point?
When you are rehydrating foods, the water does not need to be right at boiling. If you add your water to your dry meal, cover and set aside for maybe an extra minute, it will usually cook/rehydrate fine.
You are most likely going to have to wait for your food to cool before eating it anyway.

Lilred
02-15-2004, 15:54
I'm just getting the alcohol-water ratio down pat and I feel like i'm using too much fuel...I use the cat stove (from sgt rock's web site) because i'm going to be using this stove for both me and my partner this year and it has a large size and is easy to make. I figure that it will be easier to cook for 2 with a little bigger stove.
I'm measuring fuel with a 2-liter soda bottle top.
I know that 2 bottle caps full(fuel)=.5 oz. I also know that I need 4 bottle caps of alcohol to boil 1pt (16oz.) of water.
I'm finding, however, that i'm not really getting a boil from 4 bottlecaps full.
I'm getting close...just no boil.
It's about 43 degrees outside with a slight breeze and constant drizzle. I'm on my front porch doing this. Will I sometimes need more fuel than 4 bottlecaps full in yucky weather?
Also...Is it safe to try to boil 2 pints of water with my stove? i.e. if I go pour 8 bottlecaps of fuel in my stove will I have problems?
Or should my partner and I figure on each toting our own stove this year?

Are you using a wind screen? I made one out of aluminum foil and it really helped improve the boil time. I hiked in November when the evening temps were probably in the 40's and never had any trouble getting a full rolling boil. I used anywhere from 3/4 to 1 oz. of fuel. I also put a little aluminum foil under the stove to help retain heat.

Mike Drinkuth
02-15-2004, 16:44
I am using a windscreen made from aluminum with holes around the bottom, but, I am not putting anything under the stove to retain heat...good idea!

Streamweaver
02-15-2004, 16:57
I am using a windscreen made from aluminum with holes around the bottom, but, I am not putting anything under the stove to retain heat...good idea!

The space between your pot and the windscreen makes a big diference ,it should be about 1/4 inch or so .Too much space and youll get more air flow causing the fuel to burn to fast and too much heat escapes. too little space and the gasses that build up can not escape fast enough and it can somewhat smother the flame.And I agree that foil underneath does help! Streamweaver