PDA

View Full Version : Terriers

Rouen
06-06-2008, 10:36
I didn't want to highjack the BT thread
It seems theres a decent amount of people on this forum that have terriers.
so what're the pro's/cons of terrier companionship in your opinion, what would be their downfalls on the trail-if any, and what breeds do you prefer, and why? lets hear about your dogs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/rouenduck/Dingo/IMG_1838.jpg

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 10:39
I had two friends named Terri but one was definitely terrier than the other.:D

:o:o

RenegadeBuddha
06-06-2008, 16:27
Well I have a Jack named gizmo. I can not imagine a better companion. Very loyal with out being clingy. We have just started hikeing and the only problem I have so far is him chasing after small animials. However he is only 1 so we are still training. Hopefully we can ovecome this.

esabacz
09-26-2008, 13:30
I have a JRT/Corgi mix. Things that I have learned are are trying to overcome so far is as follows:

1) You must have allot of patience and be strong willed to control (if you can call it that) a half terrier (much less a full blooded one).
2) You must have allot of patience and be strong willed to control (if you can call it that) a half terrier (much less a full blooded one). LOL.
3) They never, ever run out of energy
4) They can out smart their owner if they want to
5) They can out smart your other dogs if they want to
6) Anything that is small, furry and four legged it fair game to chase
7) Better yet, anything that runs from them is far game to chase
8) A very loud whistle is the easiest way to break their focus once they have "locked on" to something
9) Just because they may only be 25lbs, doesn't stop them from thinking they are actually 10ft tall, 400 lbs and bullet proof.
10) They can old a grudge....for days
11) If you awake your a suppose to be playing with them
12) Bears do not frighten them.....they think they are bigger than a bear....even if they do have to look up to it.
13) Putting a lease on the means they can act "big and bad" by running at things until they hit the end....conversely taking the lease off means just stand and bark.
14) Everything and everyone around them is either their play toy or their play mate, and they should always abide by this rule..DAMMIT!
15) They can jump over a log twice their height, but still won't jump up on the damn bed, and will you pick them up.
16) Your food is their food.

That's enough for now.

esabacz
09-26-2008, 13:33
I have a JRT/Corgi mix. Things that I have learned are are trying to overcome so far is as follows:

1) You must have allot of patience and be strong willed to control (if you can call it that) a half terrier (much less a full blooded one).
2) You must have allot of patience and be strong willed to control (if you can call it that) a half terrier (much less a full blooded one). LOL.
4) They can out smart their owner if they want to
5) They can out smart your other dogs if they want to
6) Anything that is small, furry and four legged it fair game to chase
7) Better yet, anything that runs from them is far game to chase
8) A very loud whistle is the easiest way to break their focus once they have "locked on" to something
9) Just because they may only be 25lbs, doesn't stop them from thinking they are actually 10ft tall, 400 lbs and bullet proof.
10) They can old a grudge....for days
11) If you awake your a suppose to be playing with them
12) Bears do not frighten them.....they think they are bigger than a bear....even if they do have to look up to it.
13) Putting a lease on the means they can act "big and bad" by running at things until they hit the end....conversely taking the lease off means just stand and bark.
14) Everything and everyone around them is either their play toy or their play mate, and they should always abide by this rule..DAMMIT!
15) They can jump over a log twice their height, but still won't jump up on the damn bed, and will you pick them up.
16) Your food is their food.

That's enough for now.

Remembered some more:

17) Your sleeping bag is only yours if your get to if first.
18) Your pillow is only yours if you get to if first
19) Night time is snuggle time, day time is play time
20) All will, or should, bow before them for their are queen.

JJMcK
10-10-2008, 08:59
i'm the proud owner of an Oorang Airedale Terrier. I can't imagine having any other kind of dog. She's 110 pounds, and all terrier.

Frau
10-17-2008, 20:28
Welcome, JJMcK:welcome

I have enough trouble with 3 Large. Every time I think about getting a Rat Terrier for the trail, I remember how much I have to do for and with the 3 large (Rottie, Yellow Lab, German Wirehair). Then I stop dreaming.

Frau

JJMcK
10-23-2008, 00:59
i think, If I wasn't such an Airedale hjead(this is my third), I'd probably go with a Jack Russel. It's just that a dog that's probably smarter than me could be little disconcerting.

Siegeofmalta
10-24-2008, 20:24
Rouen: The only thing I can think of that I did not think of before I started reading WB is to select a dog that you could carry if the dog became injured and you had to carry it out and off the trail to a Vet.

The black doggie has cute ears.

leeki pole
10-27-2008, 16:38
I have four rescues; two Labs, a miniature Dachshund and a Fiest. The fiest is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. The only one I would take on an extended hike would be the fiest. Absolutely fearless, small, about 15 pounds and as agile as Reggie Bush. Can leap from a standing stop over a 36 inch fence. Hates the water and cats. Also known as a rat terrier, hunter/killer of mice on our walks. Lives outside all year long but makes a great lap dog when asked. Perfect hiking companion.

mudhead
10-27-2008, 17:48

#3. It can be done. But you will need to plan. Especially if it is young, and rugged. Tennis ball, use a racquet. Or a knot rope, and another dog.

#9. Be advised this catches many JR's before they reach middle age.

musicwoman
10-27-2008, 19:31
I recently adopted a pit bull terrier mix. Wow, is she different in temperament, personality, etc, then my lab Sammie. Smartest dog I've ever owned, a cuddle muffin at night, and lets everyone in the house know that she doesn't play 2nd fiddle to a 110 lb lab (2-3 times her size). When we day hike, she's a champ, although I definitely have to keep a lead on her, otherwise she'll go after anything that moves, including leaves blowing in the wind. A great dog for the experienced owner willing to take the time to work with them, not a good dog for a newbie or someone who has problems letting the dog know whose boss.

Wilson
10-27-2008, 22:02
I have four rescues; two Labs, a miniature Dachshund and a Fiest. The fiest is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. The only one I would take on an extended hike would be the fiest. Absolutely fearless, small, about 15 pounds and as agile as Reggie Bush. Can leap from a standing stop over a 36 inch fence. Hates the water and cats. Also known as a rat terrier, hunter/killer of mice on our walks. Lives outside all year long but makes a great lap dog when asked. Perfect hiking companion.
Fiest are super little dogs, we have a 6 mo. old thats gonna make a real squirrel dog...but she's too much of a hunter to take hiking. It would be a headache keeping her leashed all the time.

Rouen
10-28-2008, 20:14
actually its pretty easy to keep them focused when you're moving, I have a picture in my WB gallery of Sam from our last hike when she found a toad that had been hopping along. after I snapped the picture I called her attention back to me and that was all it took. she was a dog with a huge prey drive and alot of tenacity, so it wasn't that she didn't want the toad. with training and a good sense of humor you can make a great hiking dog out of a terror. although terrier mixes are usually easier and most have alot of the terrier energy without the 'tude.

leeki pole
10-30-2008, 18:00
actually its pretty easy to keep them focused when you're moving, I have a picture in my WB gallery of Sam from our last hike when she found a toad that had been hopping along. after I snapped the picture I called her attention back to me and that was all it took. she was a dog with a huge prey drive and alot of tenacity, so it wasn't that she didn't want the toad. with training and a good sense of humor you can make a great hiking dog out of a terror. although terrier mixes are usually easier and most have alot of the terrier energy without the 'tude.
Ha...the terrier 'tude.....well said. Might get a trademark and t-shirts on that one.:)

Erin
10-30-2008, 22:57
I had a pit mix bull terrier. She died last year of old age. She was a great hike buddy for day hikes and camping. Just got in the tent at the foot of my bag and slept. But I kept her on a leash at all times when I hiked. She was great with people and kids, but could be aggresive with other dogs. She would not start a fight, but if another dog did, she filpped him like an egg. Incredible. She was tireless, but slept all night like a stone.

nufsaid
11-07-2008, 11:18
I had a Jack Russell that loved to hike, camp and get out on the water in our canoe and kayaks. She was a great companion. She would stay right with me without a leash until she saw an animal to chase. They are a fearless breed and and that can be their downfall. You really need to keep them on a leash for their own protection. Edie lived to be just short of 17 years. And in those years I don't think she ever saw another animal that she felt was bigger than she was. And she was only 15 lbs.

Jeepocachers
11-07-2008, 14:53
I'm in there with the JRT owners. Absolutely wonderful hiking companion until she sees an animal. I would hate for her to see a bear one day. She is so full of energy, and so excited to be exploring with me that it is hard to keep her under control, but when it is time to hit the tent at night...what a little snuggle bunny, and she fits in my sleeping bag perfectly. I have a 4 lb mini Rat Terrier also, and he is not a hiking dog at all. His feet are too small and fragile for hiking. I usually end up carrying him most of the time when he goes. Unless the trail is flat with no rocks, and the weather is perfect, he won't have any part of it.

Wilson
11-07-2008, 15:28
You asked about downfalls.....Coyote packs are the biggest hazard to smallish to med size dogs that venture off on their own. (way more than bears)
Some areas in the east are thick with them and their range expands every year.