PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Hardrocks

Elger
06-06-2008, 11:26
Back in the beginning of the year there was a thread started by Brit concerning the fact that Montrail had been bought by Columbia (which is true) and that the Montrail Hardrock, which had been well received by the members of this forum, had suffered badly under Columbia. That being the case, has anyone who was a Hardrock fan found a shoe that is the next closest thing?

I need a shoe with lots of stability, but also good cushioning, if anyone would like to recommend something, but I am really interested in knowing if a Hardrock clone has been found.

Elger

Mags
06-06-2008, 11:54
They revamped the shoes for 2008. Check out this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34403&highlight=hardrock+2008

I just ordered some from Runner's Warehouse for $80 with free 2 day shipping! If you factor in the shipping, it is ~$30 less than other places online!

(My old style hardrocks are on the their last hike this weekend. I was hoping they'd last until the mid-end of July. Doh! :o)

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-MNHRK8M.html

(Thanks to Wilconow for the link)

wilconow
06-06-2008, 12:00
also with runners warehouse, they have a completely easy refund method.. pre-paid UPS shipping label. If the shoes don't feel right, all you have to do is re-tape the box, affix the label, and drop it off at a UPS place. I believe Zappos does the same thing.

Blissful
06-06-2008, 14:06
I bought some off of Steep and Cheap for my guys at $35. Hope they weren't the Columbia knock-offs. They look solid anyway.

Another plug for Runners Warehouse. I get my trail runenrs and running shoes from them.

ZZXF
06-10-2008, 00:59
I saw a lot of Hardrocks on Steep & Cheap recently, and they all appeared to me to be the old version. There seem to be some subtle design changes that make them distinguishable. I wonder if Backcountry.com was intentionally trying to get rid of the old version to make way for the new. At any rate, I obviously don't know what you got, so sorry to worry you possibly for nothing.

Elger
06-26-2008, 19:02
Great input. Thanks.

While I was researching the Hardrocks, I began to like what I saw about the Montrail Vitesse. Anyone used these?

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 22:09
I've been fitting thru-hikers with Hardrocks all week and they've loved them. It's by far the number one boot on the Trail, and there's nothing wrong with 'em.

Creaky
06-26-2008, 22:58
I used Vitesses for the Tour du Mont Blanc in 2006. They were fine. I preferred a medium-weight sock in them as opposed to a light liner or running anklet. They have a built-in "sock" that takes a little getting used to (slows down putting the shoes on is all). I got a pair of Hardrocks to replace them because the Vitesses became hard to find. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair of either...unless the rumors about Columbia ruining the whole line are true.

greentick
06-27-2008, 01:22
also with runners warehouse, they have a completely easy refund method.. pre-paid UPS shipping label. If the shoes don't feel right, all you have to do is re-tape the box, affix the label, and drop it off at a UPS place. I believe Zappos does the same thing.

Not Hardrocks or even Montrail but New Balance has a similiar return deal with printable shipping labels and rapid shipping. I just got some 908s in 4E when they were on sale with free shipping recently. I was going to try the hardrocks but figured I'd give em some time to work out the bugs. Maybe next time...

Mags
06-27-2008, 09:49
My sock of choice for use with Hardrocks is Rebel Ingenious quarter socks.

I love these socks. They wear like iron, dry quickly and I have NEVER rec'd a blister. Two pairs lasted me from Helena, MT to Grants, NM on the CDT.

My favorite socks by far. My buddy Disco is now addicted to them, too.

http://www.fitnesstravelgear.com/archive/wigwamwintersocks.html

Mags
06-27-2008, 09:54
unless the rumors about Columbia ruining the whole line are true.

They redesigned them for 2008. I have a pair of the first Columbia ones on my feet right now (cheap deal locally at less than $50!) AND a 2008 pair in reserve (ordered them when my pre-Columbia Hardrocks wore out).

I honestly have not had bad luck with the Columbia 2006-07 versions (wore a pair previously), other people have. I tend to go through ~3 prs a yr when not thru-hiking so I expect to switch to the 2008 hardrocks by the end of the summer/start of Fall. I suspect the 2008 hardrocks will be the ones I wear on the (planned) Cohos trail hike in Sept. I'll be sure to give a report.

I am now on my 4th (or is it 5th? I am losing track! :o) pair of hard rocks and it is my shoe of choice.

wilconow
06-27-2008, 09:56
My sock of choice for use with Hardrocks is Rebel Ingenious quarter socks.

I love these socks. They wear like iron, dry quickly and I have NEVER rec'd a blister. Two pairs lasted me from Helena, MT to Grants, NM on the CDT.

My favorite socks by far. My buddy Disco is now addicted to them, too.

http://www.fitnesstravelgear.com/archive/wigwamwintersocks.html

Thanks for the rec. FYI it's Rebel Ingenius.. (no "o")

I like the Wrightsock but had a couple develop holes mid-trip, that's no good. They didn't last more than 150 miles or so

I'm going to try these out, thanks

Mags
06-27-2008, 10:03
Thanks for the rec. FYI it's Rebel Ingenius.. (no "o")

Well, at least at the link, I am not the only one making this error. Damn marketing people with their funky spellings! ;)

I like the Wrightsock but had a couple develop holes mid-trip, that's no good. They didn't last more than 150 miles or so

I found these socks to be crap. As you found out, they wear out quickly.