PDA

View Full Version : fleece now or fleece later?

dragonfeet
06-06-2008, 17:51
I am planning a july 1 start and I was wondering about my clothing. I am taking a: short sleeve underarmor
Convertable pants
insulated top and bottom (Polyprophilene)
Marmot Precip jacket
Rei Taku rain pants
25 degree bag
I will be tenting
I was thinking of throwing a fleece layer (adding about 2lbs) just in case but I was wondering if it will be necessary for July in Maine? I could always have it shipped later.

mudhead
06-06-2008, 19:23
Insulated top? Base layer or insulated top?

2lb fleece is heavy. You are from TX, so the weather will seem cold. I see tourists here from the Southwest wear puffy jackets in July. But they don't have a bag to hide in.

I drag a beater fleece around. The heavy fleece jacket is for town.

Johnny Swank
06-06-2008, 19:32
Go for something lighter, but carry something. I started July 1 with a short sleeve shirt, 100 weight fleece top, and lightweight capeline and had my fleece jacket sent up as soon as I got to Monson. It's chilly up there!

Left NC and it was about 100. Hit 40-45 degrees several times in Maine at night.

Appalachian Tater
06-06-2008, 20:08
Definitely you need some kind of insulating layer at all times. You can get some wacky weather up at high altitudes.

2 lbs is heavy though, here is a current thread on the topic, and there are old ones, too:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37782

dragonfeet
06-06-2008, 20:46
Sorry, I am not carrying a 2lb fleece, my fleece top is 1lb and the fleece bottom is 1lb2oz. It sounds like I better take the fleece layer just in case. Good point about me being in texas, if it gets into the 40's it feels like freezing to me. Thanks for the advice

Appalachian Tater
06-06-2008, 21:44
Sorry, I am not carrying a 2lb fleece, my fleece top is 1lb and the fleece bottom is 1lb2oz. It sounds like I better take the fleece layer just in case. Good point about me being in texas, if it gets into the 40's it feels like freezing to me. Thanks for the adviceYou probably don't need the fleece pants until later, if at all; someone will tell you, I don't spend the night out in the winter.

Red Hat
06-07-2008, 10:03
I'm not taking my fleece yet, but I do have my longjohns and a Marmot windjacket in case... Marta, do you think I should rethink and take fleece now?

Cool AT Breeze
06-07-2008, 11:54
Take a micro fleece. I just got off the trail in north VA and wore mine every night for three months.

jessyj
12-29-2010, 05:11
Ive worn a black north face fleece for the last 7+ years but these days everyone is wearing one so I need a new style.

any ideas for a basic, non-flashy fleece jacket? prefer darker colors.

reps for good advice

WILLIAM HAYES
12-29-2010, 12:40
your fleece top and pants are too heavy look at minus 33 degrees wool long sleeve zip and pants for baselayers - you can get them in liteweight or midweight works better than fleece with minimal funky smell and a much lighter weight. Have several items from minus 33 degrees and they work well at a much better price than smartwool or Ibex stuff