PDA

View Full Version : Superman David Horton at it again!

Press
06-06-2008, 20:41
http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/other/article/horton_seeking_another_record/5527/

Lone Wolf
06-06-2008, 20:45
go horty go! :banana

A-Train
06-06-2008, 20:50
How can you set a speed record on a trail without an x amount of miles on it??

A CDT thru-hike can be between 2200 and 3100 miles and thre are countless routes..

Skidsteer
06-06-2008, 20:50
58 years old.

What an animal and I mean that in a good way.

Amazing to even attempt it. Good Luck David Horton!!!

Skidsteer
06-06-2008, 20:51
How can you set a speed record on a trail without an x amount of miles on it??

A CDT thru-hike can be between 2200 and 3100 miles and thre are countless routes..

I suspect he'll follow Squeaky's route as closely as possible.

rafe
06-06-2008, 21:02
What an animal and I mean that in a good way.

he's nuckin' futz. and i mean that in a good way.

Lone Wolf
06-06-2008, 21:30
more info
http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/

fiddlehead
06-06-2008, 23:43
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what he does for some sections. I don't understand his itinerary sometimes. Especially places like Twin Lakes after his Wiminuche pass. I know of no way down that way but perhaps he just means a lake somewhere named twin lakes???

Also, i agree that there is no set route on this trail and many of us who have hiked it prefer to keep it that way. And record setting attempts like this may set (or try) to set a precedence for an "official" trail. I'd like to see the CDT stay wild and choices everyday as far as which way to go. He does seem to be taking most of the longer routes when he has the choice. I didn't really understand his route through the red desert. There are so many ways to go up there and we went thru with support, we cut the pie right thru the middle. Something that thru-hikers cannot really attempt as there is no water (read Rybeck's book about that) But I imagine Horton will have support that will carry water thru there??? Like i said, i don't know the route he is taking.

ANyway, that's my opinion but i also wish him luck and wish i was out there with him sometimes.

Mags
06-07-2008, 01:00
As I said before, it is a wonderful PERSONAL record..but what record is it breaking?

To rehash what I said before on other posts:

I think an " official speed record" is really hard to call valid on the CDT.

What comparison do you use? Squeaky's time is mentioned on the websites . Did he go through the Winds via the difficult and non-horse accessible, yet majestic, Temple Pass route or stick to the official and horse friendly road walk?
(I honestly don't know..nor care.) What if Person A went over Mt. Taylor and the other person stuck to the flatter "official" road walk?

I only bring this up because to do a true "official record" attempt, each person would have to do the EXACT same route. Something rather difficult to do on an unfinished trail that is widely accepted to be a corridor as much as a trail. Otherwise you are comparing apples to grapes to oranges to bananas.

If you plan on following the USFS designated route you are missing some astounding scenery in the Winds alone.

Plus there is the weather factor. If a freak snowstorm dumps 3 ft of snow in the San Juans and stays there (like in 2006), is your record invalid because you had to take a lower route? What if a portion of the CDT is closed due to grizzly activity in Glacier? What if there is a fire that closes a trail? What do you do for the nearly 1/3rd of the trail that is not finished? You'll have to take an alternate route in all cases. Is the record invalid?

Anyway, does not really matter what we say on these lists.

Record attempts will be made. Sponsorships will be given and press releases will trumpet it.

And perhaps .01% of the people in the country will even know about it. :D I honestly have nothing against speed hiking, I just don't think the CDT can truly have a "speed record" journey at this point that is truly valid.

The only real criteria for a successful journey on the CDT is if you enjoyed it or not. I'll leave the debate on records, what is a "Real thru-hike" and other such "Angels on the heads of a pin" type arguments to people who care about this stuff.

AS a simple outdoors person and not an athlete, I'll remember the sunrise over Temple Pass. The glacier lilies in in Montana. Vast , desolate and awe inspiring emtpy spaces of the Basin. I did not conqueror or defeated the trail. I embraced the brutality. I embraced the wildness of the CDT.

I will leave the records, discussions of V02 max, PRs and what type of goo shots to ingest, etc. to the athletes who go outdoors.

Best of luck in the "official record" attempts. I hope Horton and future athletes get out of the journey what they seek. They will get a personal record and hopefully some wonderful memories.

But for a raw, wild and unfinished trail like the CDT, a "record" means more to gear companies, magazines and sports supplement companies.

I've corresponded a bit with Horton, and though I think the idea of a "record" is silly on the CDT, I honestly hope he does what he sets out to do on his journey.

But, those who have experienced the CDT know that a record is more whatever a person proclaims it to be than what conforms to reality. I will smile when I hear of a new CDT "record": I smile because I'm amused at the thought of a "official record" on the CDT. I mainly smile, though, because it reminds me of the journey I spent on this wonderful trail. May others smile for similar reasons.

Just my .02, YMMV, whatever works for you, I really don't care,etc..etc..etc..

Mags

quasarr
06-07-2008, 10:27
Horton is targeting an Aug. 14 finish,

this is my birthday! :banana

Sly
06-07-2008, 11:53
They need to stop saying the trail is 3100 miles. I believe that would be the longest possible route along the Divide but the trail doesn't always follow the divide. I don't think it's much longer than 2800 miles, if that.

Anyway, good luck David.

TheChamp
06-09-2008, 01:41
They also need to stop saying 3000 people start the AT, 300 the PCT and 30 the CDT. Those stats are 5+ years old. The AT is much lower (2000?), the PCT is much higher (400-500) and the CDT is marginally higher (50?).

Sly
06-09-2008, 01:55
Wow, David's record breaking attempt didn't last very long. http://eco-xsports.blogspot.com/

Too bad he just doesn't thru-hike like normal, or even section hike it. I think he'd enjoy it, it's an awesome trail.

fiddlehead
06-09-2008, 03:11
Wow, that's what? on day 1 or 2?

The heat is tough. One of my ultras was in record heat and 5 of the top 10 runners quit that day.

If he's that close to the beginning, perhaps he could recuperate, and acclimate a bit and start again? Don't know if that's possible for his crew and all but he is probably at least thinking about it.

Yeah, no shade in those parts. I remember Nean and i stopping and eating lunch at a bridge and each of us using one of the aprox. 8" bridge strengtheners for the only shade we saw that day to eat our lunch in. It was a little north of there but not much.
Big straw hat and cover up with long sleeve shirt and pants. Just like those Mexican's do it

Lone Wolf
06-09-2008, 03:35
speaking of ultras here's a fun one to give a try http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2699089320714835998

jersey joe
06-09-2008, 08:07
Wow...I give Horton credit for trying.

It just goes to show how hard a speed attempt actually is. There are so many variables. Weather is a biggie!

Mags
06-09-2008, 09:19
Based on his journal, looks like a wise decision was made. Running and 108F heat do not go together well.

The trail will be there for when he is ready to again go on the CDT...

Lone Wolf
06-09-2008, 09:20
shoulda gone SOBO

bjj4287
06-09-2008, 09:25
here is a great video of his PCT run .. hes a beast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs09vhj1x4 ..

Mags
06-09-2008, 09:27
Too bad he just doesn't thru-hike like normal, or even section hike it. I think he'd enjoy it, it's an awesome trail.

Even section running it would be nice. Could do all the sections at optimal times of the year. I don't anyone has done this so it would be rather unique. Get the press, the sponsors are happy and the trail can still be enjoyed.

As for going SoBo: Assuming a 70 day pace, Starting August 1st would open up Glacier quickly. But, if an early snow comes in the San Juans (as in 2006), you are still SOL... Even at Horton's predicted pace, getting to the San Juans would be interesting. Maybe July 15th..but the snow level this year is through the roof in Montana as well.

Interesting trail.

Marta
06-09-2008, 09:50
I'm leaving for Glacier tonight. Recess and Skittles are starting SOBO at the end of this week. I'm planning to hike with them for the first week. The snow situation is more than a bit sketchy in Piegan Pass. We'll see what we can do.

Mags
06-09-2008, 10:16
Best of luck on the trail. Skittles is a good guy and I think you'll have a blast hiking with him.