PDA

View Full Version : Christian Brotherhood Hike!

Summit
06-07-2008, 18:15
It was suggested in the "Best Bible for Backpacking" thread by "sheepdog" that it would be cool for a believer's hike to take place, where we could edify one another and in addition to completing a great hike, glorify God through some campsite spiritual fellowship.

I have planned a hike from Sam's Gap to 19E from Oct. 11th to the 18th. It's about 70 miles, thus a modest 10 mile per day pace over seven days. It's a full moon week! I plan to arrive at Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast (866) 772-9494 on the 10th and use their shuttle to Sam's Gap. The hiker's cabin there cost $15 and a hardy breakfast the morning of the start of the hike is $7. Splitting the shuttle x-ways should be cheap, and this place is just 1/4 mile off the AT at 19E, where we will finish. There is a $2/day fee for leaving your car in a very protected environment at Mountain Harbour B&B.

If interested, please PM me (and respond here).

I will be happy to serve as organizer for this trek.

Qualifications to participate: While it is certain that many who commit to this fellowship hike will be what is considered to be strong Christians, we welcome anyone who feels the Holy Spirit's "tug" to join the group. The theme of this hike is:

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17 ESV

If you are not sure about your faith but are earnestly seeking answers, please consider joining this trek!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-07-2008, 18:49
If He-Dino wanted to meet up with you and hike a ways, would that be OK? We have doctor appointments and two great-grandkid birthday parties this week.

sheepdog
06-07-2008, 19:11
I will try to make it. I need to juggle my schedule a bit.

Summit
06-07-2008, 19:20
If He-Dino wanted to meet up with you and hike a ways, would that be OK? We have doctor appointments and two great-grandkid birthday parties this week.If He-Dino can join us (and by "us" at this point is myself and sheepdog, until this develops further), that would be great, even if only a portion of the trek. Let me know and we will fine tune the details as the date approaches. ;)

Blissful
06-07-2008, 20:49
I'd love to do a sisterhood hike... :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-07-2008, 21:26
I'd love to do a sisterhood hike... :)Maybe an announcement or planning thread in the female forum would be the way. Sorry to interrupt you guys thread.

Summit
06-07-2008, 22:06
I'd love to do a sisterhood hike... :)I'm all for it! See ccmment on FD's post.

Summit
06-07-2008, 22:24
Maybe an announcement or planning thread in the female forum would be the way. Sorry to interrupt you guys thread.I'm all for wide dissemination of this idea. Let me know how this can best be accomplished.

The end result would be guys and gals of wholehearted faith in Jesus Christ spending time together at the end of each trail day in joyful worship and expounding upon knowledge of the Holy One! If these words seem strange to anyone, I would implore you to engage in this trek, as it may be a defining moment in your life! ;)

Jaybird62
06-07-2008, 22:30
I think that your idea is fantastic!!! I wish I was closer and could participate. It would not work out for me right now, but in the future I would love to meet you guys, and explore God's beautiful creation with fellow brothers and/or sisters. Even though I won't physically be there, you guys will be in my prayers and thoughts. Have a fantastic hike!!!

Summit
06-07-2008, 22:51
I think that your idea is fantastic!!! I wish I was closer and could participate. It would not work out for me right now, but in the future I would love to meet you guys, and explore God's beautiful creation with fellow brothers and/or sisters. Even though I won't physically be there, you guys will be in my prayers and thoughts. Have a fantastic hike!!!Maybe God will make a way, when there seems to be no way . . . but your prayers will no doubt bring joy to our group experience! ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-07-2008, 22:54
A suggestion: you know how we have Rucks in various places - maybe you fellows could have Brotherhood hikes in several locales so more people could participate.

Summit
06-07-2008, 23:10
A suggestion: you know how we have Rucks in various places - maybe you fellows could have Brotherhood hikes in several locales so more people could participate.Who knows? Maybe this is the beginning of just such a thing! :)

Red Hat
06-08-2008, 20:46
Isn't that the same weekend as the ALDHA Gathering? I was going to try to get a ride to the Gathering if I'm anywhere near. I don't think I'll be far enough south to do the Brother/Sisterhood thing, but wish you all well.

Captain
06-09-2008, 06:30
Isn't that the same weekend as the ALDHA Gathering? I was going to try to get a ride to the Gathering if I'm anywhere near. I don't think I'll be far enough south to do the Brother/Sisterhood thing, but wish you all well.

seems like it'd be cheapest and shortest ride if was able to get a ride from pearisburg VA Google says 48 miles, about one hour drive

bloodmountainman
06-09-2008, 08:06
Great idea!!! Wish I could make this one. If this turns successful, let's keep this going!:sun

Summit
06-09-2008, 13:18
Isn't that the same weekend as the ALDHA Gathering? I was going to try to get a ride to the Gathering if I'm anywhere near. I don't think I'll be far enough south to do the Brother/Sisterhood thing, but wish you all well.Will keep that in mind and can slip it a week if the interest and majority so desire. The reason I chose the 11th thru 18th is it's a full moon week. I've kinda gotten used to picking full moon weeks for week-long hikes as it makes the nights very pleasant. But dark starry nights are nice too! ;)

So why don't we start a "Count me in" list? Don't worry if you have to pull out for life/scheduling reasons. Adding your name is for planning and interest level assesment. The WB Trail Police will not come banging on your door if you don't show up! :D To add your name to the list, copy and paste in your post the following, adding your name to it:

COUNT ME IN - Sister/Brotherhood Fellowship Hike:
Summit

Thoughtful Owl
06-09-2008, 21:23
I would be interested. What a way to celebrate a birthday (18th) than hitting the trail with others of like mind and faith. I will have to work out some details with my schedule, but am definately interested.

TO

NerdyJohn
06-09-2008, 22:03
I think this a great idea. I love the idea of hiking during the full moon.

But on a selfish note, let me say that I would love to meet some of you guys just for a one nighter. After 30+ years of car camping I'm pretty new to this backpacking thing... But, I do want to get out on the trail with my 12 year old daughter and I think this would be a good environment for us both to see how it's really done on the AT.

Kinda the opposite of Trail Days I guess.

We live in Birmingham (AL), but go somewhere between Virginia and North GA. almost every month of the year. So name the place and we can probably make it.

We're usually Tourist Trash when we go, but I'm trying to change that.

Bear Cables
06-13-2008, 16:20
I'd love to do a sisterhood hike... :)

What a great idea. I would be interested in that as well but may have to wait for something like this for after next school year when I retire.:sun

Trillium
06-13-2008, 16:43
FANTASTIC idea! Glad to see that the hike now includes Christian women as well as Christian men. I will try to see if I can arrange my schedule to join you. If not, I will join my prayers for success for all who do go.

JDCool1
06-13-2008, 17:12
I just scroiled up and down this thread and in my blindness failed to see a date and place for a group hike. Please list it again. Thanks.

Summit
06-13-2008, 17:18
I just scroiled up and down this thread and in my blindness failed to see a date and place for a group hike. Please list it again. Thanks.Oct. 11th to the 18th (from 1st post, 2nd par). I went back and made it bold because others might have the same difficulty spotting it. Hope that's a good date for you!

HikerRanky
06-13-2008, 17:20
Summit
HikerRanky

sheepdog
06-13-2008, 19:20
I'm in,
sheepdog

Summit
06-13-2008, 19:32
Great sheepdog and HikerRanky! That's about 5 so far who've indicated a strong desire to join the group/hike!

Summit
06-14-2008, 13:31
Here are some more details about this proposed hike:

Sam's Gap to 19E - 69.2 miles (pg 27-31 in Appalachian Pages)

Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast (866) 772-9494

http://www.mountainharbour.net/hikerscabin.htm

See directions on website
Hiker cabin - $15/night
Cabin is behind barn, 1/3 mile off AT
Park in Horse Arena
Breakfast @ 7:30 - $7
Car parking - $2/day (safe, private property)
Total - approx. $36 for one night's stay, 1 week's parking, and a scrumptious breakfast day 1!
Shuttles - $75 to Sam's Gap (more or less depending on size of group, and of course split "x" ways)

My thoughts / itinerary:

I plan to drive to Mountain Harbour B&B after work on Friday the 10th of October, arriving between 8-9 pm, stay the night in the "Hiker's cabin," partake of what I hear is an outstanding $7 breakfast at 7:30 a.m., and then hop on the shuttle to Sam's Gap. I would think we would arrive at Sam's Gap between 9:30-10:30 a.m. for those who prefer meeting up with the group there.

Assuming we start out before noon on the 11th at Sam's Gap on the AT, the flexible itenary is to do 9-12 miles a day (10 average), finishing fairly early on Saturday the 18th. The daylight time is getting short in Oct so this daily mileage will accommodate a variety of paces and allow time in camp before it gets dark, for relaxation and fellowship.

Resupply: Erwin / Nolichucky Gorge Campground (hiker hostel) and Nolichucky Expeditions - we should arrive here on day 3 so you may chose to start with 3 days of food and pick up or mail drop 4 days worth here. I'm strongly leaning toward just starting with the full 7 days worth of food needed for the entire hike.

While we could save money by doing our own shuttle, I hear that Sam's Gap is not a very safe place to park, so because of that, and because it would be cool to bring closure of the hike at Mountain Harbour with all of us hopping in our vehicles and departing, I lean strongly toward taking advantage of their shuttle.

Attached is a MSWord doc of the trail data. The yellow highlights are tentative campsites for each day. More to come later! Blessings!

riverroyer
06-14-2008, 15:18
Summit
Where exactly is Sams Gap. I think I would like to join this hike, as much for the hike as for the Christian Fellowship

Summit
06-14-2008, 16:29
Summit
Where exactly is Sams Gap. I think I would like to join this hike, as much for the hike as for the Christian FellowshipIf you go to Google Maps and search "Erwin, TN" and then search "sams gap, TN" and you will find it. It is at junction of US23 and I-26, SW of Erwin, TN. For some reason, if you aren't close to it, when you search "sams gap" you get a gap in SMNP. So, anyway, it's very accessible - Right off I-26.

Summit
06-14-2008, 20:28
Just got a PM inquiring if this was a "guys only" thing. Absolutely not! Ladies of faith are welcome! Got a couple in the "I'm interested" category as I type.

For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 ESVI'm attaching the Appalachian Pages profiles that cover this section, so that those considering can assess the difficulty. If you like, you can print and cut the pages just like from the book.

Cherokee Bill
06-16-2008, 18:34
Will keep that in mind and can slip it a week if the interest and majority so desire. The reason I chose the 11th thru 18th is it's a full moon week. I've kinda gotten used to picking full moon weeks for week-long hikes as it makes the nights very pleasant. But dark starry nights are nice too! ;)

So why don't we start a "Count me in" list? Don't worry if you have to pull out for life/scheduling reasons. Adding your name is for planning and interest level assesment. The WB Trail Police will not coming banging on your door if you don't show up! :D To add your name to the list, copy and paste in your post the following, adding your name to it:

Summit

:-? Now that you promise the "WB Police" will not show up if it turns out I can not get off to go COUNT ME IN - Brotherhood Fellowship Hike: Billyboy

Cherokee Bill
06-16-2008, 19:00
My second post on this same subject :D I feel something stirring in the old-heart! I can see this thing growing into something we can not yet imagine! :sun

Christian friends to hike with, grow in the Lord with and a support group when the need arises.

Man, I can not wait :banana

sheepdog
06-16-2008, 19:02
My second post on this same subject :D I feel something stirring in the old-heart! I can see this thing growing into something we can not yet imagine! :sun

Christian friends to hike with, grow in the Lord with and a support group when the need arises.

Man, I can not wait :banana
Amen brother Amen

Summit
06-16-2008, 21:07
Between PMs and the forum "commits" here, we are in the 8-10 range already, with months to go! :) Stay committed . . . don't worry about too large a group. If Jesus can feed 5000 with a small boy's left-overs, He can work out the logistics of whatever size this group turns out to be!

Wouldn't it be awesome to place the shuttle call to Mountain Harbour B&B and tell them they need to provide a couple of large buses to handle our group? Or how wonderful would it be to field questions from other hikers we meet? "What's with this large group?" "We are just a bunch of like-minded backpackers who love the Lord Jesus and like to glorify Him through our fellowship!" :D :clap

The Weasel
06-16-2008, 21:24
As a Christian, and a hiker, while it may seem awesome to have a multitude, please keep in mind that it may not be a good witness to have such a large group, even at a late time of year, that other hikers who are not part of this hike feel overwhelmed by your presence on the trail. Groups much beyond a baker's dozen - I am sure you know the reason I pick that number - will be larger than shelters can handle, and frequently larger than even the tenting areas near a shelter can handle adeqquately. Your groups will, I'm sure, have fellowship times in camp, as well, but if done in shelter areas, that can make others who are not part of your group feel forced from an area they may feel an equal right to enjoy perhaps in a more solitary fashion. (These are factors that cause many to have problems with large groups of Scouts; as a Scoutmaster, I am well aware of this.)

I hope you'll consider limiting the size of your hike's group (or groups). It would be a wondrous thing for those who encounter you to say to you, 'kind and thoughtful people, these Christians,' rather than to feel - and not say - 'how rude and overwhelming those Bible-pushers are.' It is good, the Carpenter said, to be the least, rather than the greatest; this may be such a time.

I do not say these things to debate; if you differ, I will not criticise you: I will not be there - it is too far, I regret - but I hope you take this advice as part of 'straight forward'.

The Weasel

Summit
06-16-2008, 22:27
Hi Weasel,

I couldn't agree more with your thoughtful insight. I have already suggested in a PM that if warranted, we might want to divide up into smaller groups. It is also my desire that the impression we leave on those we encounter and perhaps camp near would be 'kind and thoughtful people, these Christians.'

sheepdog
06-17-2008, 08:29
As a Christian, and a hiker, while it may seem awesome to have a multitude, please keep in mind that it may not be a good witness to have such a large group, even at a late time of year, that other hikers who are not part of this hike feel overwhelmed by your presence on the trail. Groups much beyond a baker's dozen - I am sure you know the reason I pick that number - will be larger than shelters can handle, and frequently larger than even the tenting areas near a shelter can handle adeqquately. Your groups will, I'm sure, have fellowship times in camp, as well, but if done in shelter areas, that can make others who are not part of your group feel forced from an area they may feel an equal right to enjoy perhaps in a more solitary fashion. (These are factors that cause many to have problems with large groups of Scouts; as a Scoutmaster, I am well aware of this.)

I hope you'll consider limiting the size of your hike's group (or groups). It would be a wondrous thing for those who encounter you to say to you, 'kind and thoughtful people, these Christians,' rather than to feel - and not say - 'how rude and overwhelming those Bible-pushers are.' It is good, the Carpenter said, to be the least, rather than the greatest; this may be such a time.

I do not say these things to debate; if you differ, I will not criticise you: I will not be there - it is too far, I regret - but I hope you take this advice as part of 'straight forward'.

The Weasel
Well said

Trillium
06-17-2008, 09:05
one thing to keep in mind is that the actual number who put foot to trail will be much smaller than the number who indicate interest.

the Henhike had upwards of 30 people who indicated interest but only 5 started out from Springer.

I don't think you will have to worry about having too large of a group. besides those who are interested likely would be very considerate of others.

Christus Cowboy
06-17-2008, 12:20
Unfortunately, I'll be in Lynchburg Virginia at a Wildfire Men's Conference on those days but I think this is a great idea and would like to participate in future events if possible. Being out in the backwoods is a great opportunity to draw closer to God and fellow believers. Summit....you can add me to any list you are getting together for this group.....

DesertMTB
06-17-2008, 12:22
I would like to go Summit.

This is a dumb and lazy question, but what state is this section located in?

DesertMTB
06-17-2008, 12:28
Never mind. I know where it is. Count me in. It's a perfect location for me because that is about where my next section will be

Summit
06-17-2008, 15:57
Never mind. I know where it is. Count me in. It's a perfect location for me because that is about where my next section will beGreat! Looks like we'll finally get to meet as we just missed one another last fall!

Summit
06-17-2008, 16:15
So here’s who’s “in” so far. I counted everyone who said they are at least trying to work it into their schedule. Don’t worry if it turns out you can’t do it:

HikerRanky
DesertMTB
Sheepdog
Billyboy
riverroyer (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=16121)
Thoughtful Owl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=14703)
Trillium (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=9404)
Hoop rat (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=15377)
geckobunny (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=1544)
mercy
Cabin Fever (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12427)
Christus Cowboy
Summit

Cherokee Bill
06-17-2008, 17:39
Unfortunately, I'll be in Lynchburg Virginia at a Wildfire Men's Conference on those days but I think this is a great idea and would like to participate in future events if possible. Being out in the backwoods is a great opportunity to draw closer to God and fellow believers. Summit....you can add me to any list you are getting together for this group.....

:welcomeCowboy, You'll be in my hometown and at my church for the Wildfire Conference. If I can not go on the backpacking trip I'll look for you at church that weekend :D

God Bless!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2008, 18:37
Has this hike opened up to woman as well? If so, we Dinos might try to meet you along the trail one or two evenings. My ability to hike is very limited - only about 5 to 7 miles a day and it takes me all day to do it with a pack.

Summit
06-17-2008, 20:12
Has this hike opened up to woman as well?Never intended it not to! I can see where the title "brotherhood" could give that impression, but in my mind when I used it (just like the scriptures speak of "man" while meaning all of mankind, i.e. men and women) I had both sexes in view. If someone can change the title of the thread to "Sisterhood / Brotherhood . . ." that would be great! We've got two other lady WB'ers on the group list: mercy and geckobunny.

And it would be my joy (and if I may speak for the group) to have the dinos join us in whatever capacity works for you! ;)

sheepdog
06-17-2008, 21:14
Has this hike opened up to woman as well? If so, we Dinos might try to meet you along the trail one or two evenings. My ability to hike is very limited - only about 5 to 7 miles a day and it takes me all day to do it with a pack.
Hope to see you dinos:)

greentick
06-17-2008, 22:50
Great idea. I will be up north visiting family but maybe next time.

Christus Cowboy
06-18-2008, 08:04
BillyBoy,

I'd love to meet you.... My parents live in Lynchburg and go to Thomas Road. If you will be in town lets exchange contact info and meet....

Summit
06-19-2008, 06:47
'Tis a full moon last night and tonight! You know what that means? The Sisterhood / Brotherhood hike is just four full moons away! ;)

Bear Cables
06-20-2008, 10:32
I am happy to see so many planning to participate in this hike. Hopefully it will be a hike to do annually and then I can participate next fall??

JAK
06-20-2008, 10:42
Blossom what becomes of me

Are you this song I must leave undone?
Birds every morning sing, with others there to fill their words.
Tides come repeatedly, with waves large and small, like memories.
Trees each year taller grow, spreading their blossoms with each Spring.

Blossom..
what becomes of me?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/JAK_45/Easter2008/Easter2008_09.jpg

Chenango
06-23-2008, 17:04
Sounds great, but I cannot swing a week from work this year. Perhaps next year. I will keep you all in prayer ... week of Oct 11-18th. I got it on my calendar so I will not forget about you folks.

Blissful
06-23-2008, 20:00
I will likely be with a fellow thru hiker from last year - Signage around that time doing McAfee Knob circuit here in VA, so I won't be able to join in. But hope you all have fun and maybe we ladies can get together and do a sisterhood type hike next year. :) God be with you all.

Christus Cowboy
06-27-2008, 08:26
I'm sorry if I'm out of line or going "off thread" here but I was reading in Isaiah this morning and thought I would share it on the only thread that I know where my fellow Christians were known to be. That said if my transgression violates the conventions of this thread or the greater Whiteblaze community then please accept my apologies in advance.

I often wonder why I long to be out in the wilderness and backcountry for extended periods of time. I mean as a man, I love my wife and children and would miss them terribly if I was to remove myself from their company for a long time.....So why would I desire to engage in an activity that would result in loneliness in my life? A good question that I’m not sure I have a good answer for. I do think that part of it is the serenity that God brings to the soul of a man through the wilderness experience. I was reading in Isaiah 55:12-13 this morning where God tells us that He will allow the mountains and hills to break forth with shouts of joy and the trees of the field will clap their hands. I honestly believe that God sends us special "postcards" when we are out in the remote areas of His creation and we can experience Him in ways the normal societal environment will not allow. I remember climbing to the summit of Cloud Peak in the Big Horn Mountain range and looking at the vast mountain ranges and saying to myself that surely the finger of God has carved out these majestic mountains. So did the mountains shout for joy that day on Cloud Peak as the prophet Isaiah said? In many ways I’d say so... While my human relationships play a critical role in who I am, of the belief that my wilderness experiences help me view God in a way that brings serenity in my life and helps make my human relationships more meaningful. Even though the downfall mankind messed up a whole lot of things in this world, God was very generous in what He chose to leave for us to experience.

The Weasel
06-27-2008, 09:39
Those are fine thoughts, CC, but this is a 'straight forward' forum, and really shouldn't be here. But perhaps you or others here might suggest to Troll or Rock that there be a hiking forum here (a subforum, really) on WhiteBlaze for Christian Hiking topics. I see no reason why not, as long as it was made clear, of course, that many people who are not Christians are a critical part of WB.

TW

Christus Cowboy
06-27-2008, 10:08
Hey Weasel.... please accept my sincerest apologies. I'm a relatively new participant to WB and will exercise the appropriate restraint in the future..... Thank you for your response..... If Summit wishes to start such a forum than I would be glad to participate in such dialogue.

The Weasel
06-27-2008, 11:16
Hey Weasel.... please accept my sincerest apologies. I'm a relatively new participant to WB and will exercise the appropriate restraint in the future..... Thank you for your response..... If Summit wishes to start such a forum than I would be glad to participate in such dialogue.

There's no need to apologize, CC; you didn't do anything most of us haven't done. But "straight forward" tends to go off thread too, but shouldn't. I'm not a moderator, but was just observing. Doesn't have to be Summit who makes the suggestion; anyone can, and they don't end up responsible for supervising the thread, either. It just gets set up, and maybe there is a moderator and maybe not. So if you like the idea, go ahead, or Summit can, or no one, or....whatever.

TW

Fcfranger04
06-27-2008, 11:39
Hey everybody,
Just joined WB (came over from Hiking HQ), I have been reading some of the forums over the past week and to be honest I wasn't to impressed abouit some of the things I was seeing, until I saw this one. I am an avid hiker love camping, fishing, hunting. pretty much anything outdoors. I am a born again follower of the Lord Jesus Christ and have been blessed to be put into a ministry that involves working with the youth and the great outdoors. I'm a District Commander for the Royal Rangers ( if you never heard of them we are a Christ centered Scouting group) Anyhow I have typed to much but just wanted to say thanks!! I take them on a lot of day hikes and next year we are planning on a AT hike so I will be asking for advice:-) I will be praying for your brotherhood/sisterhood hike wish I could be there with you
God Bless!!

Mercy
06-27-2008, 11:44
:welcometo WB!

Mercy

Summit
06-27-2008, 15:25
Hey everybody . . . (snip) God Bless!!Hey, welcome to WB. Glad to hear you are engaged in such a powerful witness to kids. The world could really use a lot more of that. ;)

Fcfranger04
06-27-2008, 21:06
Hey, welcome to WB. Glad to hear you are engaged in such a powerful witness to kids. The world could really use a lot more of that. ;)

Thank you very much sir.

Blissful
06-27-2008, 21:34
Hey everybody,
Just joined WB (came over from Hiking HQ), I have been reading some of the forums over the past week and to be honest I wasn't to impressed abouit some of the things I was seeing, until I saw this one. I am an avid hiker love camping, fishing, hunting. pretty much anything outdoors. I am a born again follower of the Lord Jesus Christ and have been blessed to be put into a ministry that involves working with the youth and the great outdoors. I'm a District Commander for the Royal Rangers ( if you never heard of them we are a Christ centered Scouting group) Anyhow I have typed to much but just wanted to say thanks!! I take them on a lot of day hikes and next year we are planning on a AT hike so I will be asking for advice:-) I will be praying for your brotherhood/sisterhood hike wish I could be there with you
God Bless!!

Welcome to WB, glad you're here.

Blissful
06-27-2008, 21:37
Those are fine thoughts, CC, but this is a 'straight forward' forum, and really shouldn't be here. But perhaps you or others here might suggest to Troll or Rock that there be a hiking forum here (a subforum, really) on WhiteBlaze for Christian Hiking topics. I see no reason why not, as long as it was made clear, of course, that many people who are not Christians are a critical part of WB.

TW

This is a great idea. :)

Summit
06-28-2008, 09:39
This is a great idea. :)I have put forth the proposition to Attrol, and copied weasel and blissful. Thanks for the idea weasel! ;)

brotheral
06-28-2008, 10:41
I have put forth the proposition to Attrol, and copied weasel and blissful. Thanks for the idea weasel! ;)
I think this is a terrific idea.... Hope & Pray it happens :welcome
He leads me beside still waters.....BrotherAL

Christus Cowboy
06-28-2008, 12:30
It looks like I won't be able to make this hike as I will probably be at the Wildfire Outdoor Men's conference in Lynchburg, VA if anything changes I'll let everyone know. Weasel a big thanks for submitting this idea... I'm sorry I didn't jump on it but I'm still trying to find my way on WB and didn't want to appear too presumptuous. Summit.... kudos to you for submitting the request, now for some prayer investment on my part and lets see if this happens. I would definitely be interested in such future endeavors in the eastern part of the country with gas prices being what they are and with upcoming college expenses.... trips in this area would be more feasible for me.

Summit
06-29-2008, 16:56
I think this is a terrific idea.... Hope & Pray it happens :welcome
He leads me beside still waters.....BrotherALAfter a few PM exchanges with attrol, I don't think it's going to happen. Like the 'Straightforward' forum, it would require frequent monitoring/policing, and he says he can't get enough moderator help as it is, so is not able to properly moderate the large number of forums already in existence, let alone add any more, especially a high maintenance one like this would be. While not the answer I was hoping for, I can certainly understand his reasons. :(

Cherokee Bill
06-29-2008, 17:10
After a few PM exchanges with attrol, I don't think it's going to happen. Like the 'Straightforward' forum, it would require frequent monitoring/policing, and he says he can't get enough moderator help as it is, so is not able to properly moderate the large number of forums already in existence, let alone add any more, especially a high maintenance one like this would be. While not the answer I was hoping for, I can certainly understand his reasons. :(

:sun I do understand how busy the moderators must be and we ALL thank them for their dedication and sacrifice of personal time.
:-? That said, modern-day Political Correctness, is what it is called. Use the word "Christian" and it's "Taboo" :(:(

How much of a time commitment is required, if one were to volunteer as a moderator? One of them is welcome to e-mail me the info & maybe I could help out!

4eyedbuzzard
06-29-2008, 19:44
... Use the word "Christian" and it's "Taboo" :(:(

I doubt it's a matter of Christians being victimized by some PC conspiracy. You must consider what would happen if members were to then request a Muslim forum, and a Jewish forum, and a LDS forum, and a Buddhist forum, etc. We'd then of course also require an atheist/agnostic forum as well. I think it would get out of hand pretty quickly if one were to take the position that every religious persuasion requires and is rightfully entitled to its own dedicated forum.

Summit
06-29-2008, 20:07
I doubt it's a matter of Christians being victimized by some PC conspiracy. You must consider what would happen if members were to then request a Muslim forum, and a Jewish forum, and a LDS forum, and a Buddhist forum, etc. We'd then of course also require an atheist/agnostic forum as well. I think it would get out of hand pretty quickly if one were to take the position that every religious persuasion requires and is rightfully entitled to its own dedicated forum.The request was for Christians to discuss their hiking with freedom to elude to spiritual matters, but NOT to conduct Bible exegesis or hold online theology studies! :) But I do get your point that it might lead to many requests for niche groups. ;)

JAK
06-29-2008, 20:25
My poem was meant to say this thread has given me inspiration, and I wish to be there with you all if only in spirit. I will be sure and try and get out that same weekend up here with my wife and daughter.
Perhaps someday when she is older, she and I and the wife might all go on a longer hike down yonder.

Blossom what becomes of me...
That's meant to say that we never really know what might become of us, as we live on either through our own offspring, or through any good deeds or good words we might spread.

Thanks again. Spread the word. Keep the faith.
Enjoy your time in the woods together, and rejoice in all creation.

Summit
06-29-2008, 20:32
Thanks JAK for your words of inspiration. Hopefully we can meet up one day! ;)

Christus Cowboy
07-02-2008, 15:02
Well I was hoping for a different outcome but Atroll's concerns were understandable. I'm sorry to have opened up a can of worms where but my faith in Christ and my desire for the trail go hand in hand and sometimes I have difficulty keeping the two from overlapping in such forums. Perhaps this is why Summit was lead to organize this outing so that fellow believers can engage in such dialogue on the trail.... That said, I am looking forward to the time when I can participate on one of these hikes......

Cherokee Bill
07-02-2008, 15:41
I doubt it's a matter of Christians being victimized by some PC conspiracy. You must consider what would happen if members were to then request a Muslim forum, and a Jewish forum, and a LDS forum, and a Buddhist forum, etc. We'd then of course also require an atheist/agnostic forum as well. I think it would get out of hand pretty quickly if one were to take the position that every religious persuasion requires and is rightfully entitled to its own dedicated forum.

:)Thanks for the post, Good point, and I understand completely!

brotheral
07-02-2008, 19:30
After a few PM exchanges with attrol, I don't think it's going to happen. Like the 'Straightforward' forum, it would require frequent monitoring/policing, and he says he can't get enough moderator help as it is, so is not able to properly moderate the large number of forums already in existence, let alone add any more, especially a high maintenance one like this would be. While not the answer I was hoping for, I can certainly understand his reasons. :(
I do understand..... Thanks, Summit, for passing on this information :sun!!

The Weasel
07-02-2008, 19:40
All that notwithstanding, there is nothing that is likely to prevent a separate "Christians Hiking" thread from starting on general topics of interest to you all. That is a better place for this discussion which, after all, is in the "Straight Forward" forum, which means it should ONLY be about the proposed hike.

If anyone starts such a thread, I encourage it to be located in the "Sensitive Topics" forum, which is a "subscribed" forum, I believe, but which may be limited to WB members who are contributors, which may crimp your style a bit. Alternatively, it could be in "General".

I strongly - repeat strongly - encourage you all to not use it as a place to engage in evangelism, witnessing or thoughts that could offend others who don't share your faith. Frankly, that will turn a lot of people off, and it's probably one of the concerns that some - equally frankly, including me - have about a separate forum for Christians, even though I think - think - one could work. To modify slightly something I said earlier, if such a thread happens, make it a place where people will say, "Those Christians sound nice, and I enjoy reading their posts," rather than "Those Christians make me feel like I'm bad, and I don't think we shouldhave their posts here on WB."

The Weasel

JAK
07-02-2008, 19:46
Yeah, like throw in the odd curse word now and then. That sometimes works. ;)

riverroyer
07-02-2008, 21:02
Summit, if I am coming from NY do you have any ideas about the best way to get to Erwin, do you know the closest bus station to where the hike will begin. I have looked at maps and have a good idea but thought I might get some personal advice. Thank

Summit
07-02-2008, 21:53
Summit, if I am coming from NY do you have any ideas about the best way to get to Erwin, do you know the closest bus station to where the hike will begin. I have looked at maps and have a good idea but thought I might get some personal advice. ThankIt looks like Johnson City, TN is the closest Greyhound station. You might inquire with 'sheepdog' as to how he's traveling. If he's driving from Michigan, perhaps you guys can make arrangements as he'll likely be driving right through Johnson City! :)

Summit
07-18-2008, 10:22
Full moon last night/tonight . . . that means the 'Sisterhood/Brotherhood hike' is just three months away! :D

Plodderman
07-18-2008, 11:35
I am interested could you give me more information. I will read the post more and see whats there.

Summit
07-18-2008, 15:08
Details can be found primarily in posts # 1, 26, 28, 29. Let me know (via PM) if you have any specific questions. We will be getting much more into the details about a month from now. I hope you can clear your calendar and make it!

Christus Cowboy
07-18-2008, 16:00
I strongly - repeat strongly - encourage you all to not use it as a place to engage in evangelism, witnessing or thoughts that could offend others who don't share your faith. Frankly, that will turn a lot of people off, and it's probably one of the concerns that some - equally frankly, including me - have about a separate forum for Christians, even though I think - think - one could work. To modify slightly something I said earlier, if such a thread happens, make it a place where people will say, "Those Christians sound nice, and I enjoy reading their posts," rather than "Those Christians make me feel like I'm bad, and I don't think we should have their posts here on WB."
The Weasel

I agree with Weasel on his thoughts here as there are numerous Christian discussion forums where evangelistic efforts can be conveyed rather than using hiking website for such purposes. My original thought of a Christian thread was to have a venue to discuss the spiritual aspects that many encounter on the trail including myself. As a Christian I encountered numerous hikers who moved from an agnostic viewpoint to one of God's existence while taking such journeys. In the end I find Attroll and Weasel's concerns understandable.......

Plodderman
07-19-2008, 22:58
Try to see about setting aside some time.

Summit
08-13-2008, 21:23
Just a reminder and to 'bump' this thread up, we're inside of two months from the Sisterhood/Brotherhood hike. Start firming up your arrangements to set aside the week of Oct. 10-18th (hike will begin on the 11th). In about three weeks I'll be calling Mountain Harbour B&B to make my reservation and anyone else who wishes me to add their name or number to the reservation for x-number of people, let me know, preferably via PM. I'll make another announcement in this thread a couple of days before I call.

Of course 'last minute partakers' are absolutely welcome. It's just that you won't have any input into the planning, itinerary, etc. In fact if we do not even know you exist until you show up at Sam's Gap the morning of the hike start, that will be just fine! :)

Rainman
08-14-2008, 10:09
Hey Summit. I just found this thread. Thanks for "bumping it up."

I have scouting events already on the calendar for both weekends covered by this hike. Nevertheless, I wanted to add my voice to others to thank you for taking the initiative on this. I would love to be included in the next "Brotherhood / Sisterhood Hike."

I can't wait to read the trip report and look forward to scheduling the next hike!

pedal
08-14-2008, 14:06
I am glad to see this hike happening. I won't be able to make this one, but I sure am looking forward to possibly making the next one.
Have a great hike!

SS

Berserker
08-15-2008, 13:26
I wanted to chime in and just say that this is a really cool idea. I was actually trying to see if I could make part of it, but it appears I cannot. I'll definitely keep it in mind if another one is organized.

And yes...I am a Christian brother by the way.

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 14:13
I just read this entire thread and I was really refreshed. Especially Cowboy's thoughts on the wilderness; I sent it to my wife with the title "me in a nutshell". Not sure how I missed this thread before.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the hike. I will be hiking the AL Pinhoti on the 11th and have to be in Denver the following week and weekend (18th). But I hope to see more hikes like this in the future. Living in western TN, the AT is a bit of a drive for me nowadays, and I doubt I could take a whole week off, but I look forward to upcoming hikes like this one and perhaps showing up for a few days.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-19-2008, 21:58
I have interest; but I have yet to backpack ... only a hiker/car camper ... does anyone know how difficult the trails are for a true beginner? ... or perhaps I'd be one who does it 'part way'. I have to begin 'somewhere' :) And what better way than with all of you :)

Summit
08-19-2008, 22:52
I have interest; but I have yet to backpack ... only a hiker/car camper ... does anyone know how difficult the trails are for a true beginner? ... or perhaps I'd be one who does it 'part way'. I have to begin 'somewhere' :) And what better way than with all of you :)Hope the list and tips I PM'd you help.

Sisters who are planning/thinking about going, perhaps you can reach out to adventurousmtnlvr with some encouragement, advice, and help?

We will average about 10 miles a day, which if you start now and work up to some strenuous walking 5-6 days a week between now and then, you should do just fine (if you don't have any pre-existing physical/health limitations). Hope you can work things out and join us!

BitBucket
08-20-2008, 00:08
Was planning a hike of the GA section in late September with a couple of buddies from church...this sounds like it would be an even better opportunity for fellowship and to explore the wonders of my Creator. Any idea of weather in mid Oct in that area? I'm guessing it might possibly get down into the low 40s at night??

BitBucket
HikerRanky
DesertMTB
Sheepdog
Billyboy
riverroyer
Thoughtful Owl
Trillium
Hoop rat
geckobunny
mercy
Cabin Fever
Christus Cowboy
Summit

Summit
08-20-2008, 07:04
Was planning a hike of the GA section in late September with a couple of buddies from church...this sounds like it would be an even better opportunity for fellowship and to explore the wonders of my Creator. Any idea of weather in mid Oct in that area? I'm guessing it might possibly get down into the low 40s at night??

BitBucket
HikerRanky
DesertMTB
Sheepdog
Billyboy
riverroyer
Thoughtful Owl
Trillium
Hoop rat
geckobunny
mercy
Cabin Fever
Christus Cowboy
SummitThat's awesome that you'll join us! The weather in mid-October is very unpredictable. It could be unseasonably warm, seasonably cool, or unseasonably cold, so prepare for cold in your clothing and sleeping bag. Two years ago, I went nearly a full week in October wearing a tee-shirt and light jacket at night. It was only a little chilly in the morning. Then the last day and a half a cold front came through and I needed all my cold weather layers.

Be sure to pack some chap stick or similar cold weather lip balm. You may not need it but if we get windy cold weather that is common this time of year, you will not want to be without.

Rowdy Yates
08-20-2008, 07:21
Summit,
I love this idea and wish I lived close enough to participate, BUT - Michigan is just a little bit far to drive, plus, as a pastor I am needed here. Perhaps in the future I can make it, so make this a yearly thing.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-20-2008, 12:12
Hope the list and tips I PM'd you help.

Yes, It did thank you.

Summit
08-20-2008, 15:00
as a pastor I am needed here. Perhaps in the future I can make it, so make this a yearly thing.You mean you have a recurring event on your Sunday calendar? I understand completely! :) We covet your prayers and hope you can join us in the future!

Blessings,
Summit

Rowdy Yates
08-21-2008, 07:30
You mean you have a recurring event on your Sunday calendar? I understand completely! :) We covet your prayers and hope you can join us in the future!

Blessings,
Summit

:D Yes Summit, every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening for the past 27 years. I love hiking very much, but my "first love" is serving my Lord by serving others. I will make a note of your hike dates and ask the Church to pray for success and harmony in this hike.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-22-2008, 07:16
I have planned a hike from Sam's Gap to 19E from Oct. 11th to the 18th. It's about 70 miles, thus a modest 10 mile per day pace over seven days.

addendum to my previous post inquiries. It was suggested to me since I'm new to backpacking that I try a shorter trip as my first one and that is probably really good advice. Seemed my desire was greater than 'common sense' LOL. Wish everyone a blessed trip. Thanks Summit for all your advice, it was greatly appreciated and I'll keep that gear list for a future trip. Hope to see all of you on the trail one of these days! Until then happy trails my friends :)

Summit
08-22-2008, 12:14
addendum to my previous post inquiries. It was suggested to me since I'm new to backpacking that I try a shorter trip as my first one and that is probably really good advice. Seemed my desire was greater than 'common sense' LOL. Wish everyone a blessed trip. Thanks Summit for all your advice, it was greatly appreciated and I'll keep that gear list for a future trip. Hope to see all of you on the trail one of these days! Until then happy trails my friends :)Be sure and let us know how your first hike goes. A great place to start (if you want AT experience) would be the Standing Indian area, and that's pretty close to Chattanooga . . . at least a lot closer than it is to Durham. Search 'Standing Indian' here on WB and you'll get tons of info about the area, how to get there, etc. There are numerous loops you can do in and out of Standing Indian Campground, and since you like to car camp, that's a great place for that too! Spent a week there six years in a row when my now grown son was little. Good luck!

adventurousmtnlvr
08-22-2008, 17:35
A great place to start (if you want AT experience) would be the Standing Indian area, and that's pretty close to Chattanooga . . .

Well thank you. You are ALWAYS so helpful and I know many appreciate that :) I actually get a lot out of 'many' of your posts all over the WB site. Thanks :) And I will look up Standing Indian, sounds nice :) Blessings everyone! :) Have fun but be safe :)

Summit
08-30-2008, 08:35
OK gang, I want to be sensitive not to 'over-organize' this hike, but the extent that organization is needed depends on how well we communicate. I will be making a Mountain Harbour B&B 'hiking cabin' reservation a week from today (9/6/08) for the night of Friday, the 10th of October - last I checked it is $15 for a 'bunk' in the hiker's cabin. If you wish to be included in that 'group reservation' please PM me so indicating. If you prefer to make your own arrangements with Mountain Harbour B&B, I would suggest you do so pretty soon. Our hike will be during the popular 'leaf viewing' season, and their cabin could 'fill up.' Or, if you plan on joining the group at Sam's Gap or other itinerary, that's fine too.

I'm thinking for best communication, if you will PM me your preferred email address, we can all start 'replying to all' and communicate back and forth that way - would kinda allow 'the group' to get to know one another better before we meet face-to-face in six weeks!

And lady Christian hikers, don't be offended by the "Brotherhood" thing. If I can be a 'bride of Christ,' you can be part of the 'brotherhood,' just as when Jesus said "if I be lifted up, I will draw all men to myself" he certainly had both men and women in view! :)

TIME TO:
1) Firm up your plans and commitment to the group
2) Start exercising (if not already doing so) to be in reasonable shape for the start
3) Make reservation(s) at Mountain Harbour B&B (if you plan to utilize their services)
4) If you haven't already, grab the downloads (data and maps) from posts #26 and #29 from this thread (page 2)

The hike begins six weeks from today! :welcome :banana

little bear
08-30-2008, 15:41
Little Bear is in for 12-15 for the Fellowship and hiking.

Summit
09-05-2008, 09:45
OK gang, I want to be sensitive not to 'over-organize' this hike, but the extent that organization is needed depends on how well we communicate. I will be making a Mountain Harbour B&B 'hiking cabin' reservation a week from today (9/6/08) for the night of Friday, the 10th of October - last I checked it is $15 for a 'bunk' in the hiker's cabin. If you wish to be included in that 'group reservation' please PM me so indicating. If you prefer to make your own arrangements with Mountain Harbour B&B, I would suggest you do so pretty soon. Our hike will be during the popular 'leaf viewing' season, and their cabin could 'fill up.' Or, if you plan on joining the group at Sam's Gap or other itinerary, that's fine too.

I'm thinking for best communication, if you will PM me your preferred email address, we can all start 'replying to all' and communicate back and forth that way - would kinda allow 'the group' to get to know one another better before we meet face-to-face in six weeks!

And lady Christian hikers, don't be offended by the "Brotherhood" thing. If I can be a 'bride of Christ,' you can be part of the 'brotherhood,' just as when Jesus said "if I be lifted up, I will draw all men to myself" he certainly had both men and women in view! :)

TIME TO:
1) Firm up your plans and commitment to the group
2) Start exercising (if not already doing so) to be in reasonable shape for the start
3) Make reservation(s) at Mountain Harbour B&B (if you plan to utilize their services)
4) If you haven't already, grab the downloads (data and maps) from posts #26 and #29 from this thread (page 2)

The hike begins six weeks from today! :welcome :banana

Anyone wish to be added to my reservation with Mountain Harbour B&B 'Hiker's cabin' @ $15/might?

squantrilll
09-05-2008, 16:23
Sorry bit to far for me to trek!! but enjoy and hope it goes well..:banana

SunnyWalker
09-05-2008, 22:58
Summit: Great idea and I hope it is a real success. I only wish I could come with you. I will be praying for you all over those dates. So have a great time, stay safe, soak up the word, pray a lot and serve the Lord! Amen.

little bear
09-14-2008, 14:57
you guys getting excited about the upcoming hike?

I know I am.

LB

shoe
09-22-2008, 22:59
I am curious as to how many women are planning on this trip?
I might be able to swing it but I don't want to be the only girl :)

Summit
09-23-2008, 07:13
As of this date and time, no one has committed. I'm still planning to do the hike solo, as I had originally planned for my fall hike anyway. I guess we'll have to try another time to coordinate this. Thanks to all who tried to work it out. :)