PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam/Lake and Fishing

KMaha
06-07-2008, 21:25
I am looking for a hike that allows me to fish some. I was thinking about hiking some of the AT and Fontana (NC) lake area for about 4 days. That area is within driving distance of where I live. Has anyone hiked that area outside the AT itself? Any experience trying the lake and creeks for some evening fish?

KMaha
06-08-2008, 21:15
Hmmmm....Awfully quiet. Specifically I am wondering if anyone has experience with the trails immediately off the AT at Fontana Lake in NC. I see there are a couple trails that loop around on the NOBO side of the lake. The map shows it as horse and hiker use. Does anyone know how much use that area gets?

J5man
06-08-2008, 21:41
Check out some info about hiking and fishing around the Hazel Creek area. Talk with the people at the marina close to Fontana Dam. You can take a water shuttle over to Hazel Creek then hike, camp, and fish. You can hike a loop back to the marina and some of it is on the AT. They can give you more details.

Cuffs
06-08-2008, 22:07
20 mile ranger station/trail, to lakeshore trail... (basically the BMT) alot of water and all the feeder creeks...

(not much response... its the weekend!)

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 22:22
Hey, a little closer to home for ya with the gas prices would be a hike to Ellicott Rock. Nice trout fishing on the Chattoga. You can start at Burrells Ford and make the 8 mile hike up to Ellicott Rock. In case you don't know, the rock is apparently the boundry between GA, NC, and SC. Usually good fishing and the short portion of this I have done is nice hiking.

If you want directions, PM me, I can get you there from Stockbridge.

Rasputen
06-08-2008, 22:49
Hey KMaha,

I Fly Fish/hike this area quiet a bit. This is the Lakeshore/Benton Mackaye Trail area that you are referring to if I read you correctly. You have many options and miles of superb trout streams if this is what you are looking for.

I might make a suggestion. If appealing, and with 4 days,you could get a shuttle from fontana(park at Fontana Visitor Center)to the tunnel at Noland Creek and hike and fish the 35 mile Lakeshore trail and effectively fish some,if not the best trout streams in the GSMNP! Noland, Forney, Hazel and Eagle Creek are gems teaming with brown and rainbow trout with brook trout in the headwaters.

You have many options to hike and fish. If you want to add a portion of the AT to the list you could hike the AT to Spence Field and down Eagle Creek fishing along the way or hike down Hazel or Forney etc... and back to your car. You are really only limited to time and imagination! All these trails are well maintained and a glorious hike.

This time of year the trails are used quiet a bit depending on the day? Lots of bears frequent the area along the Lakeshore Trail. I hike solo,have seen many and have never had a problem.

Wish I had the time, I would join you.... Good luck and have fun!

KMaha
06-08-2008, 23:23
Great info all. I am certainly interested in the water taxi. I will look that up and see what it offers me. Based on what I see I may have to dedicate several hikes to this area. Love to see new stuff. I'm worn out on the AT in NeGA and the NC Maggie Valley area (family there). Thanks all.

dmax
06-09-2008, 00:35
Look up Backpackers web site. They have a good 3-d fly over of exactly what you are looking for, I think. After viewing it, i can't wait to take this hike with a pole.

KMaha
06-10-2008, 16:48
I have been matching trail map with Google Earth. I've skecthed in the trail areas so I can get an idea of what I am looking at. Based on some of the posts here and some older posts that I have searched I plan to go to the area a few times to really get into the area.
Wish I had more vacation time I could break up.

Sir-P-Alot
06-29-2008, 22:37
Looks like I will be doing that Hazel Creek/Forney loop starting around July 5th. I don't really fish, but it is suppose to be a great hike. I am giving my wife the option of doing that one or Standing Indian to NOC. I am leaning toward the Hazel creek hike though.