PDA

View Full Version : Helen Ga.

Former Admin
10-10-2002, 06:43
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Helen Ga.

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories, would you suggest a maildrop here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Singletrack
10-11-2002, 17:19
Helen could be considered a minature Gatlinburg, except with Om Pah music coming from many stores, and a German Alpine motif. The tourists walk the streets in their bermuda shorts, and tube socks, shopping until they drop. There are many motels, restaurants, candy and ice cream shops. If it is warm enough, you can tube down the Hooch (Chattahoochee river) with hundreds of others. Bettys Store is good for long term resupply,and most of the motels have laundries. There is a small outfitter a short way from town, caters mostly to kayakers, and the Hotlanta crowd. If you are cold, wet and hungry, its worth the hitch. But IMHO not as complete a Trail town as Hiawassee has become over the last few years.

MedicineMan
03-12-2003, 17:05
Anyone know of any shuttles out of Helen, names, numbers, etc?
I need a shuttle from there to Unicoi Gap and then a pick up at Dicks Creek Gap a week from Monday?

Presto
03-12-2003, 17:09
I skipped Helen and it didn't sound like I missed much according to fellow thrus. Keep movin on.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 06:40
It is not an easy hitch into Helen, there really is no where to stand and when you come off the trail your in a blind spot since traffic is just cresting a hill and will have a hard time slowing down to pick you up, nor would the drivers want to when they will be in a blind spot for other cars coming over the crest. None the less I got a ride into town by the Georgia state police. I forgot the name of the motel I stayed at, but they shuttled me and another hiker back to the trail for free, since that is their policy for hikers staying there. This town has a few bars that are fun and if bar drinking is your thing you need to go into this town otherwise it won't be till Gatlinburg where you can do some more bar drinking and womanizing.

Chef2000
02-12-2004, 21:26
I stopped at Helen On my Hike and loved it. Ive been back twicw since. If you Leave Springer in Early March, when you get to Helen you wont have to deal with mny tourists. For drinkers of Alcohol its the first place you can have that. Lots of dry areas in Georgia. Super 8 gives hiker discount in 2000 it was 35 bucks for a room. Great resaturants and all the supplies you will need.

screwysquirrel
02-13-2004, 00:20
Blue Duck and I stopped there in 2000 when I had to go to the outfitters there. We also stayed at the Super 8. We got a ride to there in about 15 minutes after we hit the road. You wouldn't want to resupply there because the grocery store there was super expensive. The town was like a model of a German alpine village, I guess. Too commercial for me but the outfitter had my filter replacement so I can't complain. And the Super 8 did shuttle us back to the AT.

bearbait2k4
02-13-2004, 00:41
Helen is scary!!

Stay away!

Freaky German music coming out of every corner you turn. Weird-ass mini-golf course that plays that creepy music you hear in scary movies just before someone dies in the middle of the night. It's expensive, too.

Don't go there if you don't have to!

Happy
02-13-2004, 01:17
Helen is scary!!

Stay away!

Freaky German music coming out of every corner you turn. Weird-ass mini-golf course that plays that creepy music you hear in scary movies just before someone dies in the middle of the night. It's expensive, too.

Why would you plan to go there in the first place (tourist trap)...did you not bother to read the guide book's...and go 1 section further...bad planning and you get what you got...like a bad mail drop!!!

bearbait2k4
02-13-2004, 03:12
I am sorry that the guidebook I was using didn't mention it being a tourist trap. Please forgive me for not being psychic, and not knowing every single thing there was to know about the AT before I hiked it.

I thought the AT was a learning experience, but I guess not. Actually, I thought this post was for giving advice on the town of Helen, GA. Maybe it should, instead, be called 'insult the people who try to give advice to those who ask for it.'

Jody7818
02-13-2004, 09:18
Yeah...Helen can be an expensive town. But it's also a unique town. I don't know if there are any towns like Helen along the AT. There is a bakery near the entrance of the town. They sell an authentic German chocolate bar called Ritte Sport. That's some of the best chocolate I've ever eaten. I'm addicted to it.... :jump

Chef2000
02-13-2004, 18:54
They have beer and lots of it. :dance

Chappy
02-18-2004, 12:36
Helen is scary!!

Stay away!

I've always thought Helen as a nice little town. Wasn't scary the few times I've visited the place. I wouldn't consider it a hiker town, but the people always seem to welcome hikers. I've never heard of any hiker horror stories. Motel rates in Feb and march are fantastic and Betty's Country Store is a great place to shop.