PDA

View Full Version : Map Question

Toofarafoot
02-15-2004, 21:13
Any "old-timers" out there who can answer this question: Has the AT route changed much thru NC/Tenn in the past 20 years? Reason I ask, is that I was given a trail map for these states, dated 1981. If the route is basically the same now, I can save a few bucks when I purchase my maps for my "almost" 2004 thru-hike (another story). I realize that many thrus don't see the need for maps, but I take them along as a "security blanket"; also gives me an idea of the elevation changes I can expect with each day's hike. I know that the shelter info on the old maps is outdated, but I'll be carrying a Thru Hiker Companion for that info.

weary
02-15-2004, 22:14
...Has the AT route changed much thru NC/Tenn in the past 20 years? Reason I ask, is that I was given a trail map for these states, dated 1981. ... I know that the shelter info on the old maps is outdated, but I'll be carrying a Thru Hiker Companion for that info.

The elevations have not changed in the past 12 years -- well may be a fraction of an inch or so. Regardless. The old maps are perfectly accurate for hiking purposes relative to elevations. There may be relocations, and changed shelter locations, but I wouldn't worry significantly about these. The data book and other guides, along with signs, will almost certainly give you the information that is important.

Weary