PDA

View Full Version : North difficulty compared with South???

djessop
06-08-2008, 02:54
Hello All....

This August I am planning to return to hiking for a jaunt on the LT, thru-hiking it.

In 05 I thru-hiked the AT and had no trouble pulling 30s on the LT/AT section. Rumor has it that as the LT departs from the AT, it gets tougher. Is this true and if so, how much so?

Also, how does the northern LT compare in beauty with the LT/AT. I found the LT section of the AT one of the most pleasant parts along the entire trail.

Please advise, especially if you have thru-hiked the LT or are a faster hiker.

The Wandering Bull
Florida Trail / Appalachian Trail 2005

P.S. Thank you sir, may I have another?

fiddlehead
06-08-2008, 06:39
Yeah, the LT gets steeper north of the AT cutoff. And wilder.
It's a smaller trail cause it doesn't get the numbers (narrower)
And doesn't get maintained as well so there are more plants/briars/stickers to walk thru.
There are some tough climbs as it goes on or around a bunch of ski areas in northern VT.
At least that's the way i remember from my hike in '99.

It's a great trail. Enjoy!

Cookerhiker
06-08-2008, 09:30
Hello All....

This August I am planning to return to hiking for a jaunt on the LT, thru-hiking it.

In 05 I thru-hiked the AT and had no trouble pulling 30s on the LT/AT section. Rumor has it that as the LT departs from the AT, it gets tougher. Is this true and if so, how much so?

Also, how does the northern LT compare in beauty with the LT/AT. I found the LT section of the AT one of the most pleasant parts along the entire trail.

Please advise, especially if you have thru-hiked the LT or are a faster hiker.

The Wandering Bull
Florida Trail / Appalachian Trail 2005

P.S. Thank you sir, may I have another?

Agree with Fiddlehead - it's generally more difficult in the north. But the rewards are immense. For about 40 miles starting with the Lincoln Ridge, youi have views of Lake Champlain with the Adirondacks in the background. There's nothing comparable on the AT. Camels Hump is a great climb and is devoid of cars & roads.

Some of the ups and downs are steep and you have a mini-Mahoosuc Notch in the person of Devils Gulch in the far north.

Another plus is once past Rt. 108, there's very few people. Also less in the way of services so plan accordingly.

I just hiked the LT last year - read about it here (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerlt07/). Another WBer - Quoddy - also thru-hiked it. And don't forget about Jan LiteShoe's book The Ordinary Adventurer available at Jan's site http://www.funfreedom.com.

DuctTape
06-08-2008, 14:26
Generally I'd say parts of the northern LT are much like the AT in southern Maine, with climbs/descents similar to Mahoosuc Arm and rocks/roots similar to the nastiest Maine has to offer as well.

djessop
06-08-2008, 15:57
Thanks for the helpful tips!!! I'm looking forward to it already.

Kerosene
06-08-2008, 16:09
I concur, the northern section of the LT is much more difficult, and wilder, than the southern portion. I'd think that your daily mileage in southern Maine would be comparable to what you could do in northern Vermont. Of course, you probably won't be in thru-hiking shape when you start the LT. Three weeks should be more than sufficient for the stronger hiker, depending on weather. Certainly you can do it faster if you have a lot of daylight during the northern section. Enjoy!

Quoddy
06-08-2008, 16:51
As CookerHiker mentioned, I did the LT last August. Lincoln Gap to Johnson is, by far, the best stretch. I think the mileage not only slows because of the difficulity of the terrain in this area, but also because it's so scenic. I had to stop and take in the views so often that my mileage suffered, but I was on the hike to see those vistas.

fiddlehead
06-08-2008, 20:51
Since this isn't the "straight forward" category, i'll drift a little here to say that when i did the LT in '99, it was in preparation for the Pyrenees HRP. I thought the LT was the hardest trail (steepest) and would be good training.

I got humbled fast over in Spain/France as the mtns over there seem to go perpendicular to the direction you are going. (the ridges are stacked the wrong way) and it's all up and down (steeply) Tis a beautiful hike with practically no one thru-ing it. (there were 2 others besides our group of 3 that year)

NorthCountryWoods
06-08-2008, 21:02
Lots to see and depending on the traffic (narrow and over grown trail) much easier to get lost or misdirected. I live here and actually wandered off the trail on Laraway Mountain I've walked hundreds of times (no exaggeration).

The northern section is also muddier with more slippery rock which slows me down.

BTW, section 11 (Lamoille River to VT Route 118) was awesome this weekend regardless of the heat. My mother-in-law said the hunidity was oppressive in Burlington, but it was breezy, cool and comfortable on the trail. It was wet after a week of rain, but surprisingly the bugs were not a problem.

Spice Twin 1
06-09-2008, 10:51
Cookerhiker;
Nice to see your postings. We have a similar history. I hiked AT 1985-2005. Am planning to do northern half of Long Trail later this summer. Hope to meet you at a Gathering or on the trail some time. Best wishes; Dan Kahn (Spice Twin 1)

Cookerhiker
06-09-2008, 13:47
Cookerhiker;
Nice to see your postings. We have a similar history. I hiked AT 1985-2005. Am planning to do northern half of Long Trail later this summer. Hope to meet you at a Gathering or on the trail some time. Best wishes; Dan Kahn (Spice Twin 1)

Thanks - look forward to meeting you too.

gravityman
06-09-2008, 16:34
Wandering Bull! Good see (read) you!

I'm positive you won't have any issue with doing whatever miles you put your mind to on the Northern LT. My wife and I did it as a training hike in 2004, and did not enjoy it very much. Sections of it sure are pretty, but taken as a whole, we found it fairly unrewarding. Lots of large climbs with no views. But obviously other people have had very different experiences on the same trail.

Personally I would much rather do a section of the Colorado Trail or John Muir Trail than the Long Trail...

Gravity and Danger (GAME 2005)

pedxing
06-26-2008, 13:02
I did the LT a couple of times and yes, the North is harder. If you are heading North from the Maine Junction the first day or so will be very easy and the next stretch lets you kind of ease into the tougher stretches of trail.

I agree with Duct Tape - the Northern LT is in the same league with the souther n stretches of the Maine AT. Some people have said its a lot harder than anything they've seen on the AT - but that was probably because they were already hardened by about 2000 miles of walking when they hit the Maine AT.

Mags
06-26-2008, 13:09
but that was probably because they were already hardened by about 2000 miles of walking when they hit the Maine AT.

I'd be curious to do the LT (or the AT) again with lighter gear and the better shape I am now in overall (vs. when I started backpacking).

I found the LT in 1997 to be the hardest hiking I've done before or since in terms of grade. OTOH, it was my first long hike, my BPW was ~30 lbs (egads!), I weighed about 20 lbs more than I do now and I did the trail somewhat fast (esp by 1997 standards) in 18 days.

Though, I did find the LT in 1999 (less than 20 lbs BPW, better shape) to be difficult as well...so who knows! :)

The section between the Maine Junction and RT2 is the most difficult in my opinion. But also the best section, too.

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 13:15
I'm thinking about the LT for next year. Or maybe the Wonderland Trail. Or possibly the Superior Hiking Trail. Not sure yet.

Is there a superior hiking trail to the Superior Hiking Trail? Just wondering. ;)

Slo-go'en
06-26-2008, 20:39
The top 50 miles of the LT has some insane trail, thats for sure. Pretty much Mansfield north. Well worth the effort though, some neat places and outstanding views up there. I recommend going South to North. I went north to south as my first ever long distance hike in June (of '85 I think it was). Big mistake!

Haven't spent much time up there since I was a GMC caretaker, some 20 years ago. I really should do it again, this time south to north in September. All the tourests are gone (except on nice weekends) and the weather is starting to get crisp.

Cookerhiker
06-26-2008, 21:19
I'm thinking about the LT for next year. Or maybe the Wonderland Trail. Or possibly the Superior Hiking Trail. Not sure yet.

Is there a superior hiking trail to the Superior Hiking Trail? Just wondering. ;)

I want to do the Wonderland Trail sometime in the next few years. Was it ever repaired from the '06 washouts?

MOWGLI
06-26-2008, 21:22
I want to do the Wonderland Trail sometime in the next few years. Was it ever repaired from the '06 washouts?

Yes, all but a few miles where a landslide took out the trail. I have a good friend who was on assignment as the Public Information Officer in the park in late 2007.

wilconow
06-27-2008, 12:42
Yes, all but a few miles where a landslide took out the trail. I have a good friend who was on assignment as the Public Information Officer in the park in late 2007.

I was planning a trip there this summer, but after dealing with things like having to reserve where I'm going to camp every night and trying to avoid crowds, I've decided not to.

Not positive but I think we're going to go to the North Cascades. I just ordered the Trekking Washington book, which is in the same series as the Trekking the Southern Appalachian book that Mowgli recommended. Hopefully it will be just as good

MOWGLI
06-27-2008, 12:49
Wilcownow, please give us a trip report when you get back.