PDA

View Full Version : Question about AT use??

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 22:19
I have a question I have been wondering about. When I sectioned Unicoi to Dicks Creek last month I found a beautiful little over look just south of Tray Gap. There are a couple of camp sites there and a fire ring. It is only about .1 of a mile from the parking area at Tray Gap. Now my mother is getting a little older and with a knee replacement from an auto accident years ago, she does not get around much. I want her to get out in the wilderness somehow, and I thought this was a perfect spot since it is only .1 of a mile from parking and virtually flat all the way to it.

Well the family starts asking me what I want to do for my birthday/father's day next weekend(if you need a link to a wish list, contact me via PM:D). I immediately think of this place. So here is where my question comes in. I want to go up there and grill hamburgers and hotdogs and just watch the sunset from here (even though I think it actually faces East). It will be my brother and his fiance', my family (4 of us), and probably just my mother. The inlaws may or may not join us.

My question is this; is anybody going to get offended and talk badly of us for using the site for this get together? I am thinking this would be not different than a hiker feed out on the AT. It was just dancing in my mind and figured what better place than here to ask it. Thanks!!

Pokey2006
06-08-2008, 22:28
You're just as entitled to use the site as any other hiker or camper, I would think.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-08-2008, 22:28
I think it is a wonderful idea and I certainly wouldn't be offended if I came upon a family doing what you purpose along the AT.

bjj4287
06-08-2008, 22:29
u will be shunned from the AT community

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 22:40
I don't care if a 16 year old is going to "shun" me. His priorities are not in order anyway. I was thinking the way Pokey was thinking myself. Thanks to Dino as well.

4eyedbuzzard
06-08-2008, 22:42
Go for it. You have as much right to use it as anyone else.

Sounds like a really nice place for a family outing.

4eyedbuzzard
06-08-2008, 22:44
u will be shunned from the AT community

Best to remember to use that sarcasm smilie:rolleyes: so you're not misinterpreted.

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 22:49
Go for it. You have as much right to use it as anyone else.

Sounds like a really nice place for a family outing.

Yeah it is. I also have a good friend who used to work for me. He has some sort of problem with blood clots. He loves the outdoors but ever since he started having problems he is unable to get away from even the house much. he just almost died on us a few months back with a clot on one of his lungs. As soon as he gets some energy back, I am going to take him to this same exact place. No climbs, .2 in and out, should be simple for most anybody.

LIhikers
06-09-2008, 06:49
As the commercial used to say..."just do it"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-09-2008, 07:12
Bless you for getting your infirmed relatives out in the woods.

Don't worry what others think - just do what you know in your heart is right. In the end, it is only you and your Creator that you need to be concerned with in regard to 'shunning' - everyone else's approval is just gravy.

Back in 2004 and 2005, I took a wheelchair out on some trails. Some people protested my use of a 'wheeled vehicle' on trails mightily. Some protested that I was a SAR incident waiting to happen. One actually suggested I enjoy nature via pictures only. Most just looked away as though I didn't exist (because a wheelchair-bound person on a trail was more than they could wrap their tiny minds around Maybe :confused:) Some were very encouraging. Many credited me with courage and fortitude - I was just doing what I had to do to stay sane in the conditions that existed.

Dances with Mice
06-09-2008, 08:51
There is one major problem with your plan - steaks are just as easy to grill as hamburgers and hot dogs.

Overnight primitive camping is not restricted. I ---think--- you're in the Tray Mtn Wilderness area at that location. It's a National Forest and your intended use is one reason why that land was set aside. Relax and enjoy the time with your family.

Marta
06-09-2008, 08:57
It sounds like a lot of work on your end...but what a kind and generous thing for you to do on Father's Day!

bjj4287
06-09-2008, 08:59
i was kidding:rolleyes:

Bulldawg
06-09-2008, 09:16
There is one major problem with your plan - steaks are just as easy to grill as hamburgers and hot dogs.

Overnight primitive camping is not restricted. I ---think--- you're in the Tray Mtn Wilderness area at that location. It's a National Forest and your intended use is one reason why that land was set aside. Relax and enjoy the time with your family.

I think the sign for the Tray Mountain Wilderness is on the opposite side of the road from this spot, just as you start north out of the gap, but the actual boundary may not be. I thought about steaks, but I also though about how big a pain steaks can be sometimes when you don't buy one that is just tender enough to be able to cut and eat off a plastic plate.

I just hope those pesky bears from the Blood Mountain area don't make their way over to visit us!!:D

Dances with Mice
06-09-2008, 10:09
Look for "Flat Iron Steaks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak)" at Kroger, very tender and a $9 steak will feed 3 or 4. Cut into serving size pieces before you go. Need an easy marinade idea? But bring hot dogs for the kids. They'll like having dogs better anyway.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-09-2008, 10:14
Dinos have been known to hike with a ziplock (not zipper type which leak, but the old-style) with steaks in marinade. They tenderize and flavor as we hike.... tenderness has never been a problem with this method.

4eyedbuzzard
06-09-2008, 10:17
...Back in 2004 and 2005, I took a wheelchair out on some trails. Some people protested my use of a 'wheeled vehicle' on trails mightily. Some protested that I was a SAR incident waiting to happen. One actually suggested I enjoy nature via pictures only. Most just looked away as though I didn't exist (because a wheelchair-bound person on a trail was more than they could wrap their tiny minds around Maybe :confused:) Some were very encouraging. Many credited me with courage and fortitude - I was just doing what I had to do to stay sane in the conditions that existed.

I'd have greased your brakes. :p :::image of Frolic--Flying Dino passing Wild Cowboy on downhill trail:::
How'd that sanity thing ever work out by the way? :D

Seriously though, I think it's wonderful that you were able to get out, however limited, while in a wheelchair. I've only had to use a wheelchair or powered vehicle for a few weeks when I was injured and the looks you get, and don't get, from people are amazing. It's like you're less than human to some - they don't want to see you in their world. It bothers them somehow. I felt like whompin' on a few of them with my cane - and Martian tentacles.

Take nothing in life for granted.

Blissful
06-09-2008, 12:00
Have a great time Bulldawg! :

Hey - And hope to see you on the trail in 2011 - bjj4287 :)

rafe
06-09-2008, 12:57
Eons ago I walked past a wedding ceremony up on Franconia Ridge. I guess anything goes...

Bare Bear
06-09-2008, 16:55
The Trail is for those that hike. You are hiking .1 to it and camping.............HYOH Have fun.

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2008, 20:25
I recall a wonderful night spent at that location; I know exactly where you're talking about. You're right, the sun will set behind you, but you'll see the lights of Helen (?) spreading out in front. Use the site as it was intended, and have a trerrific time.

Skidsteer
06-09-2008, 20:37
I just hope those pesky bears from the Blood Mountain area don't make their way over to visit us!!:D

No worries about the Blood bears.

I scared a big one at the Cheese Factory about this time last year. You can still see the trail of broken trees in his getaway path.

Gray Blazer
06-09-2008, 20:53
Don't be surprised and offended if some locals show up for a beer get together.

Bulldawg
06-09-2008, 21:19
Don't be surprised and offended if some locals show up for a beer get together.

I resent that remark, I am a local, but don't drink in front of the kids, or mom for that matter!!:rolleyes: