PDA

View Full Version : Beer Pouches

Dan Morris
02-15-2004, 22:25
I did some research by calling the Great Bear Brewing company. They haven't been selling the pouches for at least a year maybe more. Lady I talked to said that there wasn’t enough interest in them. I don't know if anyone else in the U.S. sells them.

mindlessmariachi
02-16-2004, 11:19
it's not like an empty beer can weighs that much . I say pack canned beer ... then when you drink 'em you'll have very little weight
mariachi

gardenville
02-16-2004, 11:39
And if you made stoves out of the empty cans you could leave them in a hiker box or give them to other hikers and not worry about ...your trash you beer sucking slouth....Church Lady get off my computer. Sorry about that.

mindlessmariachi
02-16-2004, 23:07
i got into homebrewing about 2 years before my thru hike.

then, shortly before my thru hike i had involved conversations with a friend who's a chemist at the Mass. Institute of Technology, who, fortuitously, specializes in alcohols. I told him of my dream of dehydrated beer for backpacking (i understand somebody made an alcohol-free dehydrated beer a few years ago - thanks, but i'm not interested).

However, there apparently is no solid form of alcohol. So my chemist friend speculated that maybe you could get the water out of the ber leaving only the liquid alcohol, and you'd have a sort of beer paste. then, if you could add water you'd have beer.

Of course, my homebrewing experience tells me there would be no fizz in this beer. But that made me wonder about the possibility of using a CO-2 cartridge to fizz up the beer on the spot. I don't see why you couldn't.

Someday I'll put all this together. You gotta dream.

mariachi

brian
02-16-2004, 23:41
i got into homebrewing about 2 years before my thru hike.

then, shortly before my thru hike i had involved conversations with a friend who's a chemist at the Mass. Institute of Technology, who, fortuitously, specializes in alcohols. I told him of my dream of dehydrated beer for backpacking (i understand somebody made an alcohol-free dehydrated beer a few years ago - thanks, but i'm not interested).

However, there apparently is no solid form of alcohol. So my chemist friend speculated that maybe you could get the water out of the ber leaving only the liquid alcohol, and you'd have a sort of beer paste. then, if you could add water you'd have beer.

Of course, my homebrewing experience tells me there would be no fizz in this beer. But that made me wonder about the possibility of using a CO-2 cartridge to fizz up the beer on the spot. I don't see why you couldn't.

Someday I'll put all this together. You gotta dream.

mariachi

Dont forget to add "patent pending" ;)

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Rain Man
02-17-2004, 00:20
Dont forget to add "patent pending" ;)

Only if, indeed, there is a pending patent, however! "Patent Pending" cannot be claimed like "Copyright" can, unless you have applied for a patent and are waiting to hear from the US Patent Office.

Rain Man

mindlessmariachi
02-17-2004, 11:22
actually, beer paste might be good on its own. kinda like those "goo" packs people eat for energy

02-17-2004, 11:28
BEER PASTE. Don't they call that vegemite. I am no Aussie but....

jojo0425
02-17-2004, 13:22
But isn't this one of the reasons for trail towns? Sheesh, if we have it all up in them there mountains, why would we return to civilization? Perhaps that might be a good thing? :-?

atraildreamer
08-20-2006, 05:59
actually, beer paste might be good on its own. kinda like those "goo" packs people eat for energy

Beer paste sounds about as inviting as Sarbar's boiled cake idea :eek: (See posts re: Sarbar's wedding :) )

Footslogger
08-20-2006, 10:48
Beer Powder is where it's at ...

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/020520.Okos.beer.html

Kinda like instant coffee with a kick !!

'Slogger