PDA

View Full Version : bursitis pain

jessicacomp
06-09-2008, 09:48
So a few weeks ago, right before Trail Days, my knee hurt badly enough that I was limping and decided to go to a doctor. She told me that I had bursitis and had to stay off my knee for 4-6 weeks. So I went up to Front Royal where I have been doing work for stay, and it's been 4 weeeks that I have been off of it. I tried to get back on the trail yesterday, and I only hiked 5 miles w/o my pack, and it really hurt. Any advice? Does it appear that my hike for this season is done?

Sly
06-09-2008, 10:03
Hi Two Beers, sorry to hear about your troubles. Depending on your threshold for pain I've seen others walk through knee pain without any permanent injury. Have you tried ibuprophen and/or Aleve?

jessicacomp
06-09-2008, 10:06
well, the doctor gave me a prescription for naproxen, which is just strong alieve I guess. She also told me I could cause permanent damage if I continued hiking at that point. I mean it wasnt awful pain when I went yesterday, so I am wondering if I just wait a few more weeks and try again if I'll be okay.

mudhead
06-09-2008, 12:13
I am not a doctor.

I found out that anti-inflammatory was needed even after the initial pain subsided. Like two weeks worth after. Ace sleeve helped me. Tend it now, it was a nagging issue for me.

Rockhound
06-09-2008, 12:20
have you tried the all natural bacon remedy? It does wonders for sore joints and muscles.

Frosty
06-09-2008, 12:21
She also told me I could cause permanent damage if I continued hiking at that point. I am 61 years old and my knees are kind of shot. It sucks. Not just hiking, but stairs in general, and trying to walk after being in a car for a few hours. I can get around but it always hurts. But I'm 61, and my knees are old and certain things are expected with age. You're 23 years old and you do NOT want knees like mine for the rest of your life. Listen to your doctor.

take-a-knee
06-09-2008, 15:19
So a few weeks ago, right before Trail Days, my knee hurt badly enough that I was limping and decided to go to a doctor. She told me that I had bursitis and had to stay off my knee for 4-6 weeks. So I went up to Front Royal where I have been doing work for stay, and it's been 4 weeeks that I have been off of it. I tried to get back on the trail yesterday, and I only hiked 5 miles w/o my pack, and it really hurt. Any advice? Does it appear that my hike for this season is done?

If you saw an ortho guy for any knee problem and he didn't reccomend ROM exercises at least or physical therapy in particular then you likely need a new doctor. Did he look like he could carry a pack up a mountain?

There are two types of doctors:

1) Pills and scalpels can fix anything.

2) My patient has a medical condition needs correcting via the least invasive/harmful means necessary.

Sly
06-09-2008, 15:45
I wouldn't listen to anyone who hasn't completed a long distance hike, including a doctor (unless you've had an MRI). Lots, if not all, have walked through problems without any lasting effects.

yappy
06-09-2008, 15:57
Hi Sly, where are ya ?..:)

Blissful
06-09-2008, 15:59
Yes, go to a sports dr. who understands and will get you going again. You probably also need physical therapy, stretching, etc.

daibutsu
06-09-2008, 16:13
I recently had a fairly severe knee pain problem. This is not so profound but it was to me; ibuprofen certainly works as an immediate pain killer but it's real benefit is anti-inflammatory. I had to take 200 mg up to 4 times a day for a month, then every day I was getting better. After the month, I'd just carry a few with me and if it seemed the pain was creeping in, I'd take one or two, depending on the walking/riding demand. Noe the inflammation is completely gone and I'm back to normal.

I'm no doctor, nor play one on TV.

Christopher Robin
06-09-2008, 16:37
Yes, go to a sports dr. who understands and will get you going again. You probably also need physical therapy, stretching, etc.
Yes I agree I'm working w/ P.T. at this time on it's working well. :sun

The Weasel
06-09-2008, 16:45
Jessica:

Disregard all the advice to "walk through it" by using symtomatic therapy, i.e. pain relief. That's the advice that leaves NFL players as cripples and gives you lifelong arthritis leading to joint replacement way too early. Honest.

The best advice here is to see a sports medicine clinic. Any university town will have one, and they are increasingly common elsewhere. With the kind of pain you're having, you should have a full workup, since even daily activities may end up making things worse. Make sure the clinic is experienced and has orthopedic surgeons on staff. Going sooner rather than later can make a big difference.

TW

jesse
06-09-2008, 17:25
Listen to your body.
Go home. Come back next year.

Sly
06-09-2008, 18:13
Jessica:

Disregard all the advice to "walk through it" by using symtomatic therapy, i.e. pain relief. That's the advice that leaves NFL players as cripples and gives you lifelong arthritis leading to joint replacement way too early. Honest.

That's a bit of a stretch comparing hiking to pro football. If all thru-hikers stopped when things got painful, they'd all be section hikers like yourself.
Hi Sly, where are ya ?..:)

Green Valley, CA at Casa de Luna sitting out the heat. Skipping to KM soon.

yappy
06-09-2008, 19:25
Hows' the hike going ?

jessicacomp
06-09-2008, 19:29
Thanks for the advice. It gave me a lot to think about today. I think I am going to go back to Pa, where I am from, for a couple weeks and then will hike 60 or so miles into Duncannon for the Billville Hiker Feed. I will probably then move up to New England or somewhere on the east coast and just continue hiking here and there until I have the time to try and thru hike again.
I can deal with pain pretty easily, but the pain I had from my knee was probably the worst I've had. And my knee was all squishy.

Also, Sly, it's nice to hear from you. I hope all is going great on the PCT!

Chaco Taco
06-17-2008, 23:08
Hey Two Beers. I just found out about all ofthis when I met back up with Matthewski. Im heartbroken that we wont see you when we get to Front Royal. Will you come see us at Duncannon??? PLEASE?????? Miss ya girl!

jessicacomp
06-17-2008, 23:30
chaco, i am getting back on the trail (probably) at caledonia state park around the 29th...or maybe even earlier. I am then going to hike to Duncannon and hang out there for the weekend. theeen I am going to move to CT. When you guys get up there, I am going to bring you beer, hike with you, and beg that everyone come to my apartment to let me feed them!

Chaco Taco
06-17-2008, 23:42
chaco, i am getting back on the trail (probably) at caledonia state park around the 29th...or maybe even earlier. I am then going to hike to Duncannon and hang out there for the weekend. theeen I am going to move to CT. When you guys get up there, I am going to bring you beer, hike with you, and beg that everyone come to my apartment to let me feed them!
Ill help you cook. We really miss you!

jessicacomp
06-17-2008, 23:45
i might actually get back on the trail this upcoming weekend...ive been thinking about it...any ideas where you'll be on Sunday?

Chaco Taco
06-17-2008, 23:51
In the Shenandoahs heading out at Swift Run Gap and Rt 33 from my high school. Just out of Charlottesville.

jessicacomp
06-17-2008, 23:54
well I will just stay in touch with Matty and JT and hop back on the trail whenever you guys aren't too far away from me. I am in PA right now where my parents live, just itching like crazy every moment to be back out there.

camojack
06-18-2008, 04:00
well I will just stay in touch with Matty and JT and hop back on the trail whenever you guys aren't too far away from me. I am in PA right now where my parents live, just itching like crazy every moment to be back out there.
I know they're both planning to be in Duncannon for the July 4th weekend...

Heater
06-18-2008, 05:57
i might actually get back on the trail this upcoming weekend...ive been thinking about it...any ideas where you'll be on Sunday?

I'll be right here! :rolleyes:

...was you talkin' to me?

:D

jessicacomp
06-18-2008, 07:18
I know they're both planning to be in Duncannon for the July 4th weekend...

yeah, that I already knew. I have plans to be there that weekend too, but I am thinking about meeting back up with people a week or so before then. I want to hike into Duncannon.
Thanks though! :)

camojack
06-18-2008, 07:54
yeah, that I already knew. I have plans to be there that weekend too, but I am thinking about meeting back up with people a week or so before then. I want to hike into Duncannon.
Thanks though! :)
No worries. You said that you're in PA, where your parents live; is that very close to Duncannon?

jessicacomp
06-18-2008, 08:11
nah, not really. I am in Johnstown. It's about 2 1/2 hours away, so it's not terribly far either.

camojack
06-18-2008, 08:18
nah, not really. I am in Johnstown. It's about 2 1/2 hours away, so it's not terribly far either.
Johnstown, eh? Watch for flooding...like they've been getting in the Midwest. :eek:

I used to go out to that area for something called the "Dog Run" (http://www.biker-events.com/2007/09/06/19th-annual-dog-run-motorcycle-rally-in-windber-pa-this-weekend/); it's actually based in Windber, PA...

Johnny Thunder
06-18-2008, 08:27
Two Beers...get back on with caution. There's bear in them thar woods. Good luck. Much love. Hope to speak with you soon. If you're getting on/off this weekend we might be able to arrange a ride in the area since KeyChain's fiance and my girlfriend are both coming down to the Shennies (read: Phillie's Happy Hour AT Widows Hit The Trail). Don't quote me on that.