PDA

View Full Version : External frame backpack

Bamboo Brian
06-09-2008, 22:42
I know, or get the sense, that external frame backpacks are out of vogue now. However, I tried on a Kelty Trekker 3950 (65 L) today at BRMS and it felt really good/sturdy. Probably can carry a pretty hefty load. The pack itself is only a shade over 5 lbs, so really not all that heavy itself. Anyone have experience with the Trekker (or other external frame pack)? How much (gross) weight is it rated for?

Thanks!

rafe
06-09-2008, 23:10
Not that particular pack, but many years with another brand. Go for it. Use what works, particularly if you're not that concerned with weight. (But know that you're bucking a trend. ;))

Tennessee Viking
06-09-2008, 23:19
I have the Trekker 3900ST. I found mine just under $120 at Mast Outfitters. I started out by taking it on day hikes to get used to it. Packed it with extra water at times to put some weight on it.

Overall, I found the pack very sturdy, and I pack heavy with regular retail gear. The only thing I ever had to replace was to redo some of the rings for the straps. Then I changed them out with some car key rings that way I could use them in tying stuff down.

I do not suggest packing a bladder in the inside pouch. My equipment on a couple occasions pushed all the water of my bladder. Pack it on top

On a couple weekend hikes, I put at least 30-40 lbs on it. It seems a bit awkward at first. But it got real comfortable after the first mile.

Tipi Walter
06-09-2008, 23:43
I had a backpacking buddy that used to work at the Greensboro Blue Ridge Mt Sports and he moved to Richmond, Kurt Peterson. Capn. If you see him say hello for me. We went on a few trips together.

You gotta love the Keltys, they basically started the external pack line back in the 1950s as a development and evolution from the old canvas Yucca framed packs and the older wooden trapper nelson packframes of yesteryear. And before those came the basket packs w/o hipbelts used by the american Indians.

I lived out of an external pack for years and though the Trekker you mention is too small for me, some come in 5500-6000 cubic inches and will haul enormous loads. My girlfriend uses a woman's Tioga and it's a near perfect pack for moderate loads. The Super Tioga used to be the old standby for most backpackers and it was a common sight on the AT back in the 1970s. Sometime in the 1990s Kelty introduced the Ultra Tioga, a $280 external that could haul 65-75 pounds and had a complex harness system with fiberglass wands and many adjustment straps.

Then Kelty came out with their 50th Anniversary pack which some consider to be the best external ever made. It was very light for its volume and had modular pockets, etc. Of course, you can't talk about the best external w/o mentioning the Dana Designs Astralframes/Terraframes, etc. Or the huge amount of large Camp Trails people used and still use.

Hot spots and sagging are two good indicators of too much weight in a pack, and the externals definitely have their limits. In fact, most packs whether ex or internal, will collapse, sag and be uncomfortable at around 60-70 pounds. Nobody wants to carry such weight anyway but when they do load a pack down with such weight, they'll know real quick how it's gonna feel. Ask anyone who hauled a fully loaded ALICE pack with 75 pounds what it felt like and you'll hear cursing and shouts. Try to put 75 pounds in your Kelty Trekker(it can be done, just strap a watermelon to the top), and you'll see real fast what it's made of.

The Weasel
06-10-2008, 00:03
Externals have many great features. "Fashion" is what works for you. I love my Jansport from the 80s.

TW

sheepdog
06-10-2008, 10:01
Externals are cool and comfortable. I use mine at least half the time.

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 10:33
I have a large Camp Trails that I used for many years, then set aside in favor of internal frame packs. This past weekend I needed to carry a very heavy load of tools and materials about 2 miles. I broke it out thinking that it might carry the heavy load better and if it accidently was torn or damaged by the tools it would not be a huge deal.

It perfromed better than expected and supported that heavy load exceptionally well. I have to carry these loads often for a cabin that I am working on and intend to use this pack exclusively to haul them. A lot can be strapped to the frame and placed inside the pack.

It was kind of like visiting with an old friend that I haven't seen in a while.

rafe
06-10-2008, 10:36
Loved my Camp Trails pack. Felt a bit guilty retiring it last year. Peer pressure (and being a bit of a gram weenie) made me do it.

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 11:06
Loved my Camp Trails pack. Felt a bit guilty retiring it last year. Peer pressure (and being a bit of a gram weenie) made me do it.

I have no idea what my Camp Trails weighs. I used it in the time before I weighed everything. I'm going to put it on a scale and find out.

rafe
06-10-2008, 11:31
I have no idea what my Camp Trails weighs. I used it in the time before I weighed everything. I'm going to put it on a scale and find out.

Mine was a bit over 4 lbs. It's the "Adjustable II", purchased around 1988.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0145.jpg

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 11:52
Mine was a bit of 4 lbs. It's the "Adjustable II", purchased around 1988.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0145.jpg

Mine is the McKinley. I have no idea how I remembered that.

Must have been having one of those moments of clairity :sun

Time To Fly 97
06-10-2008, 11:58
I thru-hiked with a Camp Trails Wilderness - which looks just like the McKinley except reverse pockets. I had not troubles with this pack whatsoever and enjoyed the many access pockets, "kitchen sink" pockets, cooler external frame in the Summer, lighter weight when wet, etc. My frame finally bit the dust after years of abuse + thru-hike and I switched over to a Gregory internal which I like better for side to side support, shuttle top pack, and overall comfort. I work out with an external frame (ARUCS) which is made to carry serious weight comfortably.

Always listen to advice for sure, but ultimately make your own decision. There is nothing wrong with an external frame pack and these have some advantages too.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Tipi Walter
06-10-2008, 13:30
Here's a fotog of my backpacking buddy Johnny B with his huge Camp Trails. Note the tilted bottle holder and the mesh front flap, etc. He always wondered why his thermarests leaked . . .

Time To Fly 97
06-10-2008, 14:29
Here's a fotog of my backpacking buddy Johnny B with his huge Camp Trails. Note the tilted bottle holder and the mesh front flap, etc. He always wondered why his thermarests leaked . . .

THAT is the Camp Trails Wilderness - this is a great backpack. I thru-ed with one of these. Thanks for the memory - I miss that pack.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Bamboo Brian
06-10-2008, 20:26
Thanks for all the great advice. Made my first thread a really positive experience. I consider myself sort of a retro hiker, so I will likely proceed with plans to get an external frame pack.

Odd Thomas
06-10-2008, 23:49
I know, or get the sense, that external frame backpacks are out of vogue now. However, I tried on a Kelty Trekker 3950 (65 L) today at BRMS and it felt really good/sturdy. Probably can carry a pretty hefty load. The pack itself is only a shade over 5 lbs, so really not all that heavy itself. Anyone have experience with the Trekker (or other external frame pack)? How much (gross) weight is it rated for?

Thanks!

My Beachwhacking/Yellowblazing pack is an external frame, great for carrying crap strapped to the frame, like wet towels, folding chairs and boogieboards :p

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25448&catid=member&imageuser=17325
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25450&c=member&imageuser=17325

I have no idea on advertised stats, it's the pack my parents bought me for scouts over 25 years ago, weighs about 4.5lbs, carries 60 pounds heavily but comfortably and lets your back sweat evaporate. Not a very good multi-day trail pack, but I did just carry it for about 35 miles along the Outer Banks, NC.

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 00:07
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/profile6/1783/37/n536664155_7975.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile&id=536664155)

This is my Camp Trails. Had it headin south the last two years. Admired the others. Takin this one out again this year. Envirodiver is a wuss.:D (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536664155#)
:sun

Bamboo Brian
06-11-2008, 07:08
Where can I find a Camp Trails pack, besides e-bay? I don't see them on REI or Campmor. Are they still made?

rafe
06-11-2008, 08:49
Where can I find a Camp Trails pack, besides e-bay? I don't see them on REI or Campmor. Are they still made?

I've heard they're out of business. Whatever. They had a good run.

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 08:51
I've heard they're out of business. Whatever. They had a good run.
Yupperdoodle. Mine must be a classic.:)

russb
06-11-2008, 09:03
My external is 26oz. I know the gram weenies will call this hypocrisy but a pound is NOT a pound, how it carries is just as important. A 21 lb pack is not worse than a 20lb pack if the 20 pounder carries poorly and the 21 pounder is very comfortable. That being said I also have a fanatic fringe thompson peak at 9.5oz for my very light loads as it is more comfortable than my external for those weights.

Time To Fly 97
06-11-2008, 09:16
(FYI) CampTrails was purchased by Johnson Outdoors. You can still find backpacks on the Canadian site, but no externals.

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/backpacks/list.php?menu=4&type=2&cat=128&lang=en

Happy hiking!

TTF

Peaks
06-11-2008, 17:10
I was pleased with the Kelty Trekker 3950 that I used for my thru-hike. Seemed to be a good price/value and at the time, most internal frame packs cost more and weighted more.

I since switched to using an Osprey Atmos pack. Still doesn't seem to fit as well at the Kelty external frame.

CrumbSnatcher
06-11-2008, 17:39
kelty supertioga external and the 50th year anniversary external pack have been very good for me over the years

Montego
06-11-2008, 19:00
I use to also have a Camp Trails external frame backpack, a looooong time ago, and loved it. Used a Jansport "Carson" external frame pack last month while on the AT and had absolutely no problems with it. Lots of compartments to stash stuff in and it was comfortable carrying around 42 lbs (yeah, I know. I'll go lighter next time). The only drawback I found was the hydration pocket being in the wrong spot, soooo, used it instead for my guidebook and maps. Worked for me!

Feral Bill
06-11-2008, 22:46
http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=EXTERNAL+FRAME+PACKS&dept_id=3032 Eureka external pack. They sold me a replacement for my "shrunk" hip belt a few weeks ago. Very helpful people.