PDA

View Full Version : Candle Lantern

Bob S
06-09-2008, 23:44
I have 2 of these candle lanterns, the brass one I converted to lamp oil years ago with an oil lamp insert made by CandOil.

I would like to buy another oil lamp insert for the aluminum lantern. But I can’t find anyone that sell an oil lamp insert for it. I looked for it at REI, Campmor and googeled it and no luck finding one.

Do any of you know of a place to buy the oil lamp insert?

Summit
06-10-2008, 06:55
That looks a lot like an LLBean one I have. Might try them. With LEDs now-a-days, those belong on the nostalgia shelf and not in the backpack - too unsafe in a tent and too heavy! They do add warmth in a tent but again they are as dangerous in that environment as a stove.

JAK
06-10-2008, 07:23
Pyromania is all that seperates us from the lower lifer forms. :banana

Summit
06-10-2008, 12:05
Pyromania is all that seperates us from the lower lifer forms. :bananaOnly because worms don't have arms (to strike a match!) :eek:

Bob S
06-10-2008, 14:14
I know it’s old and heavy, but I like it. There is something magical about it.

wrongway_08
06-10-2008, 14:43
I know it’s old and heavy, but I like it. There is something magical about it.

I like mine too, I bring it along during the winter months, helps to warm the tent and just adds warmth by looking at it.

Not sure where to get one from besides buying a whole lantern and taking it apart for that holder.

ShakeyLeggs
06-10-2008, 15:15
Here is the website for the lanterns;

http://candlelantern.com/

The only place I found that offers the Oil Inserts is located in Germany but here is the link;

http://www.relags.com/index.php?show=shop&wg=05.10.02.00&artl=1&artikel=990700

double d
06-10-2008, 17:31
Be careful with those candle lanterns inside your tent, the lantern gets pretty hot from the candle and can melt your tent! But they are pretty cool to have in your tent.

Bob S
06-10-2008, 18:30
I have a D-ring in the center of my tent, I hang it from that with a mini-bungee strap. No real heat gets to the tent fabric and it’s not going to tip over and spill oil while hanging.

MagicSFK
06-10-2008, 18:57
...With LEDs now-a-days, those belong on the nostalgia shelf and not in the backpack...

From a practical & safety standpoint, I agree...but there's nothing quite like soft, warm candle light vs. the bright, cold light of an LED.