PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the Techamphibian

JWren
06-10-2008, 08:38
Anybody use these shoes, i saw a pair of these in a store and came close to buying them but i did not, they seemed almost to nonsupportive for hiking, everyting is appreciated, i just want to know what these shoes are like

AlwaysHiking
06-10-2008, 10:17
Have been wearing them for several years. I use them exclusively now in all seasons. I change out the inserts though for better ones that offer more support.

First pair lasted several years, since then though I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a pair. That's still not bad though, IMO. I think they just don't make 'em like they used to. I buy them at the end of the year when they're on sale. Have gotten a few pair for less than $20. One less than $10 cuz they were an ugly color. All the online retailers sell them at discount during the winter. The mesh is the only thing that blows out on these shoes. The lacing has never been an issue. Never had one break on me yet.

I wear them with socks and deal with very little dirt/debris. They're great for crossings, just trudge right on through and they drain the minute I'm on the other side. Then I stand there watching my partners as they try not to get wet, or while they sit and switch out shoes on both sides.

In the summer, with wool socks, they dry in 30 min. Winter it takes a little longer for the socks to dry out.

This was the first winter I used them. I was always afraid before that they'd be inadequate at keeping my feet warm. My hiking partner had mid height shoes which still got wet but didn't drain. His feet stayed wet and he was cold. I carried a pair of socks in my pocket, when we'd come out of some icy water, if my feet felt cold, I'd switch out socks and put the wet ones in my pocket to dry then my feet were instantly warm with the dry pair of socks on. My hiking partner couldn't do this though b/c any dry socks he tried would just end up wet from the water his shoes retained.

Surprisingly though, even in snow I didn't need to change out my socks all that often. Wool still kept me warm even when it was wet.

I used to go for gortex boots, gaiters, etc... everything to keep the water out. I quickly figured out it's not possible to always keep the water out and once it gets in, in those types of shoes/boots, there's no getting it out for a long time.

Wet is a state of mind, you either mind it or you don't. So for me, shoes that drain well are the only way to hike happy cuz wet is going to happen whether I want it to or not!

During the summer though, it's very refreshing when my feet are hot to step into a nice cool stream. Feels really good on the feet!