PDA

View Full Version : Mckinley camp trails external frame

klpicktown
06-10-2008, 09:59
I can pick one up only worn twice for $70.....anything good or bad about this pack. I have never bought a hiking pack before because I'm just getting in. is this pack a good place to start? Thanks

max patch
06-10-2008, 11:34
Well, I used that pack along with the extension piece on my thru carrying 35-50 pounds and I made it so it will easily work for you as a first pack.

However, most people today prefer internals.

If you are just starting out probably better to rent or borrow and see what you prefer.

fiddlehead
06-10-2008, 11:37
Hey, I had a CampTrails external on my first hike. (back in '77)
Didn't know they were still making them. Yeah, it held up great. Wasn't called a McKinley though.

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 12:03
I have a Camp Trails McKinley that I put many miles on. There's another thread where we were discussing external frames packs this morning.

I just used mine again last weekend to carry a heavy load and it performed admirably as it always did. I along with most others switched over to internal frame packs about 10 or so years ago. Mine still works great. It's tough and has a lot of shoulder strap adjustment. Might be able to find one a little cheaper if you want to spend the time looking.

Might want to check out internal frame packs also to help you make the choice. But, if you like the external frame it's an excellent pack.

Toolshed
06-10-2008, 13:55
Long time Eureka Fan, but whqt exactly does worn twice mean?:confused:
worn on two trips? How long wee the trips? once for 6 months and then once for 4 months? :D

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 14:40
Long time Eureka Fan, but whqt exactly does worn twice mean?:confused:
worn on two trips? How long wee the trips? once for 6 months and then once for 4 months? :D

It was a little Old Lady. She only wore it to Church.

klpicktown
06-10-2008, 14:56
i'm waiting to hear back from him so i can go take a look at it...any stess points or anything i should look for if i get to see it?

fiddlehead
06-10-2008, 21:42
I remember i carried a few spare parts and once one of the pins that hold the pack unto the frame broke and i had the replacement one with me. You could jury rig something on the trail till you got to a hardware store and use a nut and bolt or something.

I always carry dental floss which will tow a truck if you are in a ditch. (and a needle with a big eye to sew it with)