PDA

View Full Version : Train Security

FFTorched
06-10-2008, 20:13
I am traveling home on a train and was wondering what type of screening I would have to go through to get on a train. Could I carry a pocket knife on me? I was wondering what people's experiences with trains are?

rafe
06-10-2008, 20:22
No problems the last couple times I rode Amtrak.

Bare Bear
06-10-2008, 20:40
Why not check the web site and they have your answers there.

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2008, 20:42
You could carry a small-scale nuclear weapon in a suitcase and no one would be the wiser.

I'm certainly not advocating it, just pointing out that security on our non-air passenger and cargo transportation systems is non-existent. Even the air security is severely lacking, as anyone who has flown will testify.

le loupe
06-10-2008, 20:44
I rode NJ transit into and out of NYC recently and there is no screening or other security

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2008, 21:00
I rode NJ transit into and out of NYC recently and there is no screening or other securityWell, there is zero screening and security but there are plenty of cops in Penn Station.

If you want to cause problems and shut the whole transit system down, point out a fast food bag on the ground to a cop and tell them you might have heard a ticking noise coming from it, that you don't think you did, but that there is a slight possibility. That will make tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people get home hours late, grumpy, especially on a hot day like today.

Again, don't do this, but it is perfectly possible given the lack of real security.

FFTorched
06-10-2008, 21:06
Alright thanks. I don't plan on taking a small nuclear device or trying to shut down rail transportation for the East Coast so I think it will go smooth. I plan to just sit on the train listen to my iPod and read my Hemingway book and possibly have a drink in the lounge car.

bigcranky
06-10-2008, 21:39
"I'm hijacking this train to Cuba...."

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2008, 22:10
Alright thanks. I don't plan on taking a small nuclear device or trying to shut down rail transportation for the East Coast so I think it will go smooth. I plan to just sit on the train listen to my iPod and read my Hemingway book and possibly have a drink in the lounge car.Well, as long as you don't put your feet up in the seats, you shouldn't get in any trouble. Enjoy the trip!

Odd Thomas
06-11-2008, 00:40
"I'm hijacking this train to Cuba...."

Wouldn't be that much wackier than some of the northbound trips! :p

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/capt.1059000823.migrants_truck_boat_mh106.jpg
(http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/capt.1059000823.migrants_truck_boat_mh106.jpg)

Odd Thomas
06-11-2008, 01:00
You could carry a small-scale nuclear weapon in a suitcase and no one would be the wiser.

That's refreshing actually. Last time I flew they made me take off my shoes that I'd been wearing for 16 hours straight, and drop my drawers exposing my bleach-thinned bachelor hole-y underwear to dozens of strangers.

Gaiter
06-11-2008, 02:00
last time i went on a train, i had a few things hanging off my pack so i decided to put my rain cover over it and keep it all contained, so my rain cover got little more roughed up than i expected, but nothing duct tape couldn't fix...

didn't go through any security hardly at all that i know off, i know when i got on the train, my pack wasn't even x-rayed,
i wouldn't carry a knife on you (like in your pocket), but in your pack or bag

dzierzak
06-11-2008, 10:22
I took a MARC commuter from Harpers Ferry to DC and Amtrak from DC to home at the end of April after a section hike. No security, no checked bags. Just carried it all on with me.

ed

buff_jeff
06-11-2008, 14:28
You can get anything on a train. I took Amtrak to Harpers Ferry last March with a Kabar knife and propane alongside all my other hiking gear and nobody even looked into my bag.

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 14:34
and drop my drawers exposing my bleach-thinned bachelor hole-y underwear to dozens of strangers.They're not supposed to do that in public, they have private areas if you have to remove necessary articles of clothing. Of course, then you miss your flight! You could file a complaint, they have everything on tape. Then they put you on the no-fly list.

I carry a pair of "footies" that they used to give you in first class to put on over my socks when going through security. I'm not going to walk barefoot where all those other people have, nor am I putting my socks back in my shoes after walking there.

Last time I flew home they made me take off my belt, it doesn't normally trigger the alarm, and hadn't when I left home. I told the lady that my pants would fall down, and she said, "That's our entertainment." It was funny because she looked like a grandmother/librarian.

Montego
06-11-2008, 19:15
Last month I rode the MARC Train from Harpers Ferry to DC Union Station, then took the Amtrac from DC Union to Oklahoma City. I had several items with me that were a no no (according to Amtrac's web site) including a knife, fuel, scissors, Purell hand cleaner, etc. and no one ever checked or even ask me about anything. At first I was going to keep the pack with me on the Amtrac but later decided to just "check" it and still - zip. So happy traveling :)

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2008, 19:45
just got back from Maine by train... lots of backpacks - no worries, make sure your machete does not stick out.

If you get off at Connecticut, the train does not slow down much, they just toss you from the train to stay on time.:eek:

FFTorched
06-11-2008, 20:57
Well Amtrak called me today to tell me that their was "a problem with my route." I will ride the train from Raleigh, NC to Rocky Mount, then get off the train and ride a bus to DC. In DC get back on the train and ride to Philly where I was supposed to have a layover anyways. Then I'm back to normal service to Harrisburg.

Freaked me out first when I heard the voice mail telling me there was a problem with my route like I couldn't take the train anymore.