PDA

View Full Version : first time on the AT, friend was miserable...

wolfsbane
06-11-2008, 00:21
Hey everyone, so I just joined the site, and I am so excited. So here is the deal, long story short, my friend and I want to thru-hike southbound. I live in florida he lives in NY. I couldnt get time off work until the end of this month (june) but he wanted to start earlier. So he left a few days ago, and the plan was for me to meet him somewhere in New Hampshire probably (I had a plan to meet/find him but thats besides the point now). So he called me today, and told me it was miserable going through the 100 mile wilderness, the bugs killed him, it was all mud, and his pack was heavy (mostly because of the extra food you have to carry through the 100 mild wilderness). So he decided to stop for now.

Now, i just got all my equipment, and i, ironically enough, bought my plane ticket into NY today. He is still into hiking it with me from the nearest jumping on point, but my question is i guess, is it very different hiking alone vs with a good friend? and how much worse is the 100 mile wilderness/maine in june vs a bit more south? less flies? not as heavy a pack? etc any other advice or anything you guys can help me with would be great. Im still SUPER stoked to go, and i just need some reassurance and help i guess.

thanks everyone!!!

Survivor Dave
06-11-2008, 00:30
Hey everyone, so I just joined the site, and I am so excited. So here is the deal, long story short, my friend and I want to thru-hike southbound. I live in florida he lives in NY. I couldnt get time off work until the end of this month (june) but he wanted to start earlier. So he left a few days ago, and the plan was for me to meet him somewhere in New Hampshire probably (I had a plan to meet/find him but thats besides the point now). So he called me today, and told me it was miserable going through the 100 mile wilderness, the bugs killed him, it was all mud, and his pack was heavy (mostly because of the extra food you have to carry through the 100 mild wilderness). So he decided to stop for now.

Now, i just got all my equipment, and i, ironically enough, bought my plane ticket into NY today. He is still into hiking it with me from the nearest jumping on point, but my question is i guess, is it very different hiking alone vs with a good friend? and how much worse is the 100 mile wilderness/maine in june vs a bit more south? less flies? not as heavy a pack? etc any other advice or anything you guys can help me with would be great. Im still SUPER stoked to go, and i just need some reassurance and help i guess.

thanks everyone!!!

I haven't quite made it up to Maine yet, but if your asking if you should go, I say go for it. I find that the term hike your own hike keeps you going. As you'll soon see, you will meet a lot of folks out there. Soon you'll be wanting to be more independant and meet new hikers.

Shoot, you'll get used to the mud and Blackflies. It's all part of the experience.

Go Man Go!

camojack
06-11-2008, 00:31
thanks everyone!!!
Hopefully, due to the heat wave, the black flies are pretty much wiped out...those little critters have a hellacious bite!
(Such that you bleed where they do bite)

As for hiking solo vs. with someone else, you have to carry everything if you're solo; hiking together you can each carry less.
(Sharing tent, stove & fuel bottle, etc.)

Good luck!!! :)

rafe
06-11-2008, 00:36
Early summer is peak bug season. Maine is famous for its black flies. Southern New England is famous for its mosquitoes. Connecticut is famous for its ticks. Bugs are a way of life on the AT, though things improve somewhat by August.

Hiking solo is a matter of taste. Works for me, mostly... though I'd prefer to have company when I camp for the night. It can be tricky finding a long-term hiking partner -- someone who walks at the same pace, and who won't get on your nerves in short order.

Montana Mac
06-11-2008, 07:29
If I hike with a partner I still carry all of the gear I need as if I was hiking solo. If you base the gear you carry on it being divided between you and the partner what happens if that person bails? For instance you carry the food, stove and fuel and they carry the tent. That person bails and takes their tent with them – what are you going to sleep in? You can still hike with a partner but also be able to hike independently.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 07:54
partnerships rarely work out on the trail

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2008, 08:05
Honest opinion, and likely you don't want to hear this, but... avoid hiking in New England until after July 1. The "traditional" start date for a SOBO is July 1 due to exactly the reasons you mention: bugs - especially black flies, mud, swollen streams, etc. Bugs were light early this spring and we had some better than normal trail conditions(less mud than usual) in some areas early on, but reports here on WB from someone on the LT in VT were that the black flies and mosquitoes were terrible and the mud was thick and deep. They cut their 3 day hike short as a result. I can't imagine ME is much different right now. Big snowpack this year, the mud could be around for a while. The fly situation is never really predictable, and as others have mentioned, co-existing with lots of bugs is a way a life in the woods.

You can tough it out SOBO, but you could also hike elsewhere, like NJ, NY, CT since you're flying in there, and then flip. Might be the better choice.

JAK
06-11-2008, 08:33
Take the flies. Ditch the friend. :banana

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2008, 08:43
Take the flies. Ditch the friend. :banana

Indeed an option. I'd add a bug hat, long pants and shirt, and lots of Sawyer's Broad spectrum, permethrin treated clothing, etc to the mix. The mud and blowdowns and water - well you'll get around or through them somehow. Definitely bring a tent or bug net.

wolfsbane
06-11-2008, 15:18
thanks for the feedback everyone, you really lifted my spirits. If I can be kinda touchyfeely right now, i have had such a great experience with everyone in how supportive they all are. I cant wait to get out there and meet some you "you" for real. lovin the camaraderie.

and as far as the tent thing goes, im thinkin this one for me and my buddy. We have hiked together before quite a bit, nothing so long, but for a few days, enough to know we can stay together on the trail, so im not worried about being left alone to carry everything. http://marmot.com/spring_2008/equipment/tents/ultralight/aura_2p/overview

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 15:23
Hopefully, due to the heat wave, the black flies are pretty much wiped out...those little critters have a hellacious bite!
(Such that you bleed where they do bite)They feed by chewing a little hole in your flesh and then lapping up the blood.

JAK
06-11-2008, 15:37
Your avatar looks like its got a pretty wicked bite also. ;)

Wags
06-12-2008, 00:07
i'd recommend spending that bread on a good 1 person tent and just picking up a wallyworld special to give to your buddy. you'll both appreciate sleeping in your own tent

dmax
06-12-2008, 00:57
1 person tent for sure. 4-5 days of hiker funk, and you'll be glad you have your own tent.

Bear Cables
06-12-2008, 17:17
They feed by chewing a little hole in your flesh and then lapping up the blood.

I believe all the black flies migrated to Sassafrass Shelter in NC. We stopped there for water and a short rest. I put my crocks on and when i switched back to my boots my toes and ankles were a bloody mess. I'm also hypersensitve to the bite so my toes became inflamed and swollen:(. Discovered that Purell works great for dying the bites out. We got out of there quickly.

A-Train
06-12-2008, 17:26
I hiked close to 2000 miles with my buddy last summer and it was definately a challenge. There were a lot of satisfying moments, and lots of agrevating ones too. Have you guys hiked much together? I would DEFINATELY recommend having your own equiptment, tent, stove, etc. We shared a tent for part of the trip and it was annoying at times. We didn't always hike together, so waiting around for someone while the bugs bite you is annoying, as is having to wait when you're hungry (we always carried our own cook stuff).

I suggest going back to Katahdin July 1 and starting there going south, unless you're not very interested in a thru-hike, in which case, start further south.

Your buddies situation is tough to evaluate. One school of thought says he's not mentally tough enough to do a long hike, and he will quit again. Another says, he'll get over it with better preparation the second time out and a good companion to keep things fun.

I hope it is the latter!

Summit
06-12-2008, 17:59
Hi wolfsbane,

Your situation is EXACTYLY why most of my 35 years of backpacking have been solo! I can't begin to describe how many times and how many friends have promised to go hiking with me . . . a few even started, but very darn few have ever finished a hike with me, or not messed up my plans one way or the other. I had to end my planned 100 mile hike around Mt. Olympus in Olympic NP due to friend's foot problems, etc. etc.

Some may have had completely different results with organizing hikes with friends, spouses, or family, and that's great if it's worked for you . . . it hasn't for me! :eek:

So tell your friend you're going, with or without him. You know, like it's time to poop or get off the pot! :D Pack lite and smart. What you need/carry will change slightly over the course of a thru, i.e. no winter clothing now but plenty of bug neutralization solutions. Then as summer ends, you won't need that but will need to add a little more clothing as the nights and rains get colder.

Summit
06-12-2008, 18:21
That said (above), don't worry if you wind up hitting the trail solo. You'll meet plenty of people "out there" and have the luxury of mutually hooking up with someone, if that appeals to you! ;)

Blissful
06-12-2008, 19:02
Since your friend had such a tough time out there, that should serve as a warning sign. It doesn't get any better with the tough terrain in southern ME and the Whites either, but I guess you will probably start elsewhere then (? I recommend Harpers Ferry and head north, then flip flop. Or another hiker last year started at Delaware Water Gap at this time of year and headed north to Katahdin, then flipped at DWG and headed south. That is an option as well and is closer to NY. Gives you time to get in condition before the tough stuff up north) Anyway, be sure to bring your own stuff. I've heard too many instances last year here buddies left and then there are problems with gear, mental issues etc.

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 00:52
Go for it. Even when you are hiking 'with' someone you will spend more time alone than not. Very few people hike at the same pace. I've seen a lof of hikes ruined due to trying to stay with others. Too fast, too slow, you want to go to the 'views' and they do not. They stop every two minutes to take a picture and you want to make miles, etc. Go, enjoy. You will meet lots of folks by going SOBO, although mostly NOBO's so talk fast. :)

SunnyWalker
06-13-2008, 20:08
Huh, I thought the traditional time to start a SOBO was in June??

Rockhound
06-13-2008, 20:21

thanks everyone!!!
The hiking might not be so great if you have to endure it with someone who is miserable.

Sly
06-13-2008, 20:47
With friend/partner or not, you don't want to miss a mile* of Maine. *old AT/blueblazes count! :D

rafe
06-13-2008, 21:03
Anyway, be sure to bring your own stuff. I've heard too many instances last year here buddies left and then there are problems with gear, mental issues etc.

Definitely need to watch out for those mental issues. ;)

superman
06-13-2008, 21:52
"Partnerships rarely work out on the trail"...even if it's your best friend. Setting yourself up to fail will turn you off to hiking. You can enjoy hiking in New England or you can hate it...timing is the key. The brochure shows the smiling young woman hiking in the woods on a clear day with mild temps and no bugs in sight. It isn't always like that. If you think your way along the trail you will have a better time than just toughing it out. You don't get any extra heaven points for doing it the hard way.:)

Wags
06-13-2008, 23:32
too many people say 'partnerships don't work' and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who listen to them. go ahead and start off w/ your buddy, but be prepared to go some of the journey alone if he calls it quits

RITBlake
06-14-2008, 00:45
I thru hiked the AT SOBO in 2005 with one of my best friends so I can relate directly to you. We spent but 5 nights at the same shelter/campsite.

I have a few pieces of advice for your pertaining to this, much of which has already been said:

1. Carry your own gear
The idea of splitting up gear is appealing but it just leads to tension. The last thing you want at the end of a long hot day is to be waiting for your buddy to show up so you can use the group cookwear and water filter. Bad idea. Also if fate should decide that one of you has to drop off, the last thing you want is to be stuck with heavier gear, ie two person tent

2. Hike your pace during the day
Don't be afraid to hike by yourself during the day. You can learn so much more about yourself when walking in solitude. Your buddy will be there waiting for you at lunch or at camp for the night. This will cut down on tension and general aggrevation.

3. Use the partnership
Hiking with a friend is a unique experience. In the tough times of a SOBO thru hike (like Maine) it's invaluable to have someone to share the pain with. Knowing that one of you best mates is going through the exact same struggles you are is comforting and motivating.

Dirtygaiters
06-14-2008, 17:35

thanks everyone!!!

Let me just say this: it's MUCH easier to hike solo than with a friend who is miserable while on the trail, especially if it's a good friend.

weary
06-14-2008, 20:54
They feed by chewing a little hole in your flesh and then lapping up the blood.
Actually, they don't "chew" a hole in your skin, they just dissolve a bit of your skin with chemicals, so they can suck out your blood. The Good News!!!
They all die shortly after nightfall -- well their progeny do return a bit after sunrise, the next day.

Weary