PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Mag seeking thru-hikers

Mike L.
06-11-2008, 08:32
Hi thru-hikers,
I'm an editor at Backpacker Magazine working on a story about thru-hiking the AT, and I'd like to include some tips from veteran thru-hikers. I'm looking for brief (one or two sentences), specific tips related to thru-hiking the AT (NOT tips specific only to the PCT or other trails) that aren't obvious or that someone wouldn't easily stumble upon in any guidebook or this website. For instance, please don't send me an email suggesting "pack as light as possible." Tips specific to thru-hiking in 2008 will not be of use to me because this story will be published after the '08 hiking season. Also, please don't send me questions about my request or my article or questions or comments about Backpacker. I'll definitely write back to people whose tips I like and may use, but I expect the volume of emails I'll receive will be too much to respond to everyone. If you read this after June 20, 2008, don't bother writing to me because my deadline will have passed. We will publish the name and hometown (and trail name if you like) of anyone whose tip we use, so I'll need that information from you. Email me at [email protected] if you have something to share. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 08:37
This is right up my alley. I'm the king of pithiness. Although i highly doubt BP would use any of my tips such as no need to treat water or always sleep with your food or no need for Leki poles

JAK
06-11-2008, 08:41
Yeah. Sometimes you really pith me off.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2008, 08:46
This is right up my alley. I'm the king of pithiness. Although i highly doubt BP would use any of my tips such as no need to treat water or always sleep with your food or no need for Leki poles

Thanks, LW. I needed some cheering up this morning.

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 08:52
I wish I were the King of pithiness. I'm more of a pithant really.:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-11-2008, 09:37
LW, you could always use some of your more mainstream tips like "Shelters sux", "Swim the Kennebec", "Don't be a slave to White Blazes - Blue-Blaze" or "Avoid being a Sheeple"

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 09:58
Hi thru-hikers,
I'm an editor at Backpacker Magazine working on a story about thru-hiking the AT, and I'd like to include some tips from veteran thru-hikers. I'm looking for brief (one or two sentences), specific tips related to thru-hiking the AT (NOT tips specific only to the PCT or other trails) that aren't obvious or that someone wouldn't easily stumble upon in any guidebook or this website. For instance, please don't send me an email suggesting "pack as light as possible." Tips specific to thru-hiking in 2008 will not be of use to me because this story will be published after the '08 hiking season. Also, please don't send me questions about my request or my article or questions or comments about Backpacker. I'll definitely write back to people whose tips I like and may use, but I expect the volume of emails I'll receive will be too much to respond to everyone. If you read this after June 20, 2008, don't bother writing to me because my deadline will have passed. We will publish the name and hometown (and trail name if you like) of anyone whose tip we use, so I'll need that information from you. Email me at [email protected] if you have something to share. Thanks.You sure have a lot of conditions and "don'ts" considering you're not even offering a promotional tee-shirt. :mad:

wilconow
06-11-2008, 10:18
My tip is don't read a certain magazine. They suggest horrible crap like relying on shelters (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14956)

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 10:21
My tip is don't read a certain magazine. They suggest horrible crap like not bringing a tent (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14956)
IT's written for people who read magazines. Not for those who actually backpack.

Lone Wolf
a lot of those "tips" suck

the goat
not bringing a tent is a great idea, that's what i do!

wilconow
06-11-2008, 10:24
not bringing a tent is a great idea, that's what i do!

Well, their tip implied that you shouldn't bring any shelter and rely on AT Shelters

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 10:25
Well, their tip implied that you shouldn't bring any shelter and rely on AT Shelters
Which is just dumb.;)

envirodiver
06-11-2008, 10:31
Which is just dumb.;)

So you are supposed to assume that there will always be room in the shelter? What if it's raining and there's not room. What if someone has a dog in there?

You know what assume stands for.

Mags
06-11-2008, 10:36
Backpacking Mags is not seeking thru-hikers at this time.

(Well, perhaps a female thru-hiker in their late 20s/30s who also has a caffeine addiction, thinks it is normal to carry a box of wine on backpacking trips and also thinks short-ish, Italian looking guys are the bomb.. Please don't send me questions about my request or questions or comments about Backpacking Mags.)

HikerRanky
06-11-2008, 10:41

And reliance upon using shelters is the easy way out.... What happens if shelters gets closed (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786991/)due to hiker harrasment, structural problems at a shelter, or burned down... Tentsites are still available, but alas, you don't have a tent due to a magazine tip that said to leave your tent at home...

Seems to me that a recant of that particular tip would be a good thing to feature....

the goat
06-11-2008, 10:46
i don't do that though.

DesertMTB
06-11-2008, 10:57
IT's written for people who read magazines. Not for those who actually backpack.

BS. I backpack and I read backpacker.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 11:00

yup, for packsniffers :cool:

doggiebag
06-11-2008, 11:19
I think it would still be pretty cool to have an original quote published in BP - I know I've seen you folks come up with some good ones.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 11:47

I really enjoy getting Backpacker. I've actually gotten a few terrific trip ideas out of it including an upcoming canoe/backpacking trip idea.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 11:48
Also in this latest issue there was a great 6 page story called 'The Onion vs. Mr. Magoo' about the two guys who tried to become the first thruhikers to yo-yo the CDT. It was pretty amazing, read the whole article.

wilconow
06-11-2008, 11:58
Also in this latest issue there was a great 6 page story called 'The Onion vs. Mr. Magoo' about the two guys who tried to become the first thruhikers to yo-yo the CDT. It was pretty amazing, read the whole article.

It was a decent read, but it was so obvious that the writer was out to make Tapon look bad. The bias was too blatant

doggiebag
06-11-2008, 12:03
Is that the copy where Cuffs has a pictorial layout?

double d
06-11-2008, 12:10
Does Backpacker have faults? Certainly yes, but I think Backpacker has improved over the last few years. I remember when John Vieman used to the editor of Backpacker Mag. (and host of trailside on pbs, around the mid 1990's), and I think the quality of the mag. was decent and most of the articles were interesting under his direction. To me, backpacker is best when it has articles about hikers doing what they do best, hike (as pointed out about the article on the yo-yo hike on the CDT). Also, some of us don't live in areas that have long distance hiking (think Chicagoland) within a hour or so drive, so for most of the year (especially winter months) our only connection with hiking is our webpages and backpacker mag. If someone is jonesing for a true account of long distance hiking, read the "the thousand mile summer". Not too many mail drops in that book, nor ultra-light gear or clothing that "wicks" sweat away. Then again, Colin was from the old school of hiking, one just got a map, compass, backpack and walked for a couple of months.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 12:36
Is that the copy where Cuffs has a pictorial layout?

Not sure? I read it on the plane then I fell asleep after reading that article!

JAK
06-11-2008, 12:41
Who was the centerfold in that issue?

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2008, 13:51
I wish I were the King of pithiness. I'm more of a pithant really.:rolleyes:

Ironically, that's quite pithy.

D'Artagnan
06-11-2008, 14:27
Ironically, that's quite pithy.

I've always heard it was better to be pithed off than pithed on.

Chance09
06-11-2008, 14:43
# 1 piece of advice for backpacker magazine readers:

JOIN WHITEBLAZE!!!!!

flemdawg1
06-11-2008, 16:10
I always find it funny that the largest magazines serving specific populations of a sport always invariably sucks. (i.e. The "serious" runners hate Runner's World.)

wilconow
06-11-2008, 16:43
(i.e. The "serious" runners hate Runner's World.)

I've still fairly new to running and have been getting this for free for some reason. The issue that came yesterday has a big headline saying "5 weeks to your first 5k". This is pretty akin to Backpacker having an article preparing a hiker for their first overnight.

Still, like Backpacker, they sometimes have pretty good feature articles. It's just unfortunate that you have to wade through so much crap to get to the substance

By the way, both bp'er and RW are published by Rodale

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 17:14
By the way, both bp'er and RW are published by Rodale

Actually Backpacker is no longer published by Rodale, it's published by a California based company called Active Interest Media.

As you will remember though, Rodale was responsible for the short lived attempt at creating regional issues of Backpacker, ie. The Northeast edition.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 17:15
source: http://www.activeinterestmedia.com/article_display_23.html

wilconow
06-11-2008, 17:17
Thanks for the correction

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 17:19
Thanks for the correction

I actually thought it was a Rodale product too until I read the table of contents carefully for some reason this issue. Not sure when it changed hands though?

Mags
06-11-2008, 17:31
I actually thought it was a Rodale product too until I read the table of contents carefully for some reason this issue. Not sure when it changed hands though?

..and they are based in my little town know. Some editor/person on the staff was even on birthday hike. Small world.

BPer has some good reads; not enough to make me subscribe. I read it for free at the library or book store. :)

Outdoor magazines in general are becoming..well, more generalist and more about sizzle and less about steak.

My (former) favorite outdoor magazine (http://mountaingazette.com/) was bough out this past year. What was once a magazine about the outdoors as a lifestyle now has articles about gear and places to purchase vacation homes. :O

But, there are still articles I love to read in MG (just like BPer)..I just miss what the magazine used to be. Curiously, the former editor of MG was also a contributor to BPer mag back in the day. He wrote an "obituary" for BPer mag (http://mountaingazette.earthbound.com/article/190)that could apply to MG now. :(

The change is not good or bad. It is just the changing nature of outdoor recreation in general. Outdoor magazines, to be competitive, have to sell to people who have an interest in backpacking (itself a declining activity) that differs from us. And many of these people do more than backpack..hence the articles about other items of interest (where to mtbike for example).

I am sure 10 yrs from now, BPer mag will be a different type of magazine. As will Runners World, Tri World, Underwater Basket Weaving World, etc.

To quote the end of the Chinese parable "And this too will change". It is the only constant in the world.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 17:48
Outdoor magazines in general are becoming..well, more generalist and more about sizzle and less about steak.

It's true. But like any other company, publishers are out to turn a profit and protect the bottom line. So it's no surprise that Bpacker has shifted to a more gear centric / ad rich format.

We as hikers are partially to blame. Most of us here at whiteblaze have what could be described as an elevated interest in gear. We'll do endless research on packs, tents, sleeping bags, and stoves just to shave off a few ounces on our next trip. We spend millions and millions each year to have the gear, and Bpacker would be crazy to not feed off of that.

They've established themselves as the source (for the general hiking public) for gear reviews and comparisons and this will only get bigger as gear companies push to have their gear reviewed, and backpackers pay to buy the gear!

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 17:53
When I was a BP Mag subscriber, I was a mere packsniffer wannabe.

Now that I quit BP Mag and joined WB, I am a packsniffer, trail angel, billvillian, friend of Jack (and everyone else on WB) wannabe. Progress. :rolleyes:

Mags
06-11-2008, 17:54
We as hikers are partially to blame. Most of us here at whiteblaze

It ain't just whiteblaze. Whenever I gave slideshows, invariably most of the questions focused on gear.

It is the easiest, most tangible thing to discuss.

Discussing how beautiful a flower is or what the smell of sage on a desert night smells like? A bit harder to convey..not something you tend to ask as well.

Ultimately all businesses serve their customers. The magazines would not turn to this format unless that is what people wanted and/or demanded.

mrc237
06-11-2008, 17:56
BP mag and WB have alot in common: Alot of the same BS by the same BS artists.

Mags
06-11-2008, 17:59
BP mag and WB have alot in common: Alot of the same BS by the same BS artists.

I hear Backpacking Mags (sometimes he is Cooking Mags, Skiing Mags and "Drinking Coffee in a bookshop Mags") is often full of BS....

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 17:59
It ain't just whiteblaze. Whenever I gave slideshows, invariably most of the questions focused on gear.

It is the easiest, most tangible thing to discuss.

Discussing how beautiful a flower is or what the smell of sage on a desert night smells like? A bit harder to convey..not something you tend to ask as well.

Ultimately all businesses serve their customers. The magazines would not turn to this format unless that is what people wanted and/or demanded.

Wow....a perfect response, couldn't have said it better so I won't try.
10/10

Skidsteer
06-11-2008, 18:25
Hi thru-hikers,
I'm an editor at Backpacker Magazine working on a story about thru-hiking the AT, and I'd like to include some tips from veteran thru-hikers. I'm looking for brief (one or two sentences), specific tips related to thru-hiking the AT (NOT tips specific only to the PCT or other trails) that aren't obvious or that someone wouldn't easily stumble upon in any guidebook or this website. For instance, please don't send me an email suggesting "pack as light as possible." Tips specific to thru-hiking in 2008 will not be of use to me because this story will be published after the '08 hiking season. Also, please don't send me questions about my request or my article or questions or comments about Backpacker. I'll definitely write back to people whose tips I like and may use, but I expect the volume of emails I'll receive will be too much to respond to everyone. If you read this after June 20, 2008, don't bother writing to me because my deadline will have passed. We will publish the name and hometown (and trail name if you like) of anyone whose tip we use, so I'll need that information from you. Email me at [email protected] if you have something to share. Thanks.

We already have an article on WhiteBlaze on the subject you are inquiring about:

Great trail tricks / Words of Wisdom (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww)

rickb
06-11-2008, 18:55
Another good source for the author to consider would be a recent thru hiker by the name of Minnesota Smith. He is on an oil rig right now, so doesn't drop in so much.

That said, MS has a book in the works and would certainly have something to say. He can be contacted through this website. Protection against Lymes, and developing special relationships with individuals and families met along the way might be particularly interesting areas to explore with MS.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 19:53
Another good source for the author to consider would be a recent thru hiker by the name of Minnesota Smith. He is on an oil rig right now, so doesn't drop in so much.
]

not so. he's logged on here just about daily and even replies to posts but you don't see those replies cuz he's on moderated status or some crap. everything has to read like a prison con. :)

Wags
06-11-2008, 20:09
here's my advise. don't listen to 1/2 these gays about 'don't take this take that'. the other 1/2 listen to

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 20:29
I think it's a riot that their list implied that people actually carry six pound tents...what "backpacker" carries a 6-pound tent???

Italian men are the bomb!

wilconow
06-11-2008, 20:44
This thread would be the best ever if the original poster gives his thoughts on the replies

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 20:47
Read his first post -- he ain't got time to deal with all this blah blah blah. He's got a magazine story to write.

A-Train
06-11-2008, 20:55
Read his first post -- he ain't got time to deal with all this blah blah blah. He's got a magazine story to write.

Yeah just wants free answers without giving anything back. Definately in the spirit of the hiking community. :rolleyes:

Blissful
06-11-2008, 21:10
I'd like to write the article FOR Backpacker rather than have an editor decide what to put it in if he has never done it (I don't know if this is a fact or not?). That would make more sense and be more interesting - having a hiker who has actually done the trail write the article from one viewpoint. Unfortunately you will get loads of ideas and then this guy gets to pick and choose what he wants or what looks good to him. Plus he is not specific and IMO - is asking too broad a topic to cover. Is the article focusing on gear? Getting ready? The Trail itself? Mental issues? Physical ssues? How to hike it? Home issues? What? And also what works for one may not work for another. So not certain how helpful this kind of thing will be in the end for a prospective hiker.

In the end - Just subscribe to WB. All the info you could ever need and with tons of opinions and other ingredients mixed in for effect. :)

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 21:25
I'd like to write the article FOR Backpacker rather than have an editor decide what to put it in if he has never done it (I don't know if this is a fact or not?).

I'm afraid that's how it works -- writers gather information then write a story. They don't let their sources write the story. That would just be a nightmare. I've seen what wannabes write before it goes through the editing process, and it ain't pretty. You want information direct from the source, you go to a place like WB. You want to read a story, you pick up a magazine. You want to share your own experience with others, start a blog.

Sorry, gotta defend the writing profession...

cavedive2
06-11-2008, 21:35
I cant beleave they are asking for help I thought that BP was the best mag out there for hikers Oh wait I was in a drunken stuper while typeing this.

I do wish that lone wolf would get to say somthing in it tho although I dont think there posh rich folks who read there mag would like it but I would would love it.

There Mag just keep's getting worse and worse every year. they are owned by a company that does diving mags as well and they are junk as well.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 21:38
I do wish that lone wolf would get to say somthing in it tho although I dont think there posh rich folks who read there mag would like it but I would would love it.

i wouldn't even entertain the thought of giving "tips" to BP. they already have a full staff of packsniffin' know-it-alls. just read any issue of that rag. :)

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 21:39
I'm afraid that's how it works -- writers gather information then write a story. They don't let their sources write the story. That would just be a nightmare. I've seen what wannabes write before it goes through the editing process, and it ain't pretty. You want information direct from the source, you go to a place like WB. You want to read a story, you pick up a magazine. You want to share your own experience with others, start a blog.

With the emphasis on STORY. Not sure what you are defending though. Many write well, including folks here; they just aren't published. BFD. :cool:

saimyoji
06-11-2008, 21:48
Am I the only one who things this solicitation is pure BS? Would a real BP editor on a deadline due in a week troll WB for email tips? :-?

saimyoji
06-11-2008, 21:49
Am I the only one who thinks this solicitation is pure BS? Would a real BP editor on a deadline due in a week troll WB for email tips? :-?

saimyoji
06-11-2008, 21:49
Am I the only one who things this solicitation is pure BS? Would a real BP editor on a deadline due in a week troll WB for email tips? :-?

Am I the only one who thinks this solicitation is pure BS? Would a real BP editor on a deadline due in a week troll WB for email tips? :-?

A double post deserves a follow up. :o

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 21:52

he shoulda gone on Trailplace for tips. that's where all the real past thru-hikers hang

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 22:31

An address like cableone.net, he's probably a freelance editor/writer.

Sleepy the Arab
06-12-2008, 20:08
I think this is legit and don't think we should be ridiculing an honest attempt to bring expert knowledge to the newbies i.e. "packsniffers" who read Backpacker. I have submitted the following tips to the fellow:

Take the ferry across the Kennebec - wait if you have to. It's not worth risking your life.
- Lone Wolf,
Damascus, VA

Leave the alcohol at home
- Baltimore Jack
Hanover, N.H.

Don't be a slave to the white blazes. There are plenty of fine side trails worth exploring as you go from Georgia to Maine.

- Warren Doyle
A.S.U.
Boone, N.C.

rafe
06-12-2008, 20:09
I think this is legit and don't think we should be ridiculing an honest attempt to bring expert knowledge to the newbies i.e. "packsniffers" who read Backpacker. I have submitted the following tips to the fellow:

Take the ferry across the Kennebec - wait if you have to. It's not worth risking your life.
- Lone Wolf,
Damascus, VA

Leave the alcohol at home
- Baltimore Jack
Hanover, N.H.

Don't be a slave to the white blazes. There are plenty of fine side trails worth exploring as you go from Georgia to Maine.

- Warren Doyle
A.S.U.
Boone, N.C.

LOL. Good one. :D :banana

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 20:12
I subscribe to your mag but complain about a lot of things that are written in it, see "Speed hike my A#$". I'm sorry I just thing that BP is a bit out of touch with the real scene which sucks because there is a lot of potential.

Press
06-12-2008, 20:56
Chill out, my brothers. The folks at Backpacker are no doubt doing their best to serve their masters -- which are you, the readers, but even more so, the advertisers. I bet most of the folks on the editorial side there are doing their best to give readers what they want. That said, I also wondered at the tone of the original post which was not very inviting. He may be trying to freelance a story to the mag that it hasn't yet agreed to publish. Through-hiking the AT seems a bit broad for them and not inline with the "true adventure" type tales they've been running lately.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 21:22
Chill out, my brothers. The folks at Backpacker are no doubt doing their best to serve their masters -- which are you, the readers, but even more so, the advertisers. I bet most of the folks on the editorial side there are doing their best to give readers what they want. That said, I also wondered at the tone of the original post which was not very inviting. He may be trying to freelance a story to the mag that it hasn't yet agreed to publish. Through-hiking the AT seems a bit broad for them and not inline with the "true adventure" type tales they've been running lately.

there's only 8 readers outa 18,000 WB memmbers. :D Cosmoplitan mag is much better. each issue gives a gal 30 ways to bang her lover. BP gives you 30 ways eat friggin ramen. :banana

Datto
06-12-2008, 23:35
Backpacker Magazine has no idea how well those Kotex pads worked out for me. That idea made the whole yearly subscription worth it.

Datto

PS: Use the Butterflies Luke.

Appalachian Tater
06-12-2008, 23:55
Email me at [email protected] if you have something to share.

An address like cableone.net, he's probably a freelance editor/writer.Unless he's impersonating the Northwest Editor for the magazine, he is whom he says he is.

http://www.backpacker.com/masthead/

http://www.aldha.org/lanza3.htm

http://www.aldha.org/images/lanza.jpg

River Runner
06-12-2008, 23:58

Um, Pokey, did you realize Blissful IS a professional writer?

Pokey2006
06-13-2008, 00:11
Um, Pokey, did you realize Blissful IS a professional writer?

Ya, so am I. Has nothing to do with it. And I wasn't slamming Blissful or anything. Just noting that readers don't really want to read something written by a hiker. Which was what she was saying -- that a hiker should do the writing, not a writer. I'm all about letting the guy do his job.

Mags
06-13-2008, 09:31
Which was what she was saying -- that a hiker should do the writing, not a writer. I'm all about letting the guy do his job.

What??!?! You don't want to read about what flavor pop tarts someone had in a shelter? Or what kind of ointment someone put on their rash? Or who partied with who? Sheesh.. ;)

Pokey2006
06-13-2008, 09:57
Man, we got that already. It's called Trailjournals. Put a stop to it!

envirodiver
06-13-2008, 09:58
I like to read the magazine, always have the most recent issue in my bathroom. Those that have experience backpacking can read the articles and yes pick them to pieces. If you're looking for detailed information for the experienced backpacker that is probably not the source. The Newb can get some good ideas there. Evediently some bad ones too (no tent or other shelter? LOL)

Like anything else you can't blindly believe everything that you read. I get some good ideas in there from time to time on recipes, trail fixes, ideas for trails in areas that I'm not familiar with. I'd still rather read about backpacking, even if I don't agree with all of it, than many other things.

Professionals don't always agree with what is written in their trade journals either. Cause thay know enough to ba able to disagree.

What really POs me about backpacker is that they start sending me resubscription notices 8 months before the expiration.

A-Train
06-13-2008, 14:39
It was a decent read, but it was so obvious that the writer was out to make Tapon look bad. The bias was too blatant

I just read that article in Barnes and Noble. Geez, what a depressing article. Leave it to BP to turn two guys amazing journey's into a competition. Totally didn't get the essence of the adventures. Rather than putting them up against one another, he should have just celebrated their individual accomplishments.

It was obvious the author didn't care much for Magoo aka Tapon. However, it WAS appalling the guy didn't even make mention of another hiker doing the yo-yo at the same time, when the guy was sitting in the front row!!
And lastly, his comment about not wanting an asterisk in the "record books" was assinine.

wilconow
06-13-2008, 14:47
I just read that article in Barnes and Noble. Geez, what a depressing article. Leave it to BP to turn two guys amazing journey's into a competition. Totally didn't get the essence of the adventures. Rather than putting them up against one another, he should have just celebrated their individual accomplishments.

It was obvious the author didn't care much for Magoo aka Tapon. However, it WAS appalling the guy didn't even make mention of another hiker doing the yo-yo at the same time, when the guy was sitting in the front row!!
And lastly, his comment about not wanting an asterisk in the "record books" was assinine.

Yeah I totally came away not liking Tapon, but I also felt I was being led in that direction too much.

There are a lot of grey areas.. you say that the article made it into a competition, but the two guys were clearly fighting to finish first, correct? I may be off, but I seem to remember that while the ex-mormon guy wasn't as competitive as Tapon, he still clearly wanted to "win".

I remember a few years back they had an inspiring article on Scott Williamson doing the PCT yo-yo.. something to do with a friend who was murdered.. but if that content is not there, you can't manfacture it, you know?

Mags
06-13-2008, 14:59

I never met Tapon, don't know him, I've only "talked" to him via e-mail a handful of times.

Having said that, here's his response to the article:

http://www.francistapon.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=47

I'll just say I disagree with TF's take on the CDT yo-yo and leave it at that.

I have met the Onion. Really nice, chill guy.

Two different people; two different reasons for being out there.