PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks vs Coffee

rdpolete
06-11-2008, 11:20
Just wondering how many fellow hikers out there use energy drinks either in replacement of coffee or in conjunction with coffee, and if you do use an energy drink which product do you use?

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 11:26
If you have a caffeine addiction and withdrawal symptoms, get caffeine tablets from the drugstore if you don't want to make coffee on the trail and don't want to carry the weight of caffeinated drinks.

Alligator
06-11-2008, 11:56
Some of the drink powders have caffeine in them also and they are light. I suspect that the amount of caffeine does not compare to coffee and energy drinks though.

JAK
06-11-2008, 12:00
My energy drink is tea with milk and honey.

the goat
06-11-2008, 12:04
My energy drink is tea with milk and honey.
you pansy.:D

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 12:05
over-priced, nasty tasting and they don't do **** for ya. just drink o.j.

the goat
06-11-2008, 12:06
over-priced, nasty tasting and they don't do **** for ya. just drink o.j.
are you referring to coffee or energy drinks?

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 12:07
the latter

JAK
06-11-2008, 12:12
you pansy.:DSometimes I throw in some sticks and stuff.

bigcranky
06-11-2008, 12:16
Chocolate covered espresso beans are great when I don't want to make coffee.

max patch
06-11-2008, 12:23
tang

if its good enough for the astronauts....

the goat
06-11-2008, 12:42
the latter

but if you're trying to party late into the night, vodka tastes much better w/ redbull as opposed to coffee.

Mags
06-11-2008, 13:01
but if you're trying to party late into the night, vodka tastes much better w/ redbull as opposed to coffee.

Get a corretto. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_corretto) Delicious coffee with alcohol. The original party drink (OK..not really. But it is a good pick-me-up after a 4 hr meal....)

Tastes better than the latest energy drink. I'll stick to coffee. But I'm biased... :)

DesertMTB
06-11-2008, 13:16
Sometimes I throw in some sticks and stuff.

That's funny man!

zelph
06-11-2008, 13:16
Get a corretto. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_corretto) Delicious coffee with alcohol. The original party drink (OK..not really. But it is a good pick-me-up after a 4 hr meal....)

Tastes better than the latest energy drink. I'll stick to coffee. But I'm biased... :)

Chocolate covered expreso beans. Both needs are met in a dual purpose bean:bananaadd some raisins and you got your trail mix. Bigcranky knows his stuff.

JAK, you da man!!!!! Sticks and Stuff, Whoomph!!!!

Captain
06-12-2008, 03:26
personaly what i do is i take those "pod" premeasured coffee packs and use like 3 o 4 for each cup of coffee

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 07:32
I afford myself extra weight to carry Sunergos coffee and http://www.rei.com/product/761283

LIhikers
06-12-2008, 07:34
On a winter camping trip this past Feb., in northern MN, I was introduced to something that sounded terrible but turned out to be pretty good. It was Tang made with hot water. I know it's not coffee or an energy drink but was pretty good when the temperature was cold, below zero cold. I haven't tried it since so I have no idea how it would be in other conditions.

clicker
06-12-2008, 08:52
Since I have IBS, I cannot drink coffee anymore. On my hikes I take energy drinks because they can help restore my electrolytes after a flare up quicker than about anything else. Plus some flavors taste quite good to me. And I have had Tang made hot, not bad. In the winter I usually use the packets of hot spiced cider mix, in the evening with a little Beam after camp is set up.

Montana Mac
06-12-2008, 10:11
On a winter camping trip this past Feb., in northern MN, I was introduced to something that sounded terrible but turned out to be pretty good. It was Tang made with hot water. I know it's not coffee or an energy drink but was pretty good when the temperature was cold, below zero cold. I haven't tried it since so I have no idea how it would be in other conditions.

I am a guide and in hunting camp it gets cold (minus 30s). Even though I don't drink it a lot of the clients like hot tang with a shot of whiskey in it. I drink the tang w/o the whiskey not that I'm against drinking - I just don't like whiskey.

Appalachian Tater
06-12-2008, 10:22
I am a guide and in hunting camp it gets cold (minus 30s). Even though I don't drink it a lot of the clients like hot tang with a shot of whiskey in it. I drink the tang w/o the whiskey not that I'm against drinking - I just don't like whiskey.Are you sure they like Tang or just a hot beverage with whiskey in it because of the temperature? They might prefer a different hot beverage with whiskey in it.

Alligator
06-12-2008, 10:31
Cider is good with whiskey.

OTOH, one of the caffeinated powders I've seen is an orange flavor.

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 01:18
I go cold turkey when I hike............
but MY GOD it is good to get an ice cold diet Pepsi with lime in town. It is actually better than a beer sometimes, just for that caffeine jag.

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 01:19
BTW Hot cola is not too bad......old boat trick when the sea is cold and blowing rough.

mrc237
06-13-2008, 06:37
Nothing replaces kawfee!!!:)

LIhikers
06-13-2008, 07:08
Back when my wife and I where doing a section hike in PA we shared a shelter with a thru-hiker going by the name DaddyOh. I woke up in the morning to see him sitting at the picnic table pulling a pound bag of coffee out of his pack. Once he realized I was staring at his coffee he offered me some while he explained that fresh coffee was the one thing he had to have to enjoy his hike. I went down the hill to get us both water in exchange for 2 cups of fresh coffee.....hhhmmmmmmm GOOD

the goat
06-13-2008, 11:45

dude, that's sounds really good. i love sambuca & i love espresso.....i should really learn to mix the two.

Mags
06-13-2008, 12:00
dude, that's sounds really good. i love sambuca & i love espresso.....i should really learn to mix the two.

It is a nice post-dinner drink.

My grandfather used to have them all the time. Strong, black coffee, a bit of 'bucca (or anisette).

After soup, ravioli, braciole, spinach, salad, cold cuts, cheese, and frittata, a good cup of coffee with 'bucca went well with the wine biscuits and/or pizzelle , fruit, dried figs and nuts. (Yep..that was a typical meal at Grandma's house..and almost EVERY Sunday. :eek:)

As I said, much better than vodka and red bull. Esp with the food that preceded it. ;)

CherrypieScout
06-13-2008, 12:26
for energy without the caffeine - Emergen-C lots of vitamins and such better for you and lighter weight than powdered Gateraid
for caffeine: Folgers coffee tea bags; Taster's Choice single servings (although no real coffee drinker would consider Taster's Choice) : Caffeine Energy gum with guarana and ginseng
I am addicted to caffeine and take my coffee seriously. If I don't want to heat water in the mornings, I drop a coffee tea bag into a nalgene of water.

ThrashHammer
06-13-2008, 12:37
I always prefer hot tang, both in the morning and night. It always does a body good.

Monkeywrench
06-13-2008, 13:45

You didn't finish the recipe. The complete recipe is hot tang with a shot of bourbon.