PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Pole

Gumbi
06-11-2008, 12:25
I am somewhat new to backpacking and want to try poles. My question for you is, for those of you who have poles, what did you look for in a pole when buying your poles and why did you want those features?

Freeleo
06-11-2008, 12:27
http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,OLY-GA448P-3.html?cm_mmc=googlebase-_-Products-_-PPC-_-OLY-GA448P-3

:p

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 12:32
1. Durability
2. Light weight
3. Comfortable grip

Durability includes resistance to breaking while bending as well as a strong locking mechanism so they don't collapse on you. This is by far the most important thing to look for as you can really get hurt if they break or collapse when you are really relying on them.

Depending on your needs, you can get the $10 hiking poles from Wally World if you're not sure you want to use them. Where you live you could probably get ski poles at a thrift shop if you don't mind them not collapsing and can find the right length. (Arms at side, elbow at right angle, forearm parallel to ground)

Normally I don't adjust the length of my poles uphill vs. downhill but change my hand placement on the grip.

deeddawg
06-11-2008, 12:56
Another question: One pole or two?

I use an older version of this REI Hiker Staff (http://www.rei.com/product/745686). I switch hands depending on terrain, trail, mood, etc. I've tried dual poles; quite used to them from cross country skiing (many years ago) but I just prefer the single pole for hiking.

Added benefit - top piece unscrews exposing a 1/4-20 thread that lets me use it as a monopod for my camera. With the staff stuck into decent ground and a light camera it even will stand on its own for a self portrait. ;)

bigcranky
06-11-2008, 13:19
I hiked with one pole for a long time -- a six foot piece of bamboo. Then I tried a pair of trekking poles, and retired the bamboo. For me, one pole was good and two are better.

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 13:21
Two for sure to start out. Then if you want to use one, you can. Same as learning to drive with a stick shift.

Gumbi
06-11-2008, 13:25
What kind of grips do guys prefer?

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2008, 13:34
http://www.leki.com/Trekking/PoleBasics/

Bamboo Brian
06-11-2008, 13:38
I started out with no poles and have progressed to the bigcranky method cited above --- bamboo pole (one). Can be freshly cut, custom-sized (both length and diamter), and it is free! I am a big propoent of dirtbagging! I am not particularly "green" (I work in the "evil" chemical industry), but this is a renewable resource, too!!

BobTheBuilder
06-11-2008, 13:39
Gumbi - I'm a huge fan of hiking poles. No poles, and my knees can't take it. Two poles, my knees are fine. I suggest trying the WalMart version, made by the Swiss Army Knife people, $10 each. I got my first pair there to try them out. I put about 150 miles on them, then upgraded to some slightly lighter but substantially more expensive Leki's. I still have the old pair, and they worked just fine.

mnof1000v
06-11-2008, 14:05
I can't even begin to count the number of times my trekking poles saved me from nasty falls on the trail. I am very clumsy, and I fall a lot anyways, but the poles prevented serious injury several times.

They also were a great benefit when hiking up some long climbs. They do tend to be useless on some extremely steep terrain, but most of the time, it's like having a second set of legs.

ChinMusic
06-11-2008, 14:10
Somewhere LW is sneezing.

4eyedbuzzard
06-11-2008, 14:26
I hiked with a pole once. I think his name was Stashu.

What? It's pithy day here on WB. LW, the King of pithiness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38001), started it this morning

Summit
06-11-2008, 18:44
Two polls, without anti-shock (firmer and less to go wrong), aluminum is stronger, heavier, and cheaper - carbon fiber is weaker, lighter, and more expensive . . . I went with aluminum after breaking a carbon fiber poll on my first hike, grips should be non-plastic. Trekking polls are great, saving the knees and breezing you up steep assents!

NICKTHEGREEK
06-11-2008, 18:47
What kind of grips do guys prefer?
Foam then cork