PDA

View Full Version : PA camping

twilight
02-16-2004, 23:39
Anyone know of any tenting spots between Rausch Gap shelter and Peters Mtn shelter???

Twilight :jump

Skyline
02-17-2004, 00:39
If you don't mind camping near a road you could stealth-camp near Rt. 325, near Clark Creek. It's actually near a Game Commission parking lot. I think you could probably get fairly out of sight when it's greened up, by going downstream a bit.

If the creek water isn't that good, there is supposed to be a spring about a quarter mile north on the A.T.

c.coyle
02-17-2004, 07:44
If you don't mind camping near a road you could stealth-camp near Rt. 325, near Clark Creek. It's actually near a Game Commission parking lot. I think you could probably get fairly out of sight when it's greened up, by going downstream a bit.

If the creek water isn't that good, there is supposed to be a spring about a quarter mile north on the A.T.

The AT at Route 325 / Clark Creek is in State Game Lands, where camping is officially prohibited, except at designated sites. However, I was there a half dozen times last summer, and people were always camping openly, right off the AT, a couple hundred yards or so across the creek (trail north) from the Game Commission lot. I don't think the Game Commission is real aggressive in enforcing no camping.

Clark Creek is clean, although I myself would treat to be safe. It's just downstream from the DeHart Dam, which supplies water to Harrisburg.

We also saw tenters last fall near the junction of the AT and the Shikellimy Trail, which is about 3 miles north of Peter's Mountain Shelter, and south of 325.

jamarshall
02-17-2004, 19:17
I did that section last spring and managed to do the 17.5 miles without any problem. I had considered camping near Clark's Creek, but it just seemed too close to the road for me. The trail follows quite a few wood's roads, so it's a nice walk.

c.coyle
02-18-2004, 08:30
I did that section last spring and managed to do the 17.5 miles without any problem ...... The trail follows quite a few wood's roads, so it's a nice walk.

Right. Once you're done with the climb from 325, you're on the ridge the whole way. And, Rausch Gap Shelter is in a beautiful, quiet spot, with a very reliable spring, 15' from the shelter. There are good places to tent nearby.

retread
03-09-2004, 01:32
There are good tentsites at Yellow Springs Village site. This is a really neat place with old stone building foundations all over the place. Used to be a mailbox there set on a post right on the trail. Better tent sites are uphill and to the west of the A.T. Water source is in a gully just south of the village and is "iffy" in dry seasons.

I personally tented across the creek from the dirt parking lot on 325 on my thruhike because a buddy of mine was picking me up the next morning for the weekend. There were 4 of us in our own tents and plenty of room for all. It was pouring frickin raining and I was glad to pitch under the dense firs. It was quiet but it would maybe be different on a warm weekend or during hunting season.

c.coyle
03-09-2004, 08:21
There are good tentsites at Yellow Springs Village site. This is a really neat place with old stone building foundations all over the place. Used to be a mailbox there set on a post right on the trail.

It's still there:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2076&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Just like 325, Yellow Springs is in State Game Lands 211, where camping is officially prohibited, but I doubt you'd get hassled because it's so remote. I'd also avoid the area during hunting season.

cabalot
03-09-2004, 23:56
There are good tentsites at Yellow Springs Village site. This is a really neat place with old stone building foundations all over the place. Used to be a mailbox there set on a post right on the trail. Better tent sites are uphill and to the west of the A.T. Water source is in a gully just south of the village and is "iffy" in dry seasons.

I personally tented across the creek from the dirt parking lot on 325 on my thruhike because a buddy of mine was picking me up the next morning for the weekend. There were 4 of us in our own tents and plenty of room for all. It was pouring frickin raining and I was glad to pitch under the dense firs. It was quiet but it would maybe be different on a warm weekend or during hunting season.

would this site be a party place for local boys? i here PA has more trouble than other states because shelters are near trailheads? i like my solitude.

c.coyle
03-10-2004, 07:48
would this site be a party place for local boys? i here PA has more trouble than other states because shelters are near trailheads? i like my solitude.

There's no shelter at 325, just a parking lot at the creek. I've never seen any signs of partying.

Yellow Springs Village itself is about 6 1/2 miles from 325, which is the nearest public road. And, the first 3 miles or so from 325 is a pretty good climb up a rutted old fire road. Tough place to haul party supplies to.

The whole stretch between 325 and Swatara Gap (72) is pretty remote and usually real quiet. No views from the AT, but peaceful. Lots of interesting side trails, including one to a third ghost town, Cold Spring. Nice shelter at Rausch Gap. This is an area I hike over and over.

Crash
03-10-2004, 09:07
thanx for the info.
I've been to Rausch Gap Shelter but not any further south.

VWBUB67
03-10-2004, 21:58
Anyone know of any tenting spots between Rausch Gap shelter and Peters Mtn shelter???

I had the same question last year. This is the reply I received.

many suitable dry camps on top stoney and sharp mts. starting about 10 mi. east of peters mt. shelter. pa state game lands permit camping along the corridor but must camp a specified distance from springs and creeks. not sure but i think it is a couple hundred feet. most springs are good but a couple show the orange stain indicating mine drainage. also rausch run has high mine acid level. i dont know if that will hurt you but i fill up elsewhere. lately the spring has been dry at rausch gap shelter, but much rain has fallen here this last two weeks so i'm sure spring is at it again. side trips to the bottom of the valley will reward the quiet hiker with encounters with deer, turkey, grouse, fox and black bear. also a very loud owl. the creek has a wild population of brook trout also though it has been having a difficult time competeing with the larger stocked trout. not sure when you're doing this section but in summer saw the biggest rattler i've ever seen on the trail where it follows the cinder rail bed. not sure if this is what you were looking for, but you will find a few nice flat spots with fire rings and many spots suitable for a stealth/notrace type camp. rifle season for deer runs dec. 2 thru dec 14, wear orange and stay on the trail!

Happy Trails.

VWBUB67

twilight
03-10-2004, 23:18
I have this section planned as a late May trip!

A-Train
03-10-2004, 23:44
Twilight,

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question very well but the 17 miles is a very easy section. Some people worry a bit because of the huge gap between shelters but this is truely a pretty flat walk. I would recommend camping under the trees at the turn off to the Rausch Gap shelter instead of visiting the shelter. If you are going south, peters mtn is a really nice shelter and a good goal to push for. I do remember camping spots vaguely and you shouldn't have a problem finding something. Just watch the ghosts!

slabfoot
03-11-2004, 16:52
please note that May 1 to 29 is PA's spring turkey season. this area is well populated with turkey and pretty well hunted. red, white, browns,and blue colors have been cofused by hunters calling in the big birds and looking for any sign of the turkey's color or movement. please stay close to the corridor and some bright orange is helpful. the hunters are pretty well cammoed and working turkey calls in the early morn to about noon i beleive. This is a great area to hike through but let us remember that PA hunter dollors purchased the land and agreed to keep it open to joint outdoor use. I hike here all the time and have seen quite a few hunters and have not had a problem.

regards,
bill

(note:springs are running fine all over this area)

Crash
03-12-2004, 09:14
I plan on hammocking that section next weekend of March 19.
anyone else going out then too?