PDA

View Full Version : mid-August 5-Day PCT section hike in OR

tlbj6142
06-11-2008, 15:48
In mid-August, my father will be returning, after a family wedding, with my brother (currently on the PCT) to Portland, OR for a 4-6 day section hike (50-90 miles) along the PCT. My father may rent a car or they may get a ride from one of my brother's friends that lives in Portland.

Any recommendations?

A-Train
06-11-2008, 17:06
48 miles from Timberline Lodge to Cascade Locks is nice. Start with a FABULOUS all-you-can-eat breakfast at the Lodge, where the Shining was filmed. You semi-circumvent Mt Hood, and go past Ramona Falls and the famous Eagle Creek trail into Cascade Locks, which has a nice hostel and pub, and motels. Easy to get a lift into Portland.

Another choice is Santiam Pass (near Sisters OR) to Timberline Lodge. About 100 miles. The first half of this hike is very scenic, going past 3 fingered Jack, with good views to Washington. You then enter Jefferson park, with great views of the mountain, one of the most underated section of PCT. You have a shotty resupply, more suited for snacks at Olallie Lake, which is gorgeous.

Either way you can't go wrong. Miles click quickly in both sections.

Sly
06-11-2008, 21:49
Word is Olallie Lake resort will be closed this year.

chris
06-12-2008, 11:03
Yeah, Santiam Pass to Timberline is pretty killer. Jefferson Park is amazing, but the northern reaches, beyond Ollalie and before Timberline, is a bit dull. Unfortunately, Oregon is the only place without mile after mile of drop dead gorgeous scenery. Instead, it comes in chunks. But, Jefferson Park is one of the best and the hiking is pretty easy overall.

tlbj6142
06-16-2008, 10:35
Thanks for the suggestions...

sarbar
06-20-2008, 20:42
The section from Timberline to the Columbia is indeed very nice.

We did it last summer in 4 days. We cut down from Indian Spring and went down to Eagle Creek and out that way.

I have the photos up on my website (under our hiking adventures).