PDA

View Full Version : Shelter or ?

Cherokee Bill
06-11-2008, 21:01
:-? Been backpacking or hiking the "AT" since 1984? Still work full-time for a living (start my 40th year 07/08) so I have not had the priviledge of a Thru, although I hope to be part of the Class of 2013, after retirement (I;ll be 66-yo) :eek:

Quick question, short answer is desired, from PAST-Thru-hikers.

If you had to do your Thru-hike all over again, would you frequent shelters, or would you use a tent the majority of the time? :confused: Why?

rafe
06-11-2008, 21:06
If you had to do your Thru-hike all over again, would you frequent shelters, or would you use a tent the majority of the time? :confused: Why?

Never through-hiked (did long sections...) I used shelters about 1/2 the time, tented the rest of the time. I predict with 100% certainty that you will soon see a post on this thread with the expression, "Shelters suck." It's a given.

Cherokee Bill
06-11-2008, 21:09
Never through-hiked (did long sections...) I used shelters about 1/2 the time, tented the rest of the time. I predict with 100% certainty that you will soon see a post on this thread with the expression, "Shelters suck." It's a given.

Terrapin, you are a "WB" icon :banana

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 21:28
:-? Been backpacking or hiking the "AT" since 1984? Still work full-time for a living (start my 40th year 07/08) so I have not had the priviledge of a Thru, although I hope to be part of the Class of 2013, after retirement (I;ll be 66-yo) :eek:

shelters are wonderful for people who are afraid of the earth and being alone. this describes 95% of thru-hikers. why spend a night in a box crammed with 8-12 others with mice, dirt, and filth when you have thousands of acres around you to lay out in a tent or on the bare ground in total privacy? so if i were you i'd tent, hammock, tarp, etc. 100% of the time. leave the nasty wooden boxes to the anal, by-the-book sheeple. :)

Cabin Fever
06-11-2008, 21:32
He never said shelters suck, but I think it's implied.

Cool AT Breeze
06-11-2008, 21:55
What Lone Wolf said. Staph infections and ring worm are showing up on the trail. You most likley wont get these unless you let other dirty nasty stinky hikers sleep in your tent.

minnesotasmith
06-12-2008, 00:06
The next time, plans are to tent way more. I'll mainly use shelters when the weather stinks, or when they happen to be around where I can get to when I run out of energy/daylight. I figure this will save me weeks of time.

fiddlehead
06-12-2008, 01:14
Many times the water source is near the shelters. And flat camping.
For these reasons, you will probably find yourself at least camping at the shelters if not using them. If you go SOBO, you will find many shelters empty although they are filled with mice.

So, plan on tenting. Learn to dry camp. And do a little of everything.
It won't take you long to figure out which you prefer.

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 02:40
As a non-thru and maintainer, there are number of shelters you do want to stay but a number you want to camp at or near, and a few to avoid totally.

Roan High, Overmountain, Moutaineer Falls in my section; Bald Mtn, Flint Mtn in Carolina; those I would recommend for bunkering down for the weather and view.

saimyoji
06-12-2008, 08:53
Learn to dry camp.
What do you mean, dry camp?

superman
06-12-2008, 09:03
LOL, it means no booze.:D

max patch
06-12-2008, 09:16
shelters are wonderful for people who are afraid of the earth and being alone. this describes 95% of thru-hikers. why spend a night in a box crammed with 8-12 others with mice, dirt, and filth when you have thousands of acres around you to lay out in a tent or on the bare ground in total privacy? so if i were you i'd tent, hammock, tarp, etc. 100% of the time. leave the nasty wooden boxes to the anal, by-the-book sheeple. :)

Tent because of the reasons LW mentioned as well as:

snorers, farters, hikers who arrive late, hikers who set their watch and leave early, listening to everyone get up in the middle of the night for bathroom runs, etc, etc, etc.

Nearly Normal
06-12-2008, 09:23
Shelters are good for meeting hikers and cooking out of the weather. Take a shelter of your own for sleeping.

Alligator
06-12-2008, 09:33
What do you mean, dry camp?Camp where there is no water available.

Blissful
06-12-2008, 09:38
I'd tent. Except if I know the weather is going to be bad or a storm is brewing. Even then you sometimes get soaked in shelters too if the wind is right.

Red Hat
06-12-2008, 10:09
Before 05, I planned on using my tent exclusively. But hiking reality sets in and it sure is nice to fall into a shelter at night without having to set up a tent or pack out a wet tent in the morning.... I'll probably use shelters most of the time on my SOBO, but I have my rainbow tarptent for times when the shelters get crowded and I'm the last one in. (I am slow and usually the last one in camp)

Wags
06-12-2008, 10:12

well you got like 2 answers to the question you asked

rafe
06-12-2008, 10:18
No offense to the OP, but it's a silly question. First off, there's no need to decide in advance. In fact, there's no need to decide 'till you get there, and even then, you can change your mind at any time. Second... well, why would anyone else's opinion matter?

One thing's for sure, and that is the need for a personal shelter -- tarp, hammock, tent, bivy, whatever. Shelter could be full, or maybe it just doesn't fit your itinerary that day... there could be lots of reasons you can't (or simply don't want to) use a shelter.

Pootz
06-12-2008, 10:39
I thru hiked in 07, and used shelters most of the time. If I thru hiked again I would still use the shelters. Reasons I like the shelters:

Comradery
shelters are usually near a water source
No tent to set up and put away
No setting up a tent in the rain and putting it away wet

You will still need to carry some kind of shelter either way for times when the shelters are full. Most of the time there will be room in the shelter. Your age will not be a problem, just keep in shape. One of the guys I thur hiked with was in his 60's and he had no problems.

Good luck with your 2013 thru hike.

P.S. Do not pay to much attention to Lone Wolf, he pretty mush hates everything.

Mags
06-12-2008, 10:57
Eat and socialize at the shelters at night.

When it comes time to go to sleep, walk to your tent a bit off into the woods.

It is a nice compromise between the social aspect of hiking the AT and maintaining privacy.

bigcranky
06-12-2008, 11:59
Mags' suggestion is a good one. Let me go a little further and suggest that you stop in at a shelter for dinner, water, and socializing, then continue hiking for an hour or two before you stop, set up your tent/tarp/hammock/bivy sack/whatever and sleep for the night.

This works better for solo hikers or couples, not so well for large groups. But it has some advantages: you get to talk with other hikers, use a table for dinner, get out of the rain to cook, get (usually) easy access to water, and then get to knock out a couple more miles and sleep away from the noisy/smelly crowds, mice, bears, etc.

Just a suggestion, but it's a technique that I've enjoyed using.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 12:04

snorers, farters, hikers who arrive late, hikers who set their watch and leave early, listening to everyone get up in the middle of the night for bathroom runs, etc, etc, etc.

don't forget dogs too. pain in the ass mutts!

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 12:06
I thru hiked in 07, and used shelters most of the time. If I thru hiked again I would still use the shelters. Reasons I like the shelters:

Comradery
shelters are usually near a water source
No tent to set up and put away
No setting up a tent in the rain and putting it away wet

You will still need to carry some kind of shelter either way for times when the shelters are full. Most of the time there will be room in the shelter. Your age will not be a problem, just keep in shape. One of the guys I thur hiked with was in his 60's and he had no problems.

Good luck with your 2013 thru hike.

P.S. Do not pay to much attention to Lone Wolf, he pretty mush hates everything.
you pretty much have no sense of humor type A man :)

paradoxb3
06-12-2008, 12:40
No offense to the OP, but it's a silly question. First off, there's no need to decide in advance. In fact, there's no need to decide 'till you get there, and even then, you can change your mind at any time. Second... well, why would anyone else's opinion matter?

One thing's for sure, and that is the need for a personal shelter -- tarp, hammock, tent, bivy, whatever. Shelter could be full, or maybe it just doesn't fit your itinerary that day... there could be lots of reasons you can't (or simply don't want to) use a shelter.

terrapin OBVIOUSLY isnt one of the "cool" people who read backpacker mag. ANYONE who isnt a total 'sniffer knows to "ditch the tent" and stay in the shelters EXCLUSIVELY..... :rolleyes: keep carrying your 6lb tent, terrapin :D

superman
06-12-2008, 13:03
More dogs less people is my motto. I like dogs too much to make them stay in the people infested shelters.
Carrying a personal shelter is not difficult. It's not like you have to be superman to do it.

Footslogger
06-12-2008, 13:10

====================================

My preference would be tent, most or all of the time but the honest answer to your question is "it depends" - - mainly on the weather. The year of my thru (2003) it was a tad on the damp side and a dry night now and then in a shelter was welcomed. I stayed in way more shelters than I would have it hadn't been raining so much. Just got tired of setting up/taking down/carrying a wet tent.

'Slogger

Incahiker
06-12-2008, 14:11
I think this is related to this post, especially about when to choose a shelter over a tent. Exactly how does one set up a tent in the rain??

Does one just set it up as quickly as possible, and then get in there with a towel and mop all the water out of it?

deeddawg
06-12-2008, 14:31
Some will set up a freestanding tent in the shelter then carry it out in the rain to their tent site. ;)

However, the usual method is lay out the tent rain fly, then set up the tent underneath it. Can be tricky depending on the tent -- i.e. a good thing to practice doing before the day you really need it.

rafe
06-12-2008, 14:36
I think this is related to this post, especially about when to choose a shelter over a tent. Exactly how does one set up a tent in the rain??

Short answer: Quickly. Most modern backpacking tents can be set up in two or three minutes or less, with a bit of practice. Someone here on WB posted a video of a Tarptent setup (a Contrail, IIRC) in less than 60 seconds.

Does one just set it up as quickly as possible, and then get in there with a towel and mop all the water out of it?

There's no need to ever have water inside the tent. If it's a single-walled tent, you just put it up. If it's double walled, have it packed so the fly is on top. That way, when you unroll it, the fly is protecting the main compartment of the tent.

It helps also if the tent is carried outside the pack, for obvious reasons.

rafe
06-12-2008, 14:39
terrapin OBVIOUSLY isnt one of the "cool" people who read backpacker mag. ANYONE who isnt a total 'sniffer knows to "ditch the tent" and stay in the shelters EXCLUSIVELY..... :rolleyes: keep carrying your 6lb tent, terrapin :D

Well, you know what's funny -- the weekend that I carried that tent... I never used it. Stayed at Kinsman shelter. Nice crew there, had a great time.

wilconow
06-12-2008, 14:54
I think there's not much of a reason to worry about having to set up your tent in a fierce downpour.

1. You should have good raingear for yourself and your pack. Take advantage of this and keep hiking until the storm dies down at least a little bit. How long do heavy downpours last? Usually not long. Moving under the trees is not that bad.

2. If for whatever reason, you find yourself setting up a tent in a downpour, you should be able to set it up completely within a few minutes. Keep your raingear on and make sure your gear is protected.

Some water will get in your tent. Unless it's in that dangerous 40 degee range, it's not that big of a deal. Just keep the important things protected. Once you got the tent set up, hunker down, take out fleece or whatever.. probably a good idea to keep the sleeping bag under wraps. Most tent material should dry quickly

I have firsthand experience of situation #2 - on my recent trip on the Art Loeb Trail, I was almost at the balds and a big storm was coming. Obviously I didn't want to go over the exposed area in a storm, so I began to set up my tent. It started to really come down I guess the second I took my tent out of my pack, and yes my Big Agnes Seedhouse got a little wet as I was trying my best to set it up ASAP... I just waited it out and it dried very quick. My bag and rest of gear was protected nicely in their Sea to Summit bags, within a Sea to Summit liner. The storm passed in twenty minutes and everything was dry. It was at 5500 ft and about 55 degrees out

I could see situations that could be worse, but I don't think that's all that likely, especially in the Appalachians

superman
06-12-2008, 14:58
I carried a slick rock tent in 2000. I always left the fly attached to the tent, except for the hot nights. It's a free standing tent. It was never a big deal to make it erect. When the tent was wet Winter carried it (just kidding). Carrying and using a tent, tarp, poncho or hammock is not a big deal when it's dry or wet.

Pootz
06-12-2008, 15:01

I see your sense of humor must be thin today. I was only poking humor in your direction, did not mean to get you upset. If I offended you then I am terribly sorry.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 15:03
I see your sense of humor must be thin today. I was only poking humor in your direction, did not mean to get you upset. If I offended you then I am terribly sorry.

note the :) in my post

jesse
06-12-2008, 15:08

Ray-way style tarps can be set up and down in rain, no problem. I carry the tarp and stakes in an outside pocket of my pack, for that very reason. I have packed out in light rain, probably would not do so in heavy rain. Just lay there and wait for it to let up. Laying on my air mattress beats walking.

http://www.ray-way.com/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

Incahiker
06-12-2008, 15:48
Argggg... I would love to try a tarp out so bad for solo backpacking, but I still can't get over the idea of all kinds of creepy crawlies crawling into the sleeping bag with me.

Also, how do you set up a tent with the fly on it?? The way my Pinnacle pass apex tent sets up you need to have the fly off to clip the tent onto the poles, you can't do that with the tarp on top. Then after that is done you can connect the rainfly. But during that period of time it seems like it would get pretty wet.

I know that the Seedhouse 1 I will be getting can be setup with just the footprint, but it seems like it would be impossible to work around the fly to set up the tent.

bigcranky
06-12-2008, 16:00
Incahiker, you just described some issues with using a double wall tent. Not usually a problem, but in heavy rain it can be a PITA. If you can drape the fly over the tent, and kind of work under it to clip the pole to the tent body, it can be done. Sort of.

You won't really get creepy crawlies all over you if you use a tarp. If it's that bad, make or buy a breathable sleeping bag cover/bivy sack with a lot of mesh on top. Keeps the bugs out.

gravityman
06-12-2008, 16:09
Eat and socialize at the shelters at night.

When it comes time to go to sleep, walk to your tent a bit off into the woods.

It is a nice compromise between the social aspect of hiking the AT and maintaining privacy.

EXACTLY! My wife and I had a hard time sleeping in shelters as the hike went on, but we loved the social aspect, so this is what we ended up doing.

Why a hard time sleeping? The wood is a lot harder, the hips hurt more in the shelters. It's loud. If someone is annoying it makes for a long night. Moving on after dinner is a nice idea, but once we were settled, we rarely wanted to move on, unless there was some DEET at the shelter (code name for someone that was 100% repellent).

Gravity and Danger GAME 05

jesse
06-12-2008, 16:12
Inca,
I also have a net tent that fits inside the tarp. It is fully enclosed, with sil-nylon floor. However, I only use it late Spring through early Fall. The thing I like about tarps is ventilation. You get a lot less condensation.

Cherokee Bill
06-12-2008, 19:55
He never said shelters suck, but I think it's implied.

Politically (sp) put :D

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 20:29
Wow, I agree with you. There are so many awesome campsites. I highly recomend Siler and Cheoa Bald.

rafe
06-12-2008, 20:32
Mag's notion is a good one (natch.) It's also common sense, and if you're hiking in peak season (eg. with the nobo wave outta Springer) you won't have the option of staying in shelters, because they're likely to be full. There simply are many more hikers than there are spaces in the shelters.

One of the perks of section-hiking is that you get to pick your seasons, and hike when the trail's relatively empty.

Wags
06-13-2008, 23:55
you can always fastpack pitch your tent if it's freestanding. throw your footprint down and stick in poles. place your pack on the footprint and sit in the center of it. throw rainfly over your head and hook to poles. sit underneath it until the worst passes and then pitch your tent :D

rafe
06-14-2008, 06:35
you can always fastpack pitch your tent if it's freestanding. throw your footprint down and stick in poles. place your pack on the footprint and sit in the center of it. throw rainfly over your head and hook to poles. sit underneath it until the worst passes and then pitch your tent :D

who carries a footprint? :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
06-14-2008, 07:59
====================================

The year of my thru (2003) it was a tad on the damp side and a dry night now and then in a shelter was welcomed.
'Slogger

Wasn't that the year that the thruhiker main bubble endured a stretch of something like 40 out of 42 days having major rain at one point?

ofthearth
06-14-2008, 10:15

All of the above - not a thru just got off with foot problems at Caladonea(?). Bugs were a big issue. Shelters don't have netting.

solace
06-14-2008, 10:55
Every year I hike the from Springer to the NOC... ALWAYS crowded teh shelters are.. and MOST hikers are STILL under teh "impression" its a party most of the time.. I remember 1 young man wanting to make a fire in the shelter 2 yrs ago ... While at times, the shelters can give you some company you want, good conversation, ect. There is NOTHING like the freedom to have your tent, and find your own place of solace... I my opinion, the homeless numbers have been up in years past.. and so called "thrus" are yogi-ing alot at the start.. very surprising... Ill stay around the shelter 1-2x a week for some company.. but LW hit on it well... whether its sickness or arrogance.. theres more & more each year...

rafe
06-14-2008, 11:00
You'll have the shelters to yourself if you hike off-season.

JAK
06-14-2008, 11:07
I would stay in shelters if they were empty.
I like to camp as stealthy as possible. I'm a stealthy kinda guy.

Talk peoples ear off during the day though.
Truth is, if I tried to stay in a shelter with people I would be tossed out before sundown.

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:25
95% of all statistics (real or pulled out of your azz) can be used to convey whatever point it is that you want to make.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2008, 13:27
95% of all statistics (real or pulled out of your azz) can be used to convey whatever point it is that you want to make.

put me on IGNORE crybaby :rolleyes:

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:31
And you do Lonewolf? Everything I've seen posted by you reeks of self righteousness. You seem to think you are the end all be all of trail knowledge and anyone who posts anything contrary to your narrow minded belief system is immediately attacked. I think you need to lighten up, work on your own sense of humor and let others hike their own hike.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2008, 13:33
whaaaaaaaaa......

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:37
I think Lonewolf may be afraid of human contact. This may be a good thing for all of us

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:41
95%? So thats why they choose to hike 2100 miles through the woods where they will be alone most of the time. Well kudos to those folks for facing their fears

wilconow
06-14-2008, 13:44
hey rockhound, please stop posting. thanks

Lone Wolf
06-14-2008, 13:45
hey rockhound, please stop posting. thanks

yeah, really :rolleyes:

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:56
So let me see if I'm understanding you Lonewolf. Everyone who has ever stayed in a shelter are "anal, by the book sheeple. Well I'm not going to make up a statistic to suit my own purposes but i suspect you've just insulted most of the AT community.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2008, 14:00
So let me see if I'm understanding you Lonewolf. Everyone who has ever stayed in a shelter are "anal, by the book sheeple. Well I'm not going to make up a statistic to suit my own purposes but i suspect you've just insulted most of the AT community.

less than 1% of the so-called "AT community" even reads the crap i post and the ones that do know i'm FOS. except you of course. :rolleyes:

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 15:10
noted. maybe you do have a sense of humor after all. by the way I'm FOS too. Just having fun getting a rise out of people

superman
06-14-2008, 15:58
Well holy crap, you guys aren't going to swap spit now are you?

mudhead
06-15-2008, 14:44
Well holy crap, you guys aren't going to swap spit now are you?

CA roadtrip. YEEHAW!

boarstone
06-15-2008, 15:05

If for no other reason than to keep peace.. w/o the bugs...bugging you....:eek:

Panzer1
06-15-2008, 21:30
Most of the time when I get to a shelter I first set up my tent and then go over to the shelter to cook and to socialize. I usually hang out at the shelter until people start to turn in and then I go back to my tent.

If I'm the only one at the shelter that night then I sleep in the shelter.

But normally I don't share shelters with other hikers. The exception would be in really bad rain when its a matter of safety. I think its safer to stay in the shelter in heavy rain so a tree or a large tree branch doesn't fall on my tent with me in it.

Panzer (the antisocial)

Lone Wolf
06-15-2008, 21:33
Most of the time when I get to a shelter I first set up my tent and then go over to the shelter to cook and to socialize.

If I'm the only one at the shelter that night then I sleep in the shelter.

why? do you miss your 4 walls? you're not not comfortable laying on the ground obviously. sad.