PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout camp hit by tornado.

Heater
06-11-2008, 21:29
Apparent tornado strikes Iowa boy scout camp

LITTLE SIOUX, Iowa — An apparent tornado has struck a boy scout camp in western Iowa.
A dispatch operator with the Harrison County Sheriff's Office would not confirm reports of injuries but said first responders were at the camp site and more were en route.
The Little Sioux Scout Ranch is located in rural western Iowa, about one hour north of Omaha, Nebraska.

Article from the Austin American Statesman

Last news, 20 injuries.

rafe
06-11-2008, 21:33
I hope they were... prepared.

DAKS
06-11-2008, 21:50
according to the weather channel, 4 confirmed dead and 30-40 injured. very sad.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 21:52

Cute. A bunch of boy scouts are in the path of one of nature's freak events, many injured, who knows how serious, and they probably are still sorting out who did what right or what they could have done better and you are making light of it. Cute. :rolleyes:

OK. And now 4 confirmed dead. Sheesh.

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 21:52
Very sad indeed considering the comments in this thread.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 21:57
Oh, I know. This time he is just way over the top.

I am an assistant scout master myself and I know what scout leaders go through and this crap don't belong in this thread, if anywhere.

oops56
06-11-2008, 21:58
If you dont know it coming not much you can do.and if you do see it where to go or hide find a hole in the ground like a root celler like we all got one right:-?

Lone Wolf
06-11-2008, 21:59

dude. W T F?

Ender
06-11-2008, 22:03
Amazingly sad news.

DAKS
06-11-2008, 22:04
reported by the weather channel, many of the injured are reported to have head injuries. doesn't sound good at all.

rafe
06-11-2008, 22:05
Excuse me, concern trolls. The headline I read says, "Flooding Overwhelms the Midwest." Where's your concern for all the other victims? And while you're at it, please explain what any of it has to do with the Appalachian Trail or long-distance hiking?

cavedive2
06-11-2008, 22:06

*** somethings are better off not said

Skidsteer
06-11-2008, 22:10
Excuse me, concern trolls. The headline I read says, "Flooding Overwhelms the Midwest." Where's your concern for all the other victims? And while you're at it, please explain what any of it has to do with the Appalachian Trail or long-distance hiking?

Boy Scouts hike. On the A.T.

Quite a bit, in case you hadn't noticed.

Heater
06-11-2008, 22:11

This thread I started and the article I quoted are not about the "flooding" an I thought I put it in the general section.

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 22:12
This thread I started and the article I quoted are not about the "flooding" an I thought I put it in the general section.

I just confirmed it by reading the entire page myself and it says nothing concerning flooding and it is in the general section.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 22:12

Ender
06-11-2008, 22:13
Excuse me, concern trolls. The headline I read says, "Flooding Overwhelms the Midwest." Where's your concern for all the other victims?

No it doesn't.

And while you're at it, please explain what any of it has to do with the Appalachian Trail or long-distance hiking?

Stop being a dick. These are real people in real pain... not something to be made light of.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 22:14
Boy Scouts hike. On the A.T.

Quite a bit, in case you hadn't noticed.

AND they share a common bond with AT hikers - hiking and the outdoors. But his comments about people's reactions to his be prepared comment are not even close to cleaning up after himself. Actually, he dug the hole much deeper.

drastic_quench
06-11-2008, 22:14
If you dont know it coming not much you can do.and if you do see it where to go or hide find a hole in the ground like a root celler like we all got one right:-?

Man, don't take this as an attack, but I can barely parse your comment. What's with the grammar?

Heater
06-11-2008, 22:18
I have had two windows open at the same time and accidentally posted to the wrong thread. I'll give Terrapin the benefity of the doubt here because I really do not think he would be that insensitive.

I did not see tater's deleted post so I can't comment.

I think both posts were subbed before deaths were reported.

--

This is very sad news. :(

rafe
06-11-2008, 22:20

That is correct; CNN reported 20 injured and no confirmed deaths. My last post on this thread. Outta here.

Skidsteer
06-11-2008, 22:21
AND they share a common bond with AT hikers - hiking and the outdoors. But his comments about people's reactions to his be prepared comment are not even close to cleaning up after himself. Actually, he dug the hole much deeper. Is Dillweed a banned word?

Apparently not. But let's remember this thread is in general and I'd like to get some sleep tonight, OK?

Blissful
06-11-2008, 22:21
This is so sad and tragic.

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2008, 22:27
Thank you for bringing this tragic event to the folks here at WB, Some how I missed that story at CNN, I am in you debt.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 22:28
Apparently not. But let's remember this thread is in general and I'd like to get some sleep tonight, OK?

Skids, I removed the non-banned word from my post. I won't give ya any more trouble here ...even if the offender doesn't want to admit his remarks are insensitive, to put it mildly, regardless of whether there were deaths or mere injuries. People can plainly make their own call on these things.

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 22:31
I have had two windows open at the same time and accidentally posted to the wrong thread. I'll give Terrapin the benefit of the doubt here because I really do not think he would be that insensitive.

I wouldn't let him off that easy.

Skidsteer
06-11-2008, 22:33
Skids, I removed the non-banned word from my post. I won't give ya any more trouble here ...even if the offender doesn't want to admit his remarks are insensitive, to put it mildly, regardless of whether there were deaths or mere injuries. People can plainly make their own call on these things.

Thanks.

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 22:33

I wouldn't be that tough on him, either. Ever hear of black humor? It's not all that unheard of. And not the most horrible thing in the world. Ease up, guys.

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 22:35
I wouldn't be that tough on him, either. Ever hear of black humor? It's not all that unheard of. And not the most horrible thing in the world. Ease up, guys.

OK, so children are horribly injured and now we hear dead; and we are OK with having a good laugh about it? Maybe not the most horrible thing in the world, but tasteless and tactless nonetheless.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 22:36

He claims to have left the thread. And leaving his posts the way he has, at least so far, says enough about who he is. No need to pile on at this point. Let it go.

oops56
06-11-2008, 22:38
Man, don't take this as an attack, but I can barely parse your comment. What's with the grammar?

Who's grandma mine are all gone got no grandma's

Skidsteer
06-11-2008, 22:38
He claims to have left the thread. And leaving his posts the way he has, at least so far, says enough about who he is. No need to pile on at this point. Let it go.

Right.

It can be about news and good wishes for the victims.

saimyoji
06-11-2008, 22:40

OK, so children are horribly injured and now we hear dead; and we are OK with having a good laugh about it? Maybe not the most horrible thing in the world, but tasteless and tactless nonetheless.

Given these comments I'm so curious about your trashed post early on.

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 22:42
Given these comments I'm so curious about your trashed post early on.

I can assure you it was not derogatory towards the poor souls so horribly injured and killed in this catastrophe.

I hope each and every family affected by mother nature's fury can heal and get through this with prayers and solace.

rickb
06-11-2008, 22:44

Exactly.

I am probably going to hell first anyway, because I just spent a grand on a couple bikes that I really didn't need, rather than taking the dough and saving a few kids lives in Africa.

As such, I can't really get bent out of shape for someone's comments. Not a big deal. Or shouldn't be.

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 22:46

Sure, you can have a good laugh about anything. It's a normal human response, actually. It's what the firefighters are doing in the station when they get back from the call, and what the reporters in the newsroom are doing while they're writing the story about the tragedy. It's a way to ease the tension and cope with the difficult emotions.

Having a good laugh over a little black humor, contrary to public opinion, does not in any way detract from the seriousness of the tragedy, nor the ensuing sadness. You can feel horribly about a tragedy while at the same time having a little chuckle at its expense.

But should black humor be injected into a public Internet thread? Perhaps not. I'm just saying, you guys are being a little harsh on the guy.

Pokey2006
06-11-2008, 22:47
Exactly.

I am probably going to hell first anyway, because I just spent a grand on a couple bikes that I really didn't need, rather than taking the dough and saving a few kids lives in Africa.

As such, I can't really get bent out of shape for someone's comments. Not a big deal. Or shouldn't be.

Maybe it's just that we're Massholes?

Heater
06-11-2008, 22:48
Thank you for bringing this tragic event to the folks here at WB, Some how I missed that story at CNN, I am in you debt.

Don't worry about it. Just an FYI. I have a boy scout in that area in the family. I am still trying to contact them. >>>busy signal<<<

DAKS
06-11-2008, 22:51
140 scouts and scouters were in the camp. a warning was issued 12 minutes prior to the tornado hitting the camp. all persons took shelter in a large building which was completely destroyed. this was a leadership training course for scouts ages 13-18 and scouters from iowa, nebraska, wisconsin and south dakota.

this is reported by the weather channel.

i personally am a bit anxious as i am originally from this area and hope that none of my scouting friends were there?

Bulldawg
06-11-2008, 22:51
Don't worry about it. Just an FYI. I have a boy scout in that area in the family. I am still trying to contact them. >>>busy signal<<<

Well I certainly pray everything is OK with him. Do you know if he is at camp? It certainly is that time of year.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 22:52
Right.

It can be about news and good wishes for the victims.

As an adult leader of boy scout trips and the father of two boy scouts, I can identify with what these folks are going through and yet, I cannot adequately express my sorrow and best wishes for the victims, families, and leaders involved in this terrible tragedy.

Heater
06-11-2008, 22:52
i personally am a bit anxious as i am originally from this area and hope that none of my scouting friends were there?

I am with you there. Fingers crossed.

DAKS
06-11-2008, 22:54
I am with you there. Fingers crossed.

keep us posted!

Phlashlite
06-11-2008, 22:55
kcrg.com reports fatalities

saimyoji
06-11-2008, 22:59
Sure, you can have a good laugh about anything. It's a normal human response, actually. It's what the firefighters are doing in the station when they get back from the call, and what the reporters in the newsroom are doing while they're writing the story about the tragedy. It's a way to ease the tension and cope with the difficult emotions.

Having a good laugh over a little black humor, contrary to public opinion, does not in any way detract from the seriousness of the tragedy, nor the ensuing sadness. You can feel horribly about a tragedy while at the same time having a little chuckle at its expense.

But should black humor be injected into a public Internet thread? Perhaps not. I'm just saying, you guys are being a little harsh on the guy.

Maybe it's just that we're Massholes?

As a fellow Masshole I can attest to a certain periodic lack of tact. :o

I can assure you it was not derogatory towards the poor souls so horribly injured and killed in this catastrophe.

I hope each and every family affected by mother nature's fury can heal and get through this with prayers and solace.

Got your PM and agree with your sentiments as quoted.

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 23:05
...But should black humor be injected into a public Internet thread? Perhaps not.

Well, that's the point. Victims or people related to victims, as already might be the case here (and by God, I hope not) read these threads. Doctors use black humor too... when the patient cannot hear them. Let's move on though. 'Nuff said.

RadioFreq
06-11-2008, 23:53
News reports are now that four are dead and a lot more are injured.
No word on whether the dead are kids or adult leaders.

As an adult Boy Scout leader who spends a week each summer at camp
with my troop there are no words for how much this hurts.

Prayers to all.

envirodiver
06-12-2008, 11:42

Those kids are someone's children.

Blissful
06-12-2008, 11:54
From the news account on Yahoo the scouts and their leaders were heros and they helped their fellow scouts. They were more than prepared. I am glad for that but still so sad for those who died. My hubby (a Scoutmaster) has the PLC and meeting tonight, so this will be a major topic and of course, a moment of silence.

kanga
06-12-2008, 12:03
I have had two windows open at the same time and accidentally posted to the wrong thread. I'll give Terrapin the benefity of the doubt here because I really do not think he would be that insensitive.

I did not see tater's deleted post so I can't comment.

--

That is sad. I can't imagine how scared those boys must have been. I'll be praying for them and their families.

McPick
06-12-2008, 13:03

I believe the young men in this Today Show interview will have the last word...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25113439#25113439

chief
06-12-2008, 13:24
McPick, thanks for that link.

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 19:01
I used to live in Waterloo, now they are having BIG FLOODING problems in Des Moines, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, and Iowa City.

sheepdog
06-12-2008, 19:37
I believe the young men in this Today Show interview will have the last word...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25113439#25113439
Some strong sturdy lads. If that's not a plus for scouting nothing is.
Prayers for the families.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2008, 19:56
My heart aches for the families who lost their sons. Prayers for them, the survivors and their families. Sadly, major head trauma was mentioned by law enforcement and a scouting executive. I hope the boy(s) recover fully.

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 19:59
My thoughts go out to everyone involved. That's horrible.

Thoughtful Owl
06-12-2008, 23:58
Regardless of some folks opions of scouts and the BSA, these young men are human beings and as someone pointed out, someone's children. Drills are held in camps (long term camping) within the first 24 hours of being in camp. Some camps do better at these drills than others. These scouts are basically the "cream of the crop" and knew how to respond both during and after this tragic event.

Regardless of your personally feelings our thoughts and prayers should be with the families of the 4 youth that died and with the 48 others that sustained injury.

STEVEM
06-13-2008, 16:11
Here's a photo taken earlier this week by an associate of my employer who was traveling for business near Omaha, Nebraska. Pretty scary stuff.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25497

4eyedbuzzard
06-13-2008, 16:17
Regardless of some folks opions of scouts and the BSA, these young men are human beings and as someone pointed out, someone's children... our thoughts and prayers should be with the families of the 4 youth that died and with the 48 others that sustained injury.

Nicely put.

Tipi Walter
06-13-2008, 16:42
140 scouts and scouters were in the camp. a warning was issued 12 minutes prior to the tornado hitting the camp. all persons took shelter in a large building which was completely destroyed. this was a leadership training course for scouts ages 13-18 and scouters from iowa, nebraska, wisconsin and south dakota.

this is reported by the weather channel.

I saw the news pictures last night and it got me to wondering: Would they have fared better had they stayed spread out in their tents and not clustered in the cinder block building? Probably impossible to say.