PDA

View Full Version : Good Eats in TN or around GSMNP

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 02:32
Can anyone recommend a nice little restaurant or cafe on the north side of the Smokies, somewhere in between Gatlinburg to Newport to Hot Springs? Maybe even Greeneville. Not looking for a dive or buffet or typical chain restaurant. Somewhere thats a little nice to impress ;);). How is the tourist traffic around Gatlinburg at this time? Busy?

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 04:44
try here http://dininginthesmokies.com/_cosby/aafropor.htm

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 07:35
Eat the fat townies that overrun Gatlinburg.:)

Jim Obermeyer
06-12-2008, 07:51
Fox and Hounds in Newport TN great steakhouse.

EAnderson
06-12-2008, 17:45
I have heard good things about Carver's Applehouse Restaurant in Cosby and also the Dandridge Seafood House. I haven't been to either, but they are on my "to-eat-at" list.

MOWGLI
06-12-2008, 17:53
Can anyone recommend a nice little restaurant or cafe on the north side of the Smokies, somewhere in between Gatlinburg to Newport to Hot Springs? Maybe even Greeneville. Not looking for a dive or buffet or typical chain restaurant. Somewhere thats a little nice to impress ;);). How is the tourist traffic around Gatlinburg at this time? Busy?

Pearls (http://www.pearlscafe.com/) in Monteagle, TN doesn't meet your geographic requirements, but it is one of the best restaurants within 1 hour of Chattanooga. And it will impress. Guaran-damn-teed.

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 18:58
She ;) ;) is from Cosby, but she is bored of whats there and in Newport, and wants to go elsewhere. So it looks like Greeneville.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2008, 19:37
Pearls (http://www.pearlscafe.com/) in Monteagle, TN doesn't meet your geographic requirements, but it is one of the best restaurants within 1 hour of Chattanooga. And it will impress. Guaran-damn-teed.::: Dino seen drooling and seconding this recommendation :::

Greenville, TN is quite a drive from Cosby. Have you considered the Sevierville, TN area? Roasted Pepper Cafe (http://www.discoverourtown.com/TN/local-56471.html) (Mediterranean) is one choice there.

I've also heard fabulous things about The Point (http://dininginthesmokies.com/_dandridge/dandridge_point_marina_restaurant_dandridge_tn.htm ) at the marina in Dandridge, TN, but haven't had a chance to try it for myself yet.

CrumbSnatcher
06-12-2008, 19:42
smokey mtn. diner in hot springs cheap and very good...

9 Mules
06-12-2008, 20:06
If she's from Cosby, has she tried the "Front Porch" mexican diner? Bluegrass and byob?

Jason of the Woods
06-12-2008, 20:21
The Applehouse is closed.:(
I have heard good things about Carver's Applehouse Restaurant in Cosby and also the Dandridge Seafood House. I haven't been to either, but they are on my "to-eat-at" list.

Lilred
06-12-2008, 20:24
There's the Applefarm Restaurant, previously known as the Applebarn in Pigeon Forge. Excellent food and will be sure to impress. Be sure to go to the restaurant that used to be the old farmhouse, with the long front porch.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 20:42
She ;) ;) is from Cosby, but she is bored of whats there and in Newport, and wants to go elsewhere. So it looks like Greeneville.

well g***am, come to dot's! :)

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 22:40
::: Dino seen drooling and seconding this recommendation :::

Greenville, TN is quite a drive from Cosby. Have you considered the Sevierville, TN area? Roasted Pepper Cafe (http://www.discoverourtown.com/TN/local-56471.html) (Mediterranean) is one choice there.

I've also heard fabulous things about The Point (http://dininginthesmokies.com/_dandridge/dandridge_point_marina_restaurant_dandridge_tn.htm ) at the marina in Dandridge, TN, but haven't had a chance to try it for myself yet.I suggested the area, but she is hating the tourist traffic rolling in right now. Plus Greeneville is our halfway point. I was also thinking Paddlers in Hot Springs.

well g***am, come to dot's! :)I will have to when I drag her up to Damascus. Her backyard might be the park but she never really hiked. Looks like I need to do some influencing, and turn her into a trail girl.

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 00:28
Tourists in Gatlinburg??? Has it changed since I last went there in 1975? Nice quiet little town.................good camping.

Jim Obermeyer
06-13-2008, 08:08
The General Morgan Inn is a nice place in Greenville.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2008, 08:28
Tourists in Gatlinburg??? Has it changed since I last went there in 1975? Nice quiet little town.................good camping.Yes, it was overtaken by tourists in the 1980s with advent of Dollywood and Wedding Chapels galore... it is now a tourist mecca. Traffic is awful.

deeddawg
06-13-2008, 08:56
Yeah, Gatlinburg is scary. Wasn't too bad last week when I went through there, but it's early in the season.

Still, it is the home of the Smoky Mountain Brewery... :banana

NerdyJohn
06-13-2008, 21:23
Try The Peddler in Gatlinburg. A meal for 2 can easily run over $100, but they have some of the best steaks I've ever had in the Southeast. Their salad bar is second to none... not the biggest, but the quality is excellent. Very good wine & liquor selection too.

My teenage daughter begs to go there if we're anywhere near the area.

But...as long as you're there, stay at Riverhouse At The Park. I can honestly say I've stayed at 75% of the hotels in Gatlinburg and it is by far my favorite. Prepare to open the wallet wide if you stay there. The same family also owns The Riverhouse hotel as well. It's nice too.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2008, 22:37

sounds like high maintenance

Cabin Fever
06-13-2008, 23:18
Is it just me or is Buliwyf missing the opportunity here? P-I-C-N-I-C! It doesn't get dark until 9 around here anyways.

Wilson
06-13-2008, 23:25
Her backyard might be the park but she never really hiked. Looks like I need to do some influencing, and turn her into a trail girl.

Girlfriends love to hike with you, then they become Wives and want you to mow the grass on weekends and go shopping.

Flush2wice
06-13-2008, 23:59
Ask her to take you to Fort Marx.

Lilred
06-14-2008, 09:46
Tourists in Gatlinburg??? Has it changed since I last went there in 1975? Nice quiet little town.................good camping.

I wouldn't recommend going back. Keep the memories of the way it was alive. It sucks now.

HippieHiker
06-14-2008, 13:57
deadbeat petes. thats all i gotta say haha. this place is awesome i have been their twice now. its right next to maryville, and right befor you enter GSMNP. its a southwest restraunt but the cool thing about it is everyone signs dollar bills and tacks them to the walls. their is literally hundreds of dollars on the walls in the place with a bunch of colorful designs on it. also they have a map of the united states and you can place a pin on where your from. but if you live anywhere close to TN you wont be able to find a place. they got pins from alaska, hawaii, the carribean. its a really cool place.

Tennessee Viking
06-14-2008, 23:04
Is it just me or is Buliwyf missing the opportunity here? P-I-C-N-I-C! It doesn't get dark until 9 around here anyways.
Oh thanks Cabin...but look at whats been hitting us for the last week. 90+ degree afternoons then sudden hail and thunderstorms. I just got back from the Tri State Corners with the Friday Hikers, and we got drenched on the way back.

But I am going to try to influence her in becoming a trail girl. I got some ideas. Max Patch; if the bears don't decide to crash the party. Big Creek. Paint Creek. Lovers Leap. Clingmans. Hell she lives outside the park...I am already in love..lol

dmax
06-15-2008, 00:52
The Rivers Edge just outside of Erwin can be a nice place on a weekend. They also have the cabins which could make for a nice base camp so you could drive up to Beauty Spot the next day.You could do some hiking and then maybe that good idea of a picnic.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-15-2008, 07:53
You know your lady - would a mountainwater event br her style. One of the ways this sneaky female Dino captured the elusive He-Dino heart was by taking him tubing on a 100+ degree July day. He was smitten :D

Jim Obermeyer
06-15-2008, 08:15
Here's a nice place to go and have a base camp on Max Patch. Me and my wife are going this week. It's called the Max Patch Retreat. Here's the web site.
http://www.richmountainbound.com/vacation.html

chili36
06-20-2008, 14:07
IMHO, Howards and the Bear Creek Grill are your best bets for what you described.

Howards is on the strip in Gatlinburg down near Calhoun's Plaza (close the NP end of town).

Bear Creek Grill is out on 321 toward Cosby right about where the road shanks down from 4 lane to two lane.

Both are outstanding, but a little pricey. If you go to Bear Creek, make sure you look at the hand hammered copper bar top. They used to clean it with hot sauce to keep a "new" finish on it. I am sure the acidic balance of the hotsauce stripped off the petina and oxidation very well.

Calhouns and Smoky Mountain Brewery are part of a 12 to 15 site local "chain" based in Knoxville. Alamo Steakhouse is just sort of standard fare IMHO. The Brass Lantern in Gatlinburg is a possibility, however, I don't eat there.

My two favorite places on that side of the Park (in TN) are the Front Porch or The Bean Tree Cafe (although it wasn't quite the same the last time I was there, I dont know if they have new managment or cooks, but I wasn't impressed that day).

If you come over to the Townsend side, the go the the Trail Head or the Timbers.

Hope this helps.

funkcicle
06-23-2008, 04:43
Yes, it was overtaken by tourists in the 1980s with advent of Dollywood and Wedding Chapels galore... it is now a tourist mecca. Traffic is awful.

Dollywood has actually been there since the early 1960s in different incarnations, it just took on the name when Ms. Parton invested a good bit of money into it, possibly saving it from extinction. No argument from me on the despicability of the town of Gatlinburg, but as far as theme parks go-- Dollywood is as quaint as they come. Instead of employing teens at slave wages as most parks do, they've got a lot of career employees, many of whom have been there since the 70s.. talented entertainers, engaging actors, skilled tradesman making souvenirs right in the park instead of selling dollar-store trinkets from china at NYC prices, etc. There are a lot of fine people with their lives invested into that park who give it a touch of personality that is truly unique. Been to Disney, been to King's Island, been to Universal, been to La Ronde, been to the Great Escape, been to Carowinds, been to Opryland, been to Darien Lake, been to many a Six Flags in my youth.. when I've kids ready for a theme park, they're going to Dollywood :D

Farr Away
06-23-2008, 14:05
The Applehouse is closed.:(

When did that happen?!! We just ate there (Carver's) a couple, three months ago - late April.

flemdawg1
06-23-2008, 15:17
Just the Applehouse Restaraunt or the apple market/orchard and everything?

airinpie
06-23-2008, 22:50
The Alamo in Gatlinburg. Best steaks, ever!

Farr Away
08-11-2008, 22:15
When did that happen?!! We just ate there (Carver's) a couple, three months ago - late April.

I'm happy to report that Carver's is _open_! My son and I ate there twice this weekend - once before his very first backpacking trip and then again after.

Unfortunately, Carver's went a lot better than the hiking part of the trip. He's five though, so I'm hoping he'll change his mind...

Gray Blazer
08-11-2008, 22:27
Erwin Burrito is closed. :(

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2008, 22:53
Everything turned into drama. Her back yard might be the Smokies but she wasn't into hiking.

Rain Man
08-11-2008, 22:54
If she's from Cosby, has she tried the "Front Porch" mexican diner? Bluegrass and byob?

I second that vote, though I admit he said she's from Cosby and wants some place else.

But for anyone else, try it. Owned by parents of Maria Guzman of Standing Bear Farm. She works there, if I recall.

Rain:sunMan

vibedog
08-12-2008, 15:03
i hike part of the BMT this weekend and ate at Carvers in cosby, Tn. the food was really good and homemade.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-12-2008, 15:17
Sea food in Tenn. ??????

Uncle B
08-12-2008, 15:34
Ask her to take you to Fort Marx.

Is Freddie still alive? I haven't been there since around '94. Best place for vittles and booze I've ever been to. Loved the cherry appetizers!

chili36
08-14-2008, 10:33
Erwin Burrito is closed. :(

Bummer.

Jordan5
08-16-2008, 09:28
Gatleinburg's traffic is unLAWfull iv never see so much random stuff to do in the middle of no where. (no where to the tourist not the hikes)

well if you like pankakes pigin fourge has one or 2. or maybe ever other shop is a pancake house.

Flush2wice
08-16-2008, 11:00
Is Freddie still alive? I haven't been there since around '94. Best place for vittles and booze I've ever been to. Loved the cherry appetizers!
It was still open about a year ago at least. Fred died 5 or 6 years ago.
They got busted a few times so now they are pretty careful about selling the moonshine. You have to know someone. That place is truly one of a kind. If they trusted you they would give you a "different" menu that had all their moonshine drinks on it. They would also give you free sample tastes of them in dixicups. You could get trashed on the samples.

Uncle B
08-16-2008, 13:53
It was still open about a year ago at least. Fred died 5 or 6 years ago.
They got busted a few times so now they are pretty careful about selling the moonshine. You have to know someone. That place is truly one of a kind. If they trusted you they would give you a "different" menu that had all their moonshine drinks on it. They would also give you free sample tastes of them in dixicups. You could get trashed on the samples.

My favorite part of visiting the place was when Fred's wife would come to your table to take your order and give everyone a moonshine soaked cherry for an appetizer. The cherries were almost translucent from absorbing all that hooch. It was also kinda cool to look at all the "famous" folks signed photogs up on the walls. Fred told me a story about the guy that played Roscoe or maybe it was Enis (from the Dukes of Haz) came in and partied down once. He had more than his fill drinking a bunch of "Freddy Collins". Fred's wife always made sure everyone ate something before leaving to absorb up some of the white lightnin'. That place really was a gem. Good times. Good times.

f8lranger4x4
08-16-2008, 14:21
the park grill and the pancake pantry are the best yummmmy