PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Thoughts

azchipka
02-17-2004, 06:51
I am in the process of considering buying a new sleeping bag for my trip. As my current one is kinda old and not really something I want to use for an extended trip like this.

I have thinking about this bag but would like some thoughts before i buy it.

Mountain Hardware 2nd Dimension (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47606128)

I would also like some general ideas from every of what they think about the bag selections. Going to be warm enough? Should I be looking at down, I have been avoiding it cause it useless if it gets wet? Blah Blah Blah

stormin norman
02-17-2004, 19:19
I don't know anything about the bag you are looking at but there is plenty of information here about the pros and cons of down. My opinion is down is the way to go and if take precautions to keep it from getting wet(ie waterproof stuff sack, good dry campsite, tent, etc) it will do fine. Take a look at Western Mountaineering bags, high quality, light wt, and well made, but you will pay a little more but it is worth it.

Just my thoughts

hungryhowie
02-17-2004, 23:09
Since you mentioned it...

If money isn't too much of a concern, I'd be looking exclusively at down bags, if I were you.

I'd look at 15, 20, and 30*F high-quality down bags.

The 2nd dimension is 3lbs 1oz and $185. With down, you could easily halve the weight for double the cost. Better yet, if you have a little time on your hands, you can make one yourself that weighs only 1.5 pounds and still only costs you about $150-180! There are detailed plans available for free online.

I'll give you the dissertation on down if you want it...but suffice it to say that its negative attributes are blown WAY WAY WAY out of proportion by the wealthy synthetic manufacturers' with advertising $$ to burn, and that with reasonable care (with which you should treat a synthetic bag as well) you should have no problems. The care? line your stuff sac with a small trashbag to keep in dry in the event that you go for a swim.

A high quality down bag will stay with you years after the AT. The 2nd dimension would be trashed (loft-wise) before you got to New England (when you'll need that warmth again).

I'd be looking at the Marmot Helium or Hydrogen (depending on when you'll be starting, finishing, and how cold or warm of a sleeper you are), Western Mountaineering Mega Lite or Ultralite, or making your own.

-Howie

tlbj6142
02-18-2004, 10:23
but suffice it to say that its negative attributes are blown WAY WAY WAY out of proportion by the wealthy synthetic manufacturers' with advertising $$ to burnThere are a few times when you should NOT consider down (an AT thru hike isn't one of them):

For a young child. Sleeping out in the woods can make for some strange sleeping patterns. And bed wetting can be one of them. The phyical activity and "strange" food can also lead to a bit of vomit. I'd much rather have a synthetic bag in those cases. If you make your own bag PrimaLoft is fine. If you buy one Polarguard Delta is the best on the market. Search recent BackpackingLight Yahoo! group messages for PG vs. PL discussion.
Constant cold rain with no hope of ever seeing the sun. If your are in the rain for 5+ days (like the rainy season in the PNW) the down never really gets a chance to air out. Water from the air and water from your body will result in some loss of loft. Synthetics are not affected by this as much as down.
Long winter hikes in the snow. This is really #2 all over again. While the air maybe dry, your bag will again not get much of a chance to dry out. 2-3 days and your are probably fine. But I have read several times where folks find their bags soaked in a snow cave after one night.
Some of you are proabably thinking, isn't #2 the description of an AT thru hike:D ? Well, yes. But since most folks spend a night or two in a hotel/hostel every few days, your bag does get a chance to air out. If you are in a 24x7 rain pattern for a couple of days, the first sign of sun lay out your gear to dry. The one thing about down is it seems to dry quicker than sythetics unless you have submerged the bag in a river.

NOTE: #2 and #3 can be provented in some conditions with the aid of a vapor barrier. But not many folks like the feeling.

gravityman
02-18-2004, 11:31
Long winter hikes in the snow. This is really #2 all over again. While the air maybe dry, your bag will again not get much of a chance to dry out. 2-3 days and your are probably fine. But I have read several times where folks find their bags soaked in a snow cave after one night.

I disagree with #3. Most mountianeers use down bags, and they are out weeks on end.

Jaybird
02-18-2004, 12:09
I am in the process of considering buying a new sleeping bag for my trip. As my current one is kinda old and not really something I want to use for an extended trip like this.

I have thinking about this bag but would like some thoughts before i buy it................................................ ........ Blah Blah Blah

Yo Digital Ranger:

thats a good-looking bag you got there! 15+degrees should be plenty for the whole trip...in fact....i'd suspect by mid-June or July...you'll be sleeping on top of that 15+degree bag. I'd stay with a synthetic fill (because of DOWN problems...& if its as WET as it was in 2003...youre NOT gonna keep dry!).

i have a 20degree synthetic fill bag (Wild Bill 2.0) & have never had a problem! ;)

seeya UP the trail

hungryhowie
02-18-2004, 12:37
Yo Digital Ranger:

I'd stay with a synthetic fill (because of DOWN problems...& if its as WET as it was in 2003...youre NOT gonna keep dry!).

i have a 20degree synthetic fill bag (Wild Bill 2.0) & have never had a problem! ;)

seeya UP the trail

Yo Jaybird,

Two words: El Nino

2003 probably wasn't any more wet than 2000, when I hiked the whole trail with a down bag and had no problems either. I counted more than 100 days of rain, including 30 consecutive days of rain. The first day out a fellow hiker spilled a full 70oz camelback onto my down bag. There was no loss of loft, it was fine. There have been times when large amounts of spray has blown under the shelter or my tarp soaking the outside of my bag. It was fine. There have been times in the winter when condensation inside my bivy sac has soaked the outside of my bag. It was fine. The human body emits about 3 pints of moisture each night, 95+% of which comes out of the mouth. Therefore, if you don't breath into your bag, your own body heat is usually enough to dry out the bag each night.

I know that you're one of those impossible few to convice otherwise, but goose down (which comes from WATERfowl) is really quite a capable insulation...despite what Dupont and 3M want you to think.

alas

-Howie