PDA

View Full Version : Good hike...cut short

Bear Cables
06-12-2008, 11:22
Just returned from a shortened version of our hike. Started out at NOC on Friday and hiked to Fontana. Temps were in the 90's and high humidity with NO breeze. We were told that this was unseasonal heat. Stopped at Sassafrass for rest and water but the bugs were so bad we didn't stay long. We went as far as Cheoah Bald the first day. Wow! What a climb but what a view! I was exhausted with the climb plus the heat but never regretted camping there! Headed to Brown Fork the next day. Again heat in the mid 90's. Could have been hiking in Louisiana for all that. What insane person designed that trail to Brown Fork:eek:. Anyway made it up the "hill" and enjoyed the foot soak at the end of the day.Loved the privy! Contiuned to have a good hike the next couple of days but decided that we would end at Fontana and save the section to Clingmans for cooler weather. Met Lucy our "Trail Angel" at the visitors center. The showers were locked and she drove us to Fontana village, got us each two towels and took us to the showers. We showered then ate at the Mountain View Bistro. Fine food and good wine then shuttled back to Fontana Hilton to sleep . Nancy from Hike Inn picked us up the next morning and back to NOC. Can't wait to hike the next section but hopefully not in 90 degree heat.:sunSee my gallery for pictures.

Tipi Walter
06-12-2008, 11:44
You did the section that I know the most. I've camped atop Cheoah and know well the trail north to Fontana. I guess the water was flowing pretty good around Locust Cove Gap/Cable Gap shelter/Brown Fork shelter and the spring below Walker Gap. It's hard to hike in a muggy furnace but it's all part of Miss Nature's moods.

BTW, the trail up to Brown Fork was designed BY SATAN and when you reach the top you can sit next to him by his throne and weep.

There's a high rocky narrow peak/ridge I like north of Cable Gap shelter, all rocks and heat and probably rattlesnakes. One of my favorite spots.

rafe
06-12-2008, 11:49
BTW, the trail up to Brown Fork was designed BY SATAN and when you reach the top you can sit next to him by his throne and weep.

Are you talking about the nobo climb out of "Sweetwater Gap?" If so, I quite agree.

Blissful
06-12-2008, 11:50
That is a very tough area. One I dislike, I must say. You did great. Tomorrow is another day. :)

Bear Cables
06-12-2008, 16:54
There's a high rocky narrow peak/ridge I like north of Cable Gap shelter, all rocks and heat and probably rattlesnakes. One of my favorite spots.

Oh yes! I know it well.

Bear Cables
06-12-2008, 16:55
Are you talking about the nobo climb out of "Sweetwater Gap?" If so, I quite agree.

That very one:eek:

Bear Cables
06-12-2008, 16:57
That is a very tough area. One I dislike, I must say. You did great. Tomorrow is another day. :)

Nancy from Hike Inn told us it was the hardest part of the trail of the Southern AT. Glad I hike it, won't hike it again that's for sure!

Sleepy the Arab
06-12-2008, 19:32
Anyway made it up the "hill" and enjoyed the foot soak at the end of the day.Loved the privy!

Did...did you soak your feet in the privy? Dude...

Pedaling Fool
06-12-2008, 21:01
...What insane person designed that trail to Brown Fork:eek:. Anyway made it up the "hill" and enjoyed the foot soak at the end of the day.Loved the privy!....
Yeah, of all the privies, I think Brown Fork Gap Shelter has one of my favorite (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14207&c=member&imageuser=6936)

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 00:40
Hell you got to meet Nancy.......what more you want?
And the newer view at Stecoah Gap (where the two concrete tables are when you cross NC143) is the bomb.

Bear Cables
06-13-2008, 12:27
Did...did you soak your feet in the privy? Dude...
Funny! No two separate events, I assure you:D

gaga
06-13-2008, 12:45
in this heat whit a 30 lb. backpack if you don`t drink more water than a V8 engine does gasoline, you end up dehydrated and worst: having a heat stroke, even if you are young and healthy, so "cut it short" and do it in spring or fall, you find more water anyway.

Bear Cables
06-13-2008, 16:00
in this heat whit a 30 lb. backpack if you don`t drink more water than a V8 engine does gasoline, you end up dehydrated and worst: having a heat stroke, even if you are young and healthy, so "cut it short" and do it in spring or fall, you find more water anyway.

You're absolutley right. And being not so young but healthy cutting it short was the right thing to do. We will continue in the spring. My husband was worried that my pride would get in the way of my common sense. I think he trust my judgement more now.