PDA

View Full Version : Liner Socks vs. Blisters - Poll

jlb2012
02-17-2004, 09:04
There is some question as to the worth of liner socks when it comes to blisters so I am asking for ya'lls opinion.

Reverie
02-17-2004, 09:08
I use a pair of ankle high womans nylon socks under my wicking socks. This has practically eliminated hot spots and blisters. The other plus to this combination is that my feet are pretty much dry at the end of a hard day of hiking.

SGT Rock
02-17-2004, 09:30
I just use the liners instead of socks.

Kozmic Zian
02-17-2004, 10:28
Yea.....Liners. We tried it both ways years ago. The key is to get your foot not to slide around in the boot, while also, not being too tight. I experimented with different liner and outer sox. The liner helps in the wicking process. It releases moisture from the foot into the outer sock. The idea being to keep the sweat away from the foot preventing sliding up and down, and resulting blisters. If the liner and sock combo are two thick, the pressure is felt immediately. There are many different thicknesses and materials. I personally like to use men's (K-mart specials)white or black nylon dress socks(cheap, compared to 6-10$ a pair for fancy 'hiking liners'). Plus, you toss 'em when they get funky. They wick really well. The outer sock is really a choice, so many different kinds available. I like an outer that is fairly thin(unlike Thorlo's) and cool. Preferably a stretchy, tight fit, so there are no bulges and sags. The idea is to get the boot to where its just tight enough not to slide up and down on the heel, and loose enough to give your foot room to spread out fully when under a pack load. If you're buying new Boots, take and try the sock combo you intend to use. Know about the high volume, low volume foot thing. Socks are really important to the distance walker, because blisters and sore feet can take you right out of your hike, quick. So, try lots of combinations before you get up on The Trail. It's the only way to be sure......KZ@

Kerosene
02-17-2004, 11:20
My feet tend to sweat profusely as I hike, so it's not unusual for me to thoroughly soak a pair of SmartWools in 2-3 hours on even cooler days (it's really gross to wring that much sweat from a pair of socks). I used to bring 4 pair of wool socks and 3 pair of liners, but inevitably the wool socks would all be in a similar state of dampness within 3-4 days. I've since moved to bringing 4 pairs of liners and only 2 pairs of wool. The liners actually have a chance of drying out on all but the most humid of days, and my feet feel a whole lot better with dry liners under damp wool socks, at least for a few hours. I find that I need the padding of the thicker wool socks to be comfortable in my boots, and I haven't tried cross-trainers yet because of my weak ankles (the mid-height boots may not keep you from rolling over but they force you to be more aware) and the rocky trails I've endured in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Kozmic Zian
02-17-2004, 11:26
Yea.....Kerosene. Maybe you could try a 'cooler' outer sock. SmartWools tend to wear a little warm (wool?). There are lots o' socks that are made of different fabric combos that 'wear' alot cooler. Cool Max, and others. Try a pair with your liner of choice, maybe your feets won't get so wet. (?)....KZ@

jojo0425
02-17-2004, 12:41
I use Bridgedale hiking socks. With liners I got blisters, without liners no blisters. These socks are great when they get soaking wet too, just take 'em off and wring 'em out and they're dry.

Sierra Trading Post sells them, that's where I got mine. www.sierratradingpost.com

Daddy Longlegs
02-17-2004, 18:18
i always wear liner socks and hardly ever get a blister. if my wife forgets to wear her liners then she always gets a blister.

Doctari
02-17-2004, 20:21
I have worn liners, and not. I get blisters or not, with them & without. The liners seem to make no difference. I will still carry them, they are great as camp socks.

Doctari.

steve hiker
02-17-2004, 22:05
I've never gotten a blister wearing a liner sock and outer sock. Recently, I tried hiking without the liner socks, and got a blister. Now I'm back to the liner/outer combo for good.

I use Smartwool outer socks and Fox River X-Static liners.

Peaks
02-18-2004, 10:25
If you listen to foot experts, there is a difference of opinion on liners.

Some say that liners are worthwhile for the old ragg wool sock, but are not needed with the modern hiking sock, like smart wool and all the other brands that most of us use.

So, provided your socks are not worn out, maybe liners are not needed.

My opinion is that liners can't hurt, so wear them until you know that your feet are broken in enough to go without.

Jaybird
02-28-2004, 11:19
There is some question as to the worth of liner socks when it comes to blisters so I am asking for ya'lls opinion.

Liner socks.................i don't need NO STINKIN' LINER SOCKS! :p

give me some good ol' SmartWools or other synthetic wicking socks & i'm good for quite a few miles....

see ya'll UP the trail!

wlvn1
04-01-2004, 17:12
I use a pair of ankle high womans nylon socks under my wicking socks. This has practically eliminated hot spots and blisters. The other plus to this combination is that my feet are pretty much dry at the end of a hard day of hiking.
I did the same when I was in the Army in Germany. Especially on cold, snowy days, it made a big differance on a long hike. (Of course, my Columbia's are quite a bit better than jump boots!)

Now I use very thin men's nylon dress socks under smart-wool. Works for me.

JAK
04-28-2004, 20:38
Anyone should be able to prevent blisters in cold weather, even very wet cold weather. The real challenge is hot weather, wet or dry, with heavy load and problem feet, and lots of sand and gravel and crud about.

Protocol for preventing blisters:
1. reduce load on feet and sweating of feet with lighter load and cooler clothing.
2. wear very thin cooling socks or alternate between thick cushiony socks and thin cooling liners.
3. wear well cushioned footwear that breathe well but stop most crud from getting into places.
4. frequent foot checks to cool feet and clean out crud.
5. wade in cold water whenever opportunity presents.
6. walking in bare feet whenever opportunity presents.

For 3, running shoes are best, but you still need frequent foot checks and may as well alternate socks.

For 6 - Why wait until camp to walk around barefoot for a bit? Pine needle forest floors without too many stumps and rocks are ideal - in moderation depending on load and foot type. Completely barefoot, the crud is now working in your favour massaging and cooling and cleaning and toughening your feet.

Footslogger
04-28-2004, 22:25
Wore liner socks all the way from Springer to Katahdin on my thru last year. Had some feet issues but NO blisters.

I like the concept of a liner sock. At the end of a long day of hiking I remember pulling off my outer sock and leaving my liner on. The moisture in my liner sock immediately began to evaporate and cooled my feet. I liked that feeling so much that I often stopped during the day and took off my shoe and outer sock just for the cooling effect.

I've heard stories both ways but for me the liner socks work and I'm stickin with em.

'Slogger

Ramble~On
04-29-2004, 06:08
I own Chacos....other than that the only thing that goes on my feet are hiking boots.....build massive callous and blisters are something that people complain about but not me...I haven't had a blister since......somewhere in GA in 1996.

SGT Rock
04-29-2004, 06:15
I reduced my hiking socks to just sock liners when I went to running shoes back about 2 or 3 years ago. I got to thinking about needing all that sock for runinc sheas and have now decided to try these low cut running socks. I have only hiked about 10 miles total in them and they work great, and I plan to try them out on the AT soon. They are very comfortable and dry super fast:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=11764

And they weigh an average of 0.9 ounces each.

Teatime
04-29-2004, 13:45
Have used coomax liner socks in the past, especially during Ga. A.T. section hike last year. I had no problems at all. My outer sock was an REI Expedtion weight wool sock, similar to Smartwool. However, I just returned from a Harpers Ferry to Front Royal, Va. section hike and had blisters the second day out. Go figure. The only change I had made was my boot insole. I had been using the Superfeet liners but they weren't cushy enough so I switched to Spenco Hiker liners, which I prefer. I fixed up my blisters and stopped wearing the liners after that. I had no further problems after that. As someone else said, they are good around camp but I doubt I'll hike in them anymore. Also, has anyone tried the Fox River sythetic hiking sock? They're very thick and wick moisture like crazy.

gravityman
04-29-2004, 14:03
I like the extra cushion from a Smartwool type sock.

I also wear the liners. Not sure how much they help, but it just works for me. No blisters from hiking.

My wife doesn't wear the lines, and likes the ankle length socks. She very rarely gets blisters.

We both have trail runners.

Gravity Man

eyahiker
04-29-2004, 23:04
Well I've been using just two burlap bags and a couple of feet of duck tape..............

Actually, I just found a very cool pair of silky lightweight socks that have toes in them - anybody ever use these? I figured they fit snuggly around each toe and would be good as a liner, especially for the in between blister situation that sometimes happens.

Do any name brands have these as well? I've seen the one toe "mitten" type oriental socks before.........:-?

sakkit
06-29-2004, 20:23
I use Defeet socks as liners. These are cycling socks. They have perveration on the top and wick moisture very well. My outer socks are a type of Polor Fleece 100. My wife makes these for me. No problems with blisters. I also think having proper fitting hiking boots will help prevent blisters.
Sakkit

Pencil Pusher
06-29-2004, 21:25
If you're prone to blisters, duct tape the problem areas before the hike begins. Tape to skin, that is.

Nightwalker
06-29-2004, 22:52
Yea.....Kerosene. Maybe you could try a 'cooler' outer sock. SmartWools tend to wear a little warm (wool?). There are lots o' socks that are made of different fabric combos that 'wear' alot cooler. Cool Max, and others. Try a pair with your liner of choice, maybe your feets won't get so wet. (?)....KZ@

I use cheap--97 cent--men's nylon dress socks for liners, and cheap--2 pairs for 4 bucks--Cool Max athletic socks from Wilson. No blisters EVER with that combo.

I always get a blister on my left little toe with Thorlos. No idea why.

Alligator
06-30-2004, 09:12
I use cheap--97 cent--men's nylon dress socks for liners, and cheap--2 pairs for 4 bucks--Cool Max athletic socks from Wilson. No blisters EVER with that combo.

I always get a blister on my left little toe with Thorlos. No idea why.
If it's boots you are wearing, a good outfitter might be able to stretch that part of the boot.

I use one pair of liners and Thorlos. I always get a blister on the back of my heal. It never forms a callous that stays. I tried switching to two pairs of liners socks. No heel blister, but then I get a massive blister between the big toe and next toe. Typically, I just prevently tape, but I would prefer not to have to do this every morning. I'm considering switching to trail runners.

Kerosene
06-30-2004, 14:58
I use a thin liner (usually Fox River brand) with a SmartWool outer sock. I don't get blisters, but my little toes tend to bunch up and wear away the skin. Unfortunately, duct tape doesn't stick on the toe for long, regardless of the extent of taping, since my feet sweat so much. I use gel-filled toe caps for the "index" toes which helps a lot, but they don't stay in place for the smaller toes. Any ideas?

Stuart
06-30-2004, 17:39
On a recent trip went with liners and med socks in a New Balance shoe, which was likely overkill, but I was trying to adjust volume more than prevent blisters. Third day out decided to ditch the liners and ended up with blisters. This may have been caused by fit rather than having to do with one or two layers of socks. Still I think I'll stick with the liners, particularly until I come up with footwear that fits perfectly. The fit seems to be the biggest issue and recently I my foot has changed making this a real problem for me. I think I'll put up an new topic about it.

Pencil Pusher
06-30-2004, 17:39
How about armpit antiperspirant? If it can keep the armpit from dripping, maybe it can do the same for the feet.

Kerosene
06-30-2004, 19:24
How about armpit antiperspirant? If it can keep the armpit from dripping, maybe it can do the same for the feet.I've already tried it but it only seemed to help for 30 minutes or so.

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2004, 01:53
Then I recommend a bilge pump for your liquid dogs;)

Alligator
07-01-2004, 07:52
The suggest way to use antiperspirant is to apply it in the month before hiking so that the feet will be trained to perspire less. There are different regimines advocated. I have tried spraying every other day for a month. This has helped a lot, as long as I remember to use the antiperspirant. I have a basket with all my socks in it, so I place the spray in there to remind myself. I have also used petroleum jelly on problem spots. There are professional products that may last longer, I just by the $0.50 travel tube. In nice weather, I take off the boots and let the socks dry. A liner sock will dry quite quickly in the sun, like in five minutes. After drying, reapply petroleum jelly.

Somewhere I once read a list composed of the blister prevention methods of something like 20-30 runners. Each contributed their own blister prevention method. Unfortunately, I did not save it and could not find it.

Kerosene
07-01-2004, 09:19
Thanks, 'gator. I had forgotten about the petroleum jelly so that, or perhaps Runner's Glide, might help on my little toes. I'll take a stab at pre-hike antiperspirant...it can't hurt. I carry 4 pairs of lightweight liners and change those 1-2 times a day. That way I can get by with only two thicker pair of socks (which rarely dry anyway once you use them).

A bilge pump might do the job also, but that weighs too much. Of course, it's pretty disgusting at how much sweat I can wring out of my socks after a few hours on a warmish day!

fatmatt
08-24-2004, 20:10
I used double-layer running socks...they are very thin, but expensive. Probably about $9 a pair, they work great though, no blisters. I got an occasional hot spot, but nothing developed. I think it is impossible to totally rid your feet of hot spots. Just my 2 cents though....

TDale
08-30-2004, 09:49
The thick-bottom, thin-top type synthetic hiking socks worn inside-out over liners. No blisters in boots or trail shoes.

orangebug
08-30-2004, 09:55
I used double-layer running socks...they are very thin, but expensive. Probably about $9 a pair, they work great though, no blisters. I got an occasional hot spot, but nothing developed. I think it is impossible to totally rid your feet of hot spots. Just my 2 cents though....
I'm going to try that with my Asic gel runners. I will add short gaiters to keep pebbles and briars out.

But my trusty Smartwools will be carried in my pack, just in case.

Bill...

cshir003
11-05-2004, 11:43
Well I've been using just two burlap bags and a couple of feet of duck tape..............

Actually, I just found a very cool pair of silky lightweight socks that have toes in them - anybody ever use these? I figured they fit snuggly around each toe and would be good as a liner, especially for the in between blister situation that sometimes happens.

Do any name brands have these as well? I've seen the one toe "mitten" type oriental socks before.........:-?
don't know about any other brands, but I'm a chaco Z2 user, and I was thinking that it might be nice to slip a pair of those on under my sandals. how thin are they? any comments on my idea guys?

grrickar
11-05-2004, 14:14
Ill fitting boots will cause blisters no matter what, as I just learned the hard way. My boots have been great for casual use, but for LD hiking they really left a lot to be desired. I changed socks and liners regularly, and still got blisters. I do think liners could help, but only so much...

briarpatch
11-05-2004, 15:19
If you listen to foot experts, there is a difference of opinion on liners.

Some say that liners are worthwhile for the old ragg wool sock, but are not needed with the modern hiking sock, like smart wool and all the other brands that most of us use.

So, provided your socks are not worn out, maybe liners are not needed.

My opinion is that liners can't hurt, so wear them until you know that your feet are broken in enough to go without.
This matches my experience exactly. I used to wear liners all the time with the old rag wool socks, with no blisters. With the newer hiking socks, I find that I get heel blisters if I wear liners. I stopped using liners, and have had no blister problems since.

TakeABreak
11-05-2004, 21:23
I have tried various socks and liner combinations, and have that with new boots even calist(spelling?) feet can get blisters. But smart wool hiker socks work best for me.

The best way I have found to prevent blisters is to brake-in both the boots and feet slowly, and change your socks a couple of times a day, when first starting out, to keep them cool and dry. Feet without callists(spelling?) and new boots make for the worst of combinations.

ffstenger
11-06-2004, 03:19
I think the boot / shoe type that you use makes a difference as well.
But since I do everything backwards anyway.... I put my wool socks on
first, then a thinner outter sock. On over 300 miles of AT and MANY more
miles close to home I've never had a blister!

rigwitchdoctor
05-30-2005, 19:04
depends on the weather for me... in the summer just a pair of the lightest smartwools i can find... in the winter i really find the liners help me cut down on overall bulk but keeps my dogs nice and toasty...

will definatly have to give the burlap and duck tape a try though, i get the feeling ive been missing out on something LOL