PDA

View Full Version : Portable showers

Chance09
06-12-2008, 18:00
Does anyone actually use a portable shower in the woods? I bought a ULA amigo water filter and for another $5 it comes with a shower nozzle instead of just using it to fill up your water bottle.

I can't imagine using it or even wanting to use it until it was warm out but i would imagine that it would feel pretty good after a nice long hot day of hiking.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2008, 18:24
Some people warm up some water, soap up and use this to rinse off. It does feel wonderful after a long, hot sweaty day of hiking. I've been known to use something like this when a campfire is already going (to heat the water).

Bob S
06-12-2008, 18:30
Camp shower weigh a lot, if you are willing to put up with the weight they are great.

An alternative is to pack a 1 qt spray bottle (like an old Windex sprayer) and fill it with water (clear water, no soap) you heated up on a stove. Wipe off with a soap filled cloth and then rinse with the pump sprayer.

Chance09
06-12-2008, 18:42
The filter i'm using is a gravity filter that only weighs 7.5oz (off the top of my head). For a shower nozzle its only another .5oz so weights not really an issue. I was just wondering if anyone actually uses them.

Appalachian Tater
06-12-2008, 19:30
Not too much.

saimyoji
06-12-2008, 19:55
The filter i'm using is a gravity filter that only weighs 7.5oz (off the top of my head). For a shower nozzle its only another .5oz so weights not really an issue. I was just wondering if anyone actually uses them.

The same can be done as follows: If you use a water bottle, get another one just like it, take the cap, drill/pole holes in it to make it a shower head. Then just hang the bottle upside down to shower. Of course, its not much different than just pouring the water bottle over your head.

mudhead
06-12-2008, 20:15
The water bottle trick works, if it is warm out, but I would rather stink or swim.

PJ 2005
06-12-2008, 22:03
It's always good to smell pretty in the woods

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2008, 22:22
If I was car camping or base camping in the woods, I would take a portable shower. But for a long hike, its not worth carrying a shower bag and soap.

I would just use alcohol wipes and no water cleanser to clean up. Or go all-natural...trail stink keeps the bears away. lol

Monkeywrench
06-13-2008, 08:25
I usually just use my cooking pot to dip water out of the stream. I pour one pot full over my head stream-side, then scoop up another pot full and carry it away from the stream, soap up starting with my head and working down, then use the second pot full of water to rinse off.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-13-2008, 09:04
Here's one approach http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35282

Kevin A. Boyce
06-13-2008, 09:11
Sea to Summit actually makes a Pocket Shower that is a dry bag with a shower head attached on it. So you can use it as a dry bag when obivously not in use as your shower. It folds up into a little case; personally I would leave the case home or use it for your eyeglasses, and it is pretty handy.

Alligator
06-13-2008, 09:25
The same can be done as follows: If you use a water bottle, get another one just like it, take the cap, drill/pole holes in it to make it a shower head. Then just hang the bottle upside down to shower. Of course, its not much different than just pouring the water bottle over your head.I carry a cap like this, it flows a lot slower than dumping the whole bottle. You can even heat up a pot a water. My 3 liter platypus works well with this method. I've only used it a time or two though, there's usually a shower somewhere along the way after four or five days, or a stream for a dip. An added use for the cap is washing your pot.

Also, an onion mesh bag with a drawstring top is useful to hold the water bladder. I have one I keep my fuel bottle and windscreen in on the outside pocket of my pack.

joec
06-13-2008, 10:19
I take one with me and leave it in the car. When I come out of the woods, it is there for me to use. My last 3 day hike, I came out, drove to a secluded spot, put it one the top of my car and soaped down, rinsed off and shaved. It was well worth it.

Incahiker
06-13-2008, 12:47
I usually just use my cooking pot to dip water out of the stream. I pour one pot full over my head stream-side, then scoop up another pot full and carry it away from the stream, soap up starting with my head and working down, then use the second pot full of water to rinse off.

The greatest ideas are the simplest ones. Thanks for the tip. If I'm smelling something awful then I will use this method:)

Monkeywrench
06-13-2008, 13:27
The greatest ideas are the simplest ones. Thanks for the tip. If I'm smelling something awful then I will use this method:)

Just remember that your cooking pot is now contaminated with non-treated water. That's usually no big deal, since I'm likely to be boiling water the next time I use the pot.

Spock
06-13-2008, 20:13
An easy, lightweight portable shower:
1 platypus, any size - to be used for carrying water until you change the cap and screw on:
1 extra platy cap with a few very small holes burned through with a pin.

Small holes (no more than 5) give a good spray.

Rockhound
06-13-2008, 20:27
Of all the pack lists I've seen on this site I can't recall any that included a portable shower, but if you feel a strong enough desire to carry one the go for it. Hike your own hike as they say. Also if we happen to be at the same shelter one night do you think I could use it when you're done?

Alligator
06-13-2008, 22:13
Of all the pack lists I've seen on this site I can't recall any that included a portable shower, but if you feel a strong enough desire to carry one the go for it. Hike your own hike as they say. Also if we happen to be at the same shelter one night do you think I could use it when you're done?I've carried around a cap with drilled holes on trips for at least seven years now. I mainly use it to wash my dishes, but for the weight of a soda cap, it isn't a big deal to have.

The real problem is that if do you use it, you realize how funky everyone else smells:(.

Chance09
06-13-2008, 22:33
Of all the pack lists I've seen on this site I can't recall any that included a portable shower, but if you feel a strong enough desire to carry one the go for it. Hike your own hike as they say. Also if we happen to be at the same shelter one night do you think I could use it when you're done?

my shower is a .5oz nozzle that just goes onto the pre-existing gravity water filter i'm already going to be carrying. thefilter is onl 7.5 oz itself and your more than welcome to use it

buz
06-16-2008, 11:18
i am with alligator. If you use a bladder, and want a shower, just carry a poly or mesh bag, which you may already have. Tent bag works also. I happen to have a nozzle from real solar shower that fits perfectly on my bladder hose, but I am sure you could figure out something. Hang up, rinse off, stop flow, soap up, rinse off. No problem with 3 liter bladder. I stand on a little piece of ridge rest that doubles as my butt pad. Very refreshing if you have "extra" water, or are near good source.

partinj
06-16-2008, 12:09
If you have a MSR Dromedary Bag 2 or 4 liter you can their Shower Kit for form campmor.com that way you have a water bag and shower bag. Here is a Picture of the kit http://www.campmor.com/images/acc/21119.jpg

Homer&Marje
06-26-2008, 09:42
My plan on the 09 thru attempt is a 1 gallon milk jug, plastic of course, screw on cap preferable, with a 3' piece on nylon rope or twine or something. poke 8-10 holes in a circle on the bottom, go to the river, fill it up, heat it up if you want, if you dont... dont. screw on the cap and hold it upsidedown till you get to a convenient branch, 1 that is above your head but not too far, something you can get the loop of rope around, hang it about 2 ft from the tree, flip it over and shower quick!
Happy Trails

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 09:44
My plan on the 09 thru attempt is a 1 gallon milk jug, plastic of course, screw on cap preferable, with a 3' piece on nylon rope or twine or something. poke 8-10 holes in a circle on the bottom, go to the river, fill it up, heat it up if you want, if you dont... dont. screw on the cap and hold it upsidedown till you get to a convenient branch, 1 that is above your head but not too far, something you can get the loop of rope around, hang it about 2 ft from the tree, flip it over and shower quick!
Happy TrailsThat's a good idea in theory but you'll ditch it at Neels Gap, don't bother with it.

Homer&Marje
06-26-2008, 10:16
I wont ditch it. I'm gonna make the wife carry it.:D

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 10:23
I wont ditch it. I'm gonna make the wife carry it.:DMy best advice is to but a lot of effort into getting quality, light-weight gear now while you can get it on sale and have the leisure of researching it. Don't kid yourself about it being worth it to carry a lot of "luxury" items, luxury is not having to carry a lot of weight. On a thru-hike you are going to spend most of your time climbing up and down mountains especially during the long days of summer.

You also have time for a shake-down hike.

greentick
06-27-2008, 01:34

to cut out a step mix the soap into that second pot and pour the soapy water on and scrub away...

Homer&Marje
06-27-2008, 07:26
My best advice is to but a lot of effort into getting quality, light-weight gear now while you can get it on sale and have the leisure of researching it. Don't kid yourself about it being worth it to carry a lot of "luxury" items, luxury is not having to carry a lot of weight. On a thru-hike you are going to spend most of your time climbing up and down mountains especially during the long days of summer.

You also have time for a shake-down hike.

Done 2 shakedown hikes already, fully loaded my pack should be 23 pounds and the wifes should be 18, doing a weekend hike for 30 miles next friday to test my alky stoves and see which works best. Also doing fuel consumption math and stuff... i think i can handle the 1 oz plastic jug over a thru hike, but then again i might get pissed off at the world around me and try not to be a clean human being once or twice a week and let those around me suffer, but you are right, if i don't use it or it turns out completely useless and time consuming in some way, it goes into the first trash can i see. But for free, and for 1 oz of weight we'll see what happens