PDA

View Full Version : Ramsey Cascades manway ... the other one

Ashepabst
06-12-2008, 21:14
for the first time, i've noticed on the national geographic smokies map a spur trail going north off of the ramsey cascades trail, about 1.5 miles up from the trailhead. has anyone ever made this trek up greenbriar pinnacle? is it worth the climb?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2008, 21:37
I've done it - it was overgrown with rhododendrons and barely there about six years ago. The pinnacle has a view in the winter, but not summer.

EAnderson
06-12-2008, 22:53
for the first time, i've noticed on the national geographic smokies map a spur trail going north off of the ramsey cascades trail, about 1.5 miles up from the trailhead. has anyone ever made this trek up greenbriar pinnacle? is it worth the climb?

I came down it this spring. We went up the Catstairs and then hooked up with the that trail close to the old tower site to complete the loop. The best view is an overlook 10 minutes below the tower site, but as stated, it may be gone in the summer. The trail was very clear, and was in better shape than a few "maintained" trails in the park. Just a few blowdowns, but none too difficult to get around. There was one tricky stream crossing that should be OK this time of year. I was told the trail had been closed due to nesting peregrine falcons, but that they are no longer in the area. After going up the Catstairs, it seemed pretty easy going.

humunuku
06-15-2008, 19:27
Did is a year or two ago - It was easy to follow and as mentioned, the best view was before you get to the top. I was slightly overgrown the last half mile to the top....nothing big deal. Never could find that catstairs trail though...

krummholz
02-01-2009, 12:17
There's not really a manway on the Catstairs--it's just a route that's been taken a number of times, and you might find a sign here or there that someone's been there before. Best way is to follow the Old Settler's Trail to Little Bird Branch, then go up the stream until you hit the ridge that runs north of the old firetower site. Turn right up the ridge, and you'll be on the Catstairs. You could do it from the top too, but it's more fun to do the "stairs" going up than down!:)

Doctari
02-02-2009, 11:43
It used to actually be a trail, AND the trailhead was actually at that point. When I passed through there in 89 the trail was stilll visible, to the Left of the Ramsey trail. The blacktop that was the road to the trails & the parking area was still visible then also, but rapidly being reclaimed.

Along that trail is where Dolly Parton's family lived, & where she was born. A repro of her cabin there is at Dollywood, or so I hear.

krummholz
02-02-2009, 11:52
Yes, there used to be a trail up to Greenbrier Pinnacle. What I and a couple other people were mentioning was the Catstairs, which has never had a trail on it, but that way also leads to the top of Greenbrier Pinnacle. You can do a loop going off-trail up the Catstairs and down the old unmaintained Pinnacle trail, as E. Anderson described.

grumpy.old.1
02-02-2009, 23:35
was just up there on the 1st. you can still see clearly where that trails turns off ramsey cascade trail. never been thru it though.

heres a pic from the other day.