PDA

View Full Version : How to get started out of Springer.

Bruce Hudson
06-12-2008, 22:48
Looking for some directions. Previous experience was last summer for Hot Springs to Atkins. This summer's plan is Smith Mountain to Hot Springs. But jsut how to get to Springer, the actual launch point, where to leave a car, the safety of the car left for a month or all questions I have. The intent is to leave about this time next week.

Bruce Hudson

Bare Bear
06-13-2008, 00:25
Drive to Neel's Gap and leave the car at Blood Mountain Cabins. Take the shuttle (Fred $60 per car load in 06) to the forest Road (FSR 42?) .9 north of Springer and hike up the hill to the first blaze. Then retrace down and keep north. When you finish go back and pick up the car. Blood Mountain cabins are nice, can take three couples but two would be better. Ran about $65 with tax. Get some hikers to share if you can. Its is cheaper at the Hostle but lots of minor thefts, watch your gear, wallets, cash, knives....

max patch
06-13-2008, 07:08
Amicalola State Park. Safe parking. $2. 8 mile blue blaze (old AT) to Springer.

Dances with Mice
06-13-2008, 08:32
Amicalola State Park. Safe parking. $2. 8 mile blue blaze (old AT) to Springer.Exactly right. Easier to get to and an easier place to return. Your car will be safe there.

Summit
06-13-2008, 11:23
"How to get started out of Springer." Put the left foot forward followed by the right one, or if you prefer, start with the right one! :D :p Have a great hike! :)

Ghosthiker
06-13-2008, 12:10
"How to get started out of Springer." Put the left foot forward followed by the right one, or if you prefer, start with the right one! :D :p Have a great hike! :)

When I saw the title of this thread, I just knew someone would say this. :rolleyes: LOL

Just Jack
06-13-2008, 12:12
Think that with the price of gas what it is--shuttle prices will bee up!

Bruce Hudson
06-13-2008, 13:13
Not that I would expect anything less, but great info as usual. I'll be headed to AMicalola on the 19th.

Bruce Hudson

minnesotasmith
06-14-2008, 09:29
Exactly right. Easier to get to and an easier place to return. Your car will be safe there.

Your vehicle will be safer parked within sight of the ranger station, just a little ways inside the park entrance, than it will up by the top of the Falls.

10-K
06-16-2008, 21:10
Looking for some directions. Previous experience was last summer for Hot Springs to Atkins. This summer's plan is Smith Mountain to Hot Springs. But jsut how to get to Springer, the actual launch point, where to leave a car, the safety of the car left for a month or all questions I have. The intent is to leave about this time next week.

Bruce Hudson

Have you considered parking in Hot Springs and getting a shuttle to Springer? There are some good parking spots in Hot Springs and there's nothing like finishing a hike back at the car instead of having to figure out how to get a ride back to where the car was left. Also, by parking at Hot Springs you could start at FS42 like Bare Bear suggested and skip the 8 mile approach trail (Unless that's just something you want to do).

Ronnie McGaha shuttles in that part of the world - I used him for a shuttle out of Davenport Gap. His website is http://www.bellsouthpwp2.net/m/d/mdron/mcgahahome.htm - nice guy.

Summit
06-16-2008, 22:37
I always prefer to hike to my vehicle. I would inquire about safe parking in Hot Springs and then get a shuttle to the .9 miles from Springer trailhead. Then you don't have the shuttle / hitchhike looming over you the entire hike. I like walking up to my vehicle when finishing a hike and being able to say "finished!" :)