PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Tavern

DebW
02-17-2004, 10:08
This place is on the LT in Johnson, VT. They allow free camping out back, down by the river - it's actually behind a row of trees, so you're not visible from the road or the tavern. Free showers also available if you ask. The owner gave us the key to the building so we could us the bathroom. Since it was pouring rain the next morning, the 2 of us and our dog hung out in the tavern for hours before it opened. We let in 4 other hikers as well, so when the owner arrived at 2 pm, the tavern was pretty full. He didn't seem to mind.

DebW
02-17-2004, 10:18
This B&B is in Richmond, VT. They cater to hikers and do allow dogs. They actually don't advertise, so there's a chance they won't be full when you arrive. Call from Jonesville, and if they have space, Papa Bowers will come pick you up. If they don't have space, Papa Bowers might help you find another place to stay in town. Mama Bowers is a wonderful cook - breakfast was omelets with homegrown tomatoes, several kinds of bread, jams, and the most wonderful fruit salad I ever ate.

SavageLlama
03-04-2005, 23:55
Good place for a pint of Long Trail ale. Classic backwoods town bar. When I was there the entertainment that had everyone captivated was two dogs trying to hump on the floor. Gotta luv it.

neighbor dave
12-30-2005, 18:50
they've finished the bridge over the river,hence the tavern and road walk past it are no longer on the trail. but i.m.o. it's definately worth the side trip!!! mmmmm. rock art i.p.a. from a local brewery in morristown!!:welcome :sun

Sly
12-31-2005, 01:09
they've finished the bridge over the river,hence the tavern and road walk past it are no longer on the trail. but i.m.o. it's definately worth the side trip!!!

Geez, that the 2nd bar/tavern I know of they've relocated away from. Thank God for blueblazes!

Mountain Gal
07-04-2006, 23:07
Does anyone know of any inexpensive lodging within reasonable driving distance of the trail near Jonesville? I will be picking up a friend who is currently nobo and plans to take a zero there. I'll be in a car, so we can drive a ways...just need a place that isn't going to bankrupt us. He should be there around the 22nd of this month, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Katy

Sly
07-04-2006, 23:49
Does anyone know of any inexpensive lodging within reasonable driving distance of the trail near Jonesville? I will be picking up a friend who is currently nobo and plans to take a zero there. I'll be in a car, so we can drive a ways...just need a place that isn't going to bankrupt us. He should be there around the 22nd of this month, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Katy

I don't remember anything in Jonesville but Richmond isn't far away and has Moma Bowers. No one was home when we passed by so we crashed in the town park. :)

Sly
07-04-2006, 23:53
Mama Bowers Bed & Breakfast offers a more modest European flair at highly reasonable prices. Mama herself provides the ol' world continental breakfasts. Long a favorite of Long Trail through-hikers. Bathrooms are shared, but so are the good times. No web site, but you can still get information and a reservation the old fashioned way: 802-434-2632

http://www.windekindfarms.com/Media/lodging_files/MamaBower.jpg

Mountain Gal
07-05-2006, 02:11
Thanks so much for the info, Sly. I'll check that place out.
Katy

mrc237
07-05-2006, 08:56
I got the chance to stay there just a few weeks ago Highly recommended. Call first because their sign may say No Vacancy thats because they are both elderly and they don't get to re-make the rooms like they used to. They don't do laundry but the 'mat is nearby they do supply detergent though. Pizza right across the street and other eateries a block away. Tell them EZ says "Getting old ain't for sissies"

mrc237
07-05-2006, 09:00
Hey Sly didn't we stay there in 03'. I don't remember it and I got it confused with the Hydeaway Inn which we stayed at in Appalachian Gap

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 15:31
This place is on the LT in Johnson, VT. They allow free camping out back, down by the river - it's actually behind a row of trees, so you're not visible from the road or the tavern. Free showers also available if you ask.

for whatever reason the End-To-Enders guide does not mention you can stay at the tavern and take a shower. i think the editor is biased towards the Awesome View Hikers hostel. the bartender was pissed about it not being mentioned in the book

Slow n' Steady
01-23-2017, 08:35
Any new hostels in the northern section? Mama Bowers is closed and the LT Tavern has a new owner and I don't see Awesome View in the E2e guide. Doing the LT this summer and would like a stop for a shower, mail drop and town food.